SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-04-07, 03:46 AM   #1
Payoff
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
[REL] "Ahead 2/3" Sound Mod + Missing "Crash Dive" Voices

I was hoping someone else would do this, but could'nt listen to "Ahead Slow" any longer.

AHEAD 2/3 Sound Mod + Missing Crash Dive Voices

* This mod will change the "Ahead Slow" sound files in all 9 speech folders to say "Ahead Two Thirds". I have edited these sound files using existing dialogue in each folder to match all 9 voices.

* Added missing "Crash Dive" Sound files to Speech folders 1,3,4,6,7 & 9. Now all Chiefs will say "Crash Dive" when ordered, in the proper voice.

* I have also made a new (clean) sound file for "Ahead 1/3" in voice folder 9, as the stock sound file was distorted.

Note:
* As sound editing is very time consuming, this mod only includes the Normal state at the moment. When I complete the Panniced state (yelling) & Silent Running state (whispers) I will post them in this thread.

* There are only 3 Voice actors representing the crew. The other 6 voices are produced by speeding up or slowing down the original voices.

* Voice actor #3 uses an odd vocal nuance when he says the word "Third", so this one was trickier (pull my hair out) to edit than the others.

* * * OPTIONAL * * *
If you would like the on screen messages to match the spoken words, just add the line below in ORANGE to your SHIV / Data / Menu / Menu.txt
It looks funny, but it's correct.

1010=All stop
1011=Ahead two thirds
1012=Ahead one third
1013=Ahead standard
1014=Ahead full
1015=Ahead flank
1016=Back slow
1017=Back standard
1018=Back full
1019=Back emergency

This mod is JSGME ready.

http://hosted.filefront.com/Payoff/

PAYOFF
"Hit Shokaku class carrier with three out of six torpedos. Recieved 105 depth charges during three hour period. Heard four terrific explosions in the direction of target, two and one half hours after attack. Believe that baby sank!" Lieutenant Commander Herman Kossler USS Cavalla

Last edited by Payoff; 05-09-07 at 12:40 PM.
Payoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 04:00 AM   #2
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Nice. I have to admit, ahead slow in the wrong location is annoying.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 04:21 AM   #3
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Location: Pretty close to the big german cruiser Blücher in Norway
Downloads: 29

I thought about fixing this myself, but you did it first!

Thanks a lot!
kakemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 06:19 AM   #4
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

, cuz i've been rather annoyed with the engine telegraph orders

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1
Capt. Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 06:36 AM   #5
Dutchtub
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payoff
I was hoping someone else would do this, but could'nt listen to "Ahead Slow" any longer.

AHEAD 2/3 Sound Mod + Missing Crash Dive Voices

Thank you , its a lot better
Dutchtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 08:01 AM   #6
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

took it for a spin and it seems to work, tho it reverted to the original after a watch change. also, it's still the original when you back engines

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1
Old 05-04-07, 08:24 AM   #7
Payoff
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Shark Bait
took it for a spin and it seems to work, tho it reverted to the original after a watch change. also, it's still the original when you back engines
Thats odd, when I was testing it I would drag every crewman an the boat to the chiefs position to check all of the voices without a problem, and using the mod actually replaces some sound files, so they should always be there regardless of the crew. You're right on the reverse telegraph orders, I rarely use any of the reverse speeds so I did'nt even think about those. I'm going to go into high TC and see what happens with the crew.
"Hit Shokaku class carrier with three out of six torpedos. Recieved 105 depth charges during three hour period. Heard four terrific explosions in the direction of target, two and one half hours after attack. Believe that baby sank!" Lieutenant Commander Herman Kossler USS Cavalla
Old 05-04-07, 08:28 AM   #8
EAF274 Johan
Ensign

Downloads: 94

Payoff,

Do you know if there are any particular specifications for the .ogg files in the Speech folders?

I tried adding a few more custom .ogg files into the other folders (2-9) and this caused a CTD. There is another crew speech mod by kiwi_2005 (link here), but it only works if the new .ogg files are placed into the 1 folder.
Old 05-04-07, 08:44 AM   #9
Payoff
Captain

The ogg's have to be MONO. If you convert them as STEREO they will cause a CTD.
Old 05-04-07, 08:58 AM   #10
EAF274 Johan
Ensign

Downloads: 94

Thanks! I'll check the files.

And thanks for the mod of course
Old 05-04-07, 06:41 PM   #11
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

just went out again, and the night watches seem to be the ones who revert to the original

Old 05-04-07, 10:27 PM   #12
Payoff
Captain

I ran a high TC test today spanning countless crew changes, and the sound files were rock solid, never changed once. Just to clarify, once the mod is enabled, the only file change is: "Ahead Slow" becomes "Ahead Two Thirds". That is the only change you will hear, with the addition of "Crash Dive" which was not present in 6 of the 9 speech folders to begin with. The mod is designed to allow for all nine voices to rotate as per the stock game. I dont doubt your findings, but as I said earlier, once the mod is enabled, it physically changes those sound files. I dont understand how it could revert back to a file that, as far as the game is concerned, does not exist.:hmm:
When you say it reverts back, can you tell me exactly what you mean.
*When you hit the Ahead Two Thirds command what do you hear?
*Are the crew in the Normal (relaxed) state, Panniced state or Silent Running when you get this?
*Also are you running any other sound mods along with this one?

Last edited by Payoff; 05-04-07 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 06:28 AM   #13
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

he'll say ahead 2/3drs then after a while it'll be ahead slow, and it doesn't necessarily have to be just the night watch. happened the other day during the day. it's a bit strange . i've got the CBS mod on, and it's pretty much any state

Old 05-07-07, 04:52 PM   #14
Fercyful
Medic

Downloads: 97

nice! thanks

Old 05-08-07, 04:29 PM   #15
wildchild
Chief

Downloads: 0