SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-07, 08:19 PM   #1
zAmboni
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default [REL] Retro Navmap Tools --- now in JGSME format!

Edit - Now in JGSME format

Here is my first attempt at a mod for SH4. This mod gets rid of the bottom left navtools and puts them up in the top right corner ala SH3. This is really a sorta beta release, so any feedback/help/fixes would be greatly appreciated. It also places the course plotting tool back where it should be!

Download Here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/zamb0n...ronavtools.zip

Here is the readme for the mod, and a pic of the toolbar itself:
---------------------
RetroNavTools Beta release

To install with JGSME -- Unzip in the SH4\MODS folder and use JGSME to install the mod

To manually install --
1) BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL menu_1024_768.ini file!
2) Choose which version you want to install (static/dropdown) and copy the associated menu_1024_768.ini file into your SH4\Data\Menu folder.
3) Start up SH4 and enjoy!

I didn't quite like the navtools that are included in the stock SH4 install. They are just too big and takes away from valuable navmap real estate. In addition the developers decided to move the plotting tool down to the bottom menu. I have created this mod to get back to the old SH3 style navmap tools, and this release also restores the plotting tool to the navmap page.

I have included two versions, a dropdown menu like in SH3, and a static version of the menu. I will explain why there is two versions later.

Features:
1) All the functionality of the old style SH3 dropdown menu.
2) No longer is there a seperate button for "erase all", to access the "erase all" function just control-click on the erase button in the menu (I never liked the seperate button since I often mistakenly clicked the "erase all" button.
3) edge scroll on the navmap has been disabled (why? read below)

Known Problems/Bugs:
1) When the dropdown version is in it's hidden position, the supposedly hidden buttons are still functional. Clicking on the "empty" area in the top right corner may lead to unexpected tool implementation. I included a static version to avoid this accidental clicking of tools
2) Some of the toolbar menu items dissapear when clicked. This appears to be a design feature in SH4. I have yet figured a way to keep all of the menu items after clicked, if anyone knows how to fix this let me know!
3) Edge scrolling has been disabled (I never liked it to begin with). This was done because a) with the mod enabled, the screen would scroll up when I tried to access the menu b) trying to make the menu area a "dead scroll" area broke the scrolling at the bottom of the page. Just to make life simpler I just disabled it entirely.
4) Not all of the "button" area is available for activation when a tool is clicked. This is most apparent when trying to use the "mark" tool. It seems that the sim wants to use the visible portion of the tool button as an activation key. Since the "mark" tool is thin, this leads to some trouble in finding the right spot to click.
------------------------

Last edited by zAmboni; 03-25-07 at 10:42 PM. Reason: updated download
Old 03-24-07, 09:44 PM   #2
LZ_Baker
Engineer

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0

Nice job mate!
Old 03-24-07, 11:24 PM   #3
OneTinSoldier
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 46

I'd much prefer the good ole SH3 Navtools, so...

Awesome!
"Variable this is EasyRhino, do you copy? Over." Loud and clear EasyRhino. "Do we have a gig? Over." That's a Roger, we have a gig. Target is painted, start the music. "Roger that Variable. Into attack. Pickling target. Target is acquired and lit. LGB comin' down!" EasyRhino, circular error probability zero. Impact with High Order Detonation. Thank You, have a nice day.
OneTinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 05:06 AM   #4
Immacolata
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Thanks a lot.

For your next version, would you be so kind as to release it in a Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler format? Makes it easier to manage

"The power of the executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgment of his peers, is in the highest degree odious, and the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist."
- W. Churchill

Last edited by Immacolata; 03-25-07 at 05:47 AM.
Immacolata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 05:16 AM   #5
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Nice gonna grab that right away...I still fumble on the left side of the screen for the SH3 tools in game :p
Old 03-25-07, 05:22 AM   #6
Antrodemus
Torpedoman

Downloads: 5

Yet another cool mod...
Antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 12:44 PM   #7
RedHammer
Loader

Downloads: 38

Whoa! Nice! Thanks alot
Can it be used with JSGME ?

S! to all

Your friend in the Pacific

RH
RedHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 01:19 PM   #8
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Good idea!

Thanks for sharing...
Old 03-25-07, 02:26 PM   #9
zAmboni
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

There are a couple of things I need to clean up in the mod, and will get it into JSGME format...probably wont be until later tonight.
Old 03-25-07, 08:56 PM   #10
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Downloads: 59

I'll be waiting - good job!!
Barkhorn1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:46 PM   #11
zAmboni
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

OK, tried to tweak some more to get rid of the problems noted in the original post, but I either cant figure out how to fix them, or the ability to fix them are due to limitations presented in the new game engine. I suspect it is the latter, and is why there was not an option to have navtools in this format in the final game release.

If anyone else want's go fool around with it to improve upon it, by all means, go ahead. If someone needs help trying to figure out the new format of the elements in the file, drop me a message and I can help ya out.
Old 03-26-07, 05:13 PM   #12
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi zAmboni,

OneTinSoldier passed your name to me, and might I say your retro tools mod is very well apreciated by me. I did have two requests for you if you have the time. The tools in the SH3 attack map were very usefull, the bearing indicator which appear when you press the '?'. My second question regards the scroll speed of your mods. I tried to increase the speed knowing what I know from SH3, but I cannot seem to make the drop down move faster. Is there any way you can increase the scroll speed or let us know how to increase the speed?
Old 04-06-07, 06:19 PM   #13
Jungman
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

Nice work, I actually found a NAV MAP under all that original clutter!

I combined this with the smaller Chronograph. (the original wa the size of TEXAS!)

Valuable realistate was taken up by the original tool pictures.

Thanks!
Jungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 06:57 PM   #14
CyberOps
Helmsman

Downloads: 56

can this please be made compatible with the new stopwatch located at the following topic ?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110871

I would love to use both
CyberOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 02:45 AM   #15
wildchild
Chief

Downloads: 0

THAT'S BETTER THAN THE KIDDY ONE'S YOU GET