SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-07, 06:13 PM   #1
Linton
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default One for the Onkel: Want to load a Mark 14 torp onto a WWII sub?

Neal you may know about this already,but to the rest of you within reach of Galveston the Cavalla is going to be loading some fish!!
http://messdeck.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1655

Anyone who wants to help, please contact John McMichael, curator and SWP manager at macm@airmail.net

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 02-15-07 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added contact details
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 06:24 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

KEWL!!

Of course, the next time there's a Subsim get-together there they'll have to watch Drebbel REAL close!
Old 02-15-07, 11:23 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Meet me by the sea

Good post, anyone in the Houston-Galveston area, come on down to Seawolf Park. The date is Feb 24 (Sat). How many of you can say you loaded a Mark 14 torpedo onboard a WWII submarine? Now is your chance to do it!

Neal

Seawolf Park directions and map

USS CAVALLA Website: www.cavalla.org

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 02-15-07 at 11:37 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 11:55 PM   #4
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

I will be there! I'm even trying to recruit my dad who served on the Skate (SSN-578) in the early '70s to come down with me.

I've emailed for more info on whats exactly involved. Anyone else whos going to be there, send me a PM!

Looking forward to it! One question though....can we go sink some Marus with the eels we load?

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 12:31 AM   #5
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
How many of you can say you loaded a Mark 14 torpedo onboard a WWII submarine?
Me ... I volunteered to be ships swimmer in the summer of 64 on the USS Salmon SS-573 http://www.usssalmon.org/

I thought, hey if someone falls overboard I'm a pretty good swimmer, I can help them, right? Not exactly what the COB had in mind.

I found out the hard way that the job of a ships swimmer was to row out to the practice torpedo's after we fired them. Then tie a line in the nose for purposes of retrieving said torpedo and saving the US Navy a lot of money in not having to send out a special boat to do this for us.

The COB explained the job to me, a young 19 year old naive seaman, after we fired a practice torpedo off the coast of California somewhere near San Clemente Island.

We surface and the topside torpedo retrevival party reports topside. The boat held the record at 15 minutes from time of surfacing till the time the fish was back onboard.

I managed to break the record for the longest time it ever took on that beauitful summer day in the Pacific Ocean. I got into the little yellow rubber raft with a line tied to the raft and a line tied around my waist and I rowed my little raft to the practice torpedo rising and falling like a bouy with the wrll marked pointy end up.

I get to the fish in about ten minutes, but the darn thing won't stand still ... it goes up and me in my little raft go down. Everyone is yelling at me on the deck ... the captain is yelling at me from the bridge ... the scene starts to get comical.

I get the line through the bull nose and wham the boat goes down and the line slips out, everyone is yelling, so I left the saftey of the little raft and grab the fish by the nose and hog tie it like a calf roper.

Fall back into the water, grab the raft and by that time they are hauling the fish back in. I didn't have enough strength to row back to the boat, so they had to pull me back razing me of course on the way.

You learn in a hurry what volunteer means when it doesn't work out the way you thought it would ... I was very careful the rest of my time in the service not to willingly volunteer for anything again.
Old 02-16-07, 12:40 AM   #6
Bort
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 60

Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

...But on this occasion, how can you not!
I wish I could...

GT Aerospace
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 09:22 AM   #7
elite_hunter_sh3
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

will we be allowed to load a real warhead torpedo and will we be allowed to fire up her engines and set to sea for a few weeks??, it would be good to sink a ship or two on purpose
elite_hunter_sh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 10:43 AM   #8
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite_hunter_sh3
will we be allowed to load a real warhead torpedo and will we be allowed to fire up her engines and set to sea for a few weeks??, it would be good to sink a ship or two on purpose
Of course you can if you would like to spend 20 years in jail.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 03:58 PM   #9
USS Sea Tiger
XO

Downloads: 52
Default Ill be there

I work just across the bay from her at the Coast Guard base, I'll for sure be there, thanks for the posting!!
USS Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 04:17 PM   #10
Linton
Sea Lord

I am beginning to wish I was selling tickets!!Just wish I could be there!
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 05:07 PM   #11
Sixpack
Samurai Navy

I'll be there !!

Yeah right.:rotfl:
Old 02-16-07, 05:17 PM   #12
BBury
Torpedoman

Downloads: 7

I'll try to be there. My son usually has track meets on Saturday but I'll check the schedule again. What time is the party getting started?
BBury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 05:47 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konovalov
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite_hunter_sh3
Of course you can if you would like to spend 20 years in jail.
They don't hang pirates anymore? How times change!
Old 02-16-07, 05:59 PM   #14
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetrue
Quote:
How many of you can say you loaded a Mark 14 torpedo onboard a WWII submarine?
Me ... I volunteered to be ships swimmer in the summer of 64 on the USS Salmon SS-573 http://www.usssalmon.org/

I thought, hey if someone falls overboard I'm a pretty good swimmer, I can help them, right? Not exactly what the COB had in mind.

I found out the hard way that the job of a ships swimmer was to row out to the practice torpedo's after we fired them. Then tie a line in the nose for purposes of retrieving said torpedo and saving the US Navy a lot of money in not having to send out a special boat to do this for us.

The COB explained the job to me, a young 19 year old naive seaman, after we fired a practice torpedo off the coast of California somewhere near San Clemente Island.

We surface and the topside torpedo retrevival party reports topside. The boat held the record at 15 minutes from time of surfacing till the time the fish was back onboard.

I managed to break the record for the longest time it ever took on that beauitful summer day in the Pacific Ocean. I got into the little yellow rubber raft with a line tied to the raft and a line tied around my waist and I rowed my little raft to the practice torpedo rising and falling like a bouy with the wrll marked pointy end up.

I get to the fish in about ten minutes, but the darn thing won't stand still ... it goes up and me in my little raft go down. Everyone is yelling at me on the deck ... the captain is yelling at me from the bridge ... the scene starts to get comical.

I get the line through the bull nose and wham the boat goes down and the line slips out, everyone is yelling, so I left the saftey of the little raft and grab the fish by the nose and hog tie it like a calf roper.

Fall back into the water, grab the raft and by that time they are hauling the fish back in. I didn't have enough strength to row back to the boat, so they had to pull me back razing me of course on the way.

You learn in a hurry what volunteer means when it doesn't work out the way you thought it would ... I was very careful the rest of my time in the service not to willingly volunteer for anything again.
I've never been in the service, nor was I even close to being alive in '64, but if there's one thing I've discovered in my study of the military: The first rule of the armed forces is never volunteer yourself.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 06:56 PM   #15
Captain_Jack
Gunner

Quote:
Good post, anyone in the Houston-Galveston area, come on down to Seawolf Park. The date is Feb 24 (Sat). How many of you can say you loaded a Mark 14 torpedo onboard a WWII submarine? Now is your chance to do it!

Neal

Seawolf Park directions and map

USS CAVALLA Website: www.cavalla.org
Sounds like an Awesome Opportunity! I'll be there!
Captain_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote