SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-07, 10:00 PM   #1
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Update to JSGME coming soon...seeking suggestions

Over the last two years quite a few people have approached me seeking various language translations of JSGME.

I've never had the time to look into it...until now.

I am currently updating JSGME to support different languages (yes danlisa, even Cornish ). By default JSGME will still be in English, but players will be able to d/l very small language packs to turn JSGME into any language they want, or they can create their own language pack (I'll host any sent to me). I prefer this to the "d/l one and you get them all" approach, because frankly, I only want to use English, not 270 other languages, so why be forced to d/l them all?

Anyway, as it's been a while since the last JSGME update, I thought I'd also seek other feedback and suggestions.

So, if you have any comments, feedback, suggestions etc relating to JSGME, pls post them here.

**Feel free to post this on any other game forums that support JSGME - I know there's a few as I keep getting email relating to games that I have never even heard of, let alone those that I have!
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 11:23 PM   #2
Corrupt_File
Sparky

Downloads: 17

So, uh, will these mods be able to be installed via JSGME?
Corrupt_File is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 11:34 PM   #3
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt_File
So, uh, will these mods be able to be installed via JSGME?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Old 01-25-07, 12:02 AM   #4
matttm
Seaman

Downloads: 0

A possible extension:

Problem:

After installing NYGM Tonnage War V2.2 on my system, I needed to manually delete the files:

../data/Movies/Intro/Intro.wmv
../data/Movies/Intro/Logo.wmv

as zero length files would cause the game to not load.

Solution:

So, how about a file JSGME_Postscript that could contain basic commands such as:

RM data/Movies/Intro/Intro.wmv
RM data/Movies/Intro/Logo.wmv

to be run after the main copy of files, which in this case would delete the said files.

And a folder under the package folder called JSGME_Control that contains file(s) / folder(s) not to be copied with the package, such as the package ReadMe file(s) or package extras etc.

Basically, anything in this folder, you do not process.

Matt
matttm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 12:41 AM   #5
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 170

I sometimes enable little mods that are totally different, but may have similar named files, and I get "T"Thumbs.db" has already been altered by the "IXB Dark Rust" mod.

What is Thumbs.db, some mods are not even closely related to each other, but both share a Thumbs.db file. Can this be changed somehow ? I always remove Read Me files, and Jpg's before enabling mods, because I know those cause a similar Overwrite situation, but this Thumbs.db this throws me for a loop.
Tuddley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 01:25 AM   #6
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddley3
I sometimes enable little mods that are totally different, but may have similar named files, and I get "T"Thumbs.db" has already been altered by the "IXB Dark Rust" mod.

What is Thumbs.db, some mods are not even closely related to each other, but both share a Thumbs.db file. Can this be changed somehow ? I always remove Read Me files, and Jpg's before enabling mods, because I know those cause a similar Overwrite situation, but this Thumbs.db this throws me for a loop.
Thumbs.db is a windows generated file for folders with images within to show them in a window as thumbnails. Normally this file is "hidden", but if you choose to view hidden files you'll see them inside mod folders too sometimes. Actually, before enabling any of the mods just look around and if you find any thumbs.db in any mod, you can safely delete them as they are not related to any mod...

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 01:57 AM   #7
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

The only addition which might help is to have a direct link to open the mods folder from within JSGME's main window. You know - Goto MODS folder or open MODS folder.

That way I don't have to navigate through to the correct installation all the time to add a new mod.

I'm lazy.
Old 01-25-07, 02:35 AM   #8
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttm
A possible extension:

Problem:

After installing NYGM Tonnage War V2.2 on my system, I needed to manually delete the files:

../data/Movies/Intro/Intro.wmv
../data/Movies/Intro/Logo.wmv

as zero length files would cause the game to not load.

Solution:

So, how about a file JSGME_Postscript that could contain basic commands such as:

RM data/Movies/Intro/Intro.wmv
RM data/Movies/Intro/Logo.wmv

to be run after the main copy of files, which in this case would delete the said files.
Sorry, I have no intention of opening a new can of worms by allowing JSGME to delete or remove files from the game. Why don't you just remove the files from the mod before enabling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttm
And a folder under the package folder called JSGME_Control that contains file(s) / folder(s) not to be copied with the package, such as the package ReadMe file(s) or package extras etc.

Basically, anything in this folder, you do not process.
This feature has existed since v1.2.0 (check the change log in JoneSoft.txt) - any files in a folder called "documentation" (ie MODS\<Mod Name>\documentation\) will not be copied into the game.

Further, any files in said folder can be viewed directly from within JSGME by simply right-clicking the mod name.
Old 01-25-07, 02:48 AM   #9
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddley3

Yes, just delete them as Carotio said. Although it would be better for the mod creator to have done it *before* release.

Indeed, you can turn the feature off (although this won't stop you getting them from other sources, like mods). To turn off the creation of Thumbs.db:

1. Click the Start button
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select Folder Options
4. Click the View tab
5. Check "Do not cache thumbnails"
6. Click the OK button

I think they're the most annoying files ever - especially as their presence also overrides any folder-specific view settings for the folder that they reside in. And collectively they can get quite big.
Old 01-25-07, 02:50 AM   #10
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
The only addition which might help is to have a direct link to open the mods folder from within JSGME's main window. You know - Goto MODS folder or open MODS folder.

That way I don't have to navigate through to the correct installation all the time to add a new mod.
Like "Open installation" which if clicked would take you straight to c:\<game>\MODS\ in Windows Explorer?

What would you do then?
Old 01-25-07, 03:04 AM   #11
danlisa
Navy Seal

It's just a shortcut through to the MODS folder.

I NEVER extract any mods that I have d/l'd straight into the MODS folder. I always copy+paste after I have checked the file structure & readme.

As I say, I might be a little lazy.:p

EDIT - I don't know if I'm in the realms of possibility here, however, is there anyway to 'refresh' JSGME's mods list. I have noticed that any additions/deletions within the MODS folder while JSGME is open will not be updated until a restart of JSGME. Just throwing that one 'out there'.
Old 01-25-07, 03:37 AM   #12
Phoenix3000
Weps

Downloads: 49

Hi, JSGME is great, but here's a small suggestion.

Can the date the mod was added appear too?

For example, some mods have to be installed in a particular order to ensure they don't conflict. Knowing when the previous ones were added would be of huge help. I find myself searching through Windows Explorer trying to find the modified date of the files I have downloaded.

Anyway, just my input. It's certainly a great tool though!

Cheers!

Px3000
Phoenix3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 04:55 AM   #13
danlisa
Navy Seal

Can someone remind me, does the 'Export Mod List' option only give you a list of enabled MODS?

If so, would it be possible to generate a list to actually tell you what file changes have been made?

Example - If you have a mod which already changes the menu.ini you could check to see if you'll have any conflicts before d/l another mods which also changes the menu.ini.

Please disregard if dumb. I'm finding it hard to suggest any changes to an already excellent program.
Old 01-25-07, 05:07 AM   #14
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4
Default Just an observation

Aside from the need for translations to other languages, it works great as is
and thanks JScones for saving us all a lot of manual modding.
MM

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 05:18 AM   #15
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

For me it's THE TOOL!
I don't see what's to improve besides the other language thing-y!
Maybe some flashy new buttons!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote