SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-17, 10:09 AM   #3616
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
When is the next public release?
Well, I hope no time real soon. I'm still finishing my work on the CrewManagement/Equipment Upgrade part of things. The fact I've got one sub working well, doesn't make it just a quick Win-Merg transition into the others...each have their own quirks. I've just completed the Tench........ half a dozen others to follow.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 12:32 PM   #3617
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
CapnScurvy, how much of your work from Day of Infamy is going into FOTRS?

I imagine after all the work for FOTRS, you might want to take a break from modding and put Day of Infamy to the back burner for a while and just enjoy playing the game!
A good bit of things I planned for Day of Infamy have gone into FOTRS Ultimate. The additions of the FOTRS warships (like the carriers Akiga, Kaga) won me over. Their plane inventory was substantal too.......so adding the extra planes I asked permission to use (for Day of Infamy, coming from the GWX SHIII modders) like the British Wellington, Whitley, Beaufort, Spitfire, Hudson, or my own creations, like the Kamikaze Zero, or the Betty Bomber carring the Baka Kamikaze plane after Janurary 1945, all made sense to add.

Additions like the working Radar Screens, and interiors that were both a part of Optical Targeting Correction went into Ultimate too. So, its been a place where I can bring content over to a mod that seems to have "legs" we all can like. There's still plenty of content to add or correct as we go which should make FOTRS Ulimate a "Go to" modification (A "heads up".....I'm finishing a working AnitiAircraft Burst Ammunition for the AA guns that will give you a sense of actual flak operations). Bottom line, I see this as a singular modification for the good of us all.....I'm not that interested to promote something just to call it "My Creation"......... it's all of our creations. Many folks have helped me in learning, doing, inspiring my thoughts, I hope to give them credit before we're done, making this mod as close to a "community effort" as can be.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 04:23 PM   #3618
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Is DepthCharges.zon the only file that controls the radius and power of depth charges?

After a few savage encounters with a tough DD, i figured it was worth looking into what the mod changed about the depth charges. Figured maybe the explosion radius's were cranked up. But the mod doesn't touch that file.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 04:34 PM   #3619
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Is DepthCharges.zon the only file that controls the radius and power of depth charges?

After a few savage encounters with a tough DD, i figured it was worth looking into what the mod changed about the depth charges. Figured maybe the explosion radius's were cranked up. But the mod doesn't touch that file.
If you'd like too, send me a PM and I will give you a link to the reworked Task mis files. The DDs are'nt so superhuman any more. or you can wait till the next beta release, they will be included in that.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 04:35 PM   #3620
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
radar

While your making improvements can you add armor or strengthen up the engine compartments for all the subs so we can at least have a chance to escape with an engine I know its hard to fix the engine issue or bug but maybe we can add armor to that area just an idea not a complaint the mod is awesome no complaints outstanding work.
Old 01-26-17, 04:50 PM   #3621
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I was just going to reply back to gutted about that very thing, Lt commander lare...

Quote:
OMG, i got rocked so hard by a DD after attacking a convoy he almost sunk me.
With some tricky use of the blow ballasts and then leveling off before i get to the surface (then sink back down), i was able to keep from sinking long enough for my crew to repair the bulkheads and pump out the water just as i was about to run out of compressed air.

But..

Both prop shafts were damaged, 2 diesel engines destroyed, and 2 electric engines destroyed.

I was able to surface once the DD's went away and spent the next few days on the surface waiting for the crew to repair the shafts. Finally they fixed them, but im still dead in the water. Why, if i still have 2 diesels and 2 electrics functional can i not move?

http://i.imgur.com/z1HqWlg.png
I found in the Travellers Mod ReadMe, where he talked of making it to where one of the engine and motor combos is indestructible, though it will be close to being destroyed, but it's set to where you can at least limp back home, if you have the patience. He also had an option for phoning home, and asking for rescue, at a -400 renown penalty, which is rather cheap, really. I'm looking into those two as a possible later mod, along with trying to figure out if there is anyway at all, that a person can have a slight semblance of normalcy in crew attire when in the Alaskan Campaign. It's more than a little weird when it's February 1942, and your watch crew is out in their short-sleeved shirts, and I'm here shivering in the captain's chair...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 04:57 PM   #3622
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
If you'd like too, send me a PM and I will give you a link to the reworked Task mis files. The DDs are'nt so superhuman any more. or you can wait till the next beta release, they will be included in that.
Sure, i'll give it a try.

Old 01-26-17, 05:47 PM   #3623
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Default Test Missions

I am caught up to the post where Max-Peck fixed a Test Mission for XTBilly in Post #577 and I have a question.

I am definitely behind where your current progress is but I am trying to take in everything and read every single post in this thread.

I ask the following question because in the past while play FoTRSv1.3, I have encountered scenarios where I had a IJN Cargo approx 4K away and a two(2) ship destroyer task force approx 35k away and when I surfaced to take out the IJN Cargo with deck gun, the IJN Destroyer Task force didn't even blink and continued on their merry way.

Is there a test mission to verify Patrolling Ships and Aircraft respond to Contact Radio Reports that are nearby for both IJN and US?

Regards!
TheBeast

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 06:32 PM   #3624
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Playing with contact decay rates in ~\SHIV_Root\Cfg\Contacts.cfg a bit can help when leaving port or any where for that matter.

Although the actual contact on a real screen may decay quickly, the operators mind remembers that contact and in real life does not report a contact every time it appears because the operator knows it is the same contact from 30-60 seconds ago.
By decreasing the decay rate (increase how long the contact display on screen) you can better emulate a real life scenario.

The big benefit of doing this is that you are not dropped to TC1 every 30-60 seconds for Radar and or Sonar Contacts and will greatly improve the user experience when starting from in Port or at any time while on Patrol.

When the contact is first detected you are dropped to TC1. The Radar/Sonar operator has done their job, You now know there is a contact within range. If at this point you again jump to a high TC and run into the ship or task force, that is on you.

Regards!
TheBeast

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 07:14 PM   #3625
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
I am caught up to the post where Max-Peck fixed a Test Mission for XTBilly in Post #577 and I have a question.

I am definitely behind where your current progress is but I am trying to take in everything and read every single post in this thread.

I ask the following question because in the past while play FoTRSv1.3, I have encountered scenarios where I had a IJN Cargo approx 4K away and a two(2) ship destroyer task force approx 35k away and when I surfaced to take out the IJN Cargo with deck gun, the IJN Destroyer Task force didn't even blink and continued on their merry way.

Is there a test mission to verify Patrolling Ships and Aircraft respond to Contact Radio Reports that are nearby for both IJN and US?

Regards!
TheBeast
We haven't done any "in depth" testing on that lately. CapnScurvy adjusted a few things a while back, because he surfaced one time in the middle of some Japanese DD (I cannot remember his test...) anyway, about 1 click away, and they didn't see him while he was standing still. As soon as he moved, they'd see him. My poor brain though, for the life of me, can't remember much else... He'll be around probably early tomorrow, 12 hours from now or so...

Old 01-26-17, 07:49 PM   #3626
gutted
The Old Man

Figured since i like this mod so much and im sticking around i'd share my tweaks.

Easier to read Position Keeper:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5133

More responsive cameras:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5134

My Hotkeys:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5135

As for the position keeper, one of these days im going to snap and just mod the dang thing to make it bigger across the board. At 1920x1080 it makes these 40 year old eyes squint too much while trying to read the dials.

Old 01-26-17, 07:59 PM   #3627
gutted
The Old Man

Interesting tidbit.

While modding the PK needles. I noticed that the imperial PK uses the needles from the metric texture. And the metric PK uses the needles from the imperial texture. Not that it matters, the needles are the same in both textures, but it was throwing me for a loop at first.

Probably just a mixup in the menu_1024_768.ini file

Last edited by gutted; 01-26-17 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 08:26 PM   #3628
propbeanie

Quote:
... it makes these 40 year old eyes squint too much while trying to read the dials.
You mean there's dials up there, with markings??...

Quote:
Interesting tidbit.

While modding the PK needles. I noticed that the imperial PK uses the needles from the metric texture. And the metric PK uses the needes from the imperial texture...
You found another February 29th and June 31st issue in the game!... - something else we were doing the other day is like that... this stuff reminds of my old coding days, were you used to have to use a double negative test in order to get a "positive" or "affirmative" answer... sort of like "Don't you know what I mean, no?"

Old 01-26-17, 08:45 PM   #3629
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You mean there's dials up there, with markings??...
Yeah. and if you know how to read them you can thow away your crayons.

Old 01-26-17, 09:47 PM   #3630
propbeanie

still got my crayons and my colours, and my pencils... 'course, I'm not allowed to sharpen any of 'em...