SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-08, 03:26 PM   #1
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1
seperate sticky for Uboat-mods?

I know this forum-section is for general SH4Uboat-addon stuff.
But having mods listed in the "stock" SH4 section - a different forum-section - is a bit awkward, isn't it?

Can we have a sticky here, which lists all the addon-compatible mods (released mods, and WIP ones)?
The relevant mods may still be elsewhere on these boards, but at least the addon-info is all gathered here, and linked to.

Last edited by Paajtor; 03-06-08 at 07:32 PM.
Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 03:51 PM   #2
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Hmmmm now theres the thing
Addon compatable mods for US play
Or Ge play ???

Perhaps tis better to leave 1.5 compatable mods in the SH4 mods workshop and add addon ( uboat ) mods in here

Or

Now tis confusing

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 03:55 PM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

We had a brief discussion of this a few days ago. As you know, our great modders are very vigilant in advising what their mods are compatible with and what will not work. The decision was to keep all the modding work in the SH4 modding section. We only ask that the user read the thread and find out what the mod is compatible with. The feeling here eventually is all the mods will be compatible with the addon.
Old 03-06-08, 04:00 PM   #4
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

To a certain extent yes
If someone starts adding mods just for the uboat they may not be compatable with the US career
Not delved into the game too much but as adding Ge voices means no US ones until Ge ones removed am guessing the addon shares a lot of files

What I am unelegantly trying to say
lol
Is mods that are added just for the uboat side - even though will work with 1.5 which the addon is - may not run ok for a US career

Does that make sense
lol
Does in my head

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 04:10 PM   #5
MONOLITH
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
To a certain extent yes
If someone starts adding mods just for the uboat they may not be compatable with the US career
Not delved into the game too much but as adding Ge voices means no US ones until Ge ones removed am guessing the addon shares a lot of files
I agree with him.

You can keep the SH4 mods forum as is, just create a UBOAT specific mods subforum; just like you have an add-on subforum right now under SH4.

The German voices is a perfect example.

But other things will come, like interfaces specifically for the uboats that will have nothing to do with the US side of things.

There are so many mods right now, it's already a bit daunting. I think somehow organizing "UBOAT specific" mods into a seperate category is a good idea.

Logistically, SH4 really is two games in one now. Two seperate mod sections would be appropriate, and less confusing.
Old 03-06-08, 04:17 PM   #6
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Yes, it makes sense BBW but, thread titles should be specific to what it is. For example: New Orders Bar/German Uboats or Campaign Layers SH4UBM. Besides, just how many forums do you guys need me to moderate What we might be able to do is sticky in the SH4 mod forums much like Neal did. One sticky, within that post contains all the links to the mods for uboat only. How is that idea?
Old 03-06-08, 04:26 PM   #7
SuperCavitation
Loader

Something like:

Title: [REL][1.5 UBoat] Name of the mod
Title: [REL][1.5 US] Name of the mod
Title: [REL][1.5 US/Uboat] Name of the mod

...would be easy on noobs like me...

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 04:32 PM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Now that looks darn simple.
Old 03-06-08, 05:29 PM   #9
howler93
Medic

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Something like:

Brilliant! I, too, would love to see something like this. Anything that would simplify things would go a long way...

Howler
howler93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 06:46 PM   #10
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21

Please, no seperate threads and forums for mods for 1.5

One thread for mods will let you scroll through, you find a mod you like, it takes you to the topic page the author made, and wallah. you can see if it is compatable.

Reason: MOD's that are compatable with both campaign's will now need to be seperated over two threads, if two seperate area's are made.

Having two seperate threads is also like preparing for a situation where modders never look at one side of the campaign. And to be honest, the reality is current modders, including super-mods will be champing at the bit to start making their mods work in both campaigns. No one is going to just spend all that time making a massive MOD but leave one area out. It isn't really that difficult to make mods work for both theatres. All you will be doing is making extra work for the moderators, and by proxy having double links. One in one thread and one in another.

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 06:50 PM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

My thought also Akbargulag. If the modder posts the title correctly there should be no confusion.
Old 03-06-08, 07:38 PM   #12
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCavitation
I like this!

Maybe it should be posted here, and/or here.

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 07:51 PM   #13
SuperCavitation
Loader

@Akbar: I like that, too. If it is all contained in one thread, in one forum, the titles should still adhere to some degree of continuity to separate the 1.4 bizwax from the 1.5.

It would be unwise, at this point, to assume that everyone who plays 1.4 will gain the addon within the course of the next two months. There are issues with the UK, issues with dialup speeds, issues with a lack of medium for the addon, and so on. And I'm willing to bet there will be mods for 1.5 within said "two months" -- if not sooner. A categorization is necessary, I'm just throwing an idea out there.

This issue bears a strong resemblance to when the 2nd expansion to Rainbow 6 III came out (after Athena Sword); it was also by download only. The name escapes me but I haven't forgotten the nightmare it spawned. Don't know if anyone here was a part of that world as well but I'm sure they can vouch.

Of course there is always the possiblilty that something created for the US end of 1.5 won't breaek someone running 1.4, but I'm not holding my breath.

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 08:12 PM   #14
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCavitation
Something like:

...would be easy on noobs like me...
Ok, I see the logic in this. But beyond saying [REL] the author has got all the leeway he needs to define it with the name he gives it.

For example.

[REL]IXD Prop Fix.

Well, that clearly has to be 1.5 u-boat add-on.

As opposed to.

[REL]Sargo Prop Fix.

Sure, not as clear. But it certainly is not for the U-boat. Although MAY be for 1.5.

The only way to clear that up is to go to the authors page. My bet is, if you are looking for a Sargo Prop fix, you will click on that link even if it is not for 1.5.

I can still see positive repercussions of that initiatve SuperCavitation. After all, these are primarily search parameters. Not advertising headers. But keep debating it... be interesting to see other peoples logic on this.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober
I think some people want a mod section for 1.4 mods and a different section for 1.5 .This is because they dont want to buy the addon for whatever reason
This should not be indulged, nor should it be encouraged. Buying the add-on supports all theatres of SH4 regardless of affiliation. Well said Sober (The anti-handle ^^)

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 08:13 PM   #15
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I think some people want a mod section for 1.4 mods and a different section for 1.5 . This is because they dont want to buy the addon for whatever reason . I dont think it would be fair to ubisoft , and the devs and the future of silent hunter to support both 1.4 and 1.5 patches at the same time just because some people dont want to buy the addon for whatever reason . cheers sober out .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote