SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-08, 12:06 PM   #16
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0

I make a point to thank the people who made the mods I use, and I readily recommend them to others. However, no-one can be forced to show gratitude and manners, so for the time being, you'll just have to put up with us regular member joes fawning over more things that go bleep and boom
Old 04-14-08, 02:11 PM   #17
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Well as a modder who was involved in SCX and before that early modding of EECH this has never occured to me and I don't agree with it.

If it si P2P like jimbuna then yea they should upload but it if it is a website like subsim then I don't think there is anything you can do about it. Neal will call the shots on that one.

In fact when the fixes and stuff for SHII were done it was a purchase only due to Neal having hired a programmer to fix various things.

I donwload skins from M4T for IL-2 and don't have an account there, I don't consider that leeching it is par for the course. People who are interested in SHIII and SHIV wil join here first as this is the only subsim dedicated web site and forum and so will post here before they download. For something that is free you can't force people to register, or they will register and take anyway.
Old 04-14-08, 09:19 PM   #18
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Maybe i missed the obvious portion of this, but how does forcing someone to login so their not a "stowaway" in order to D/L change anything? The action of clicking a filefront link or other similar host is the same regardless if your logged in or not. Aside from that, links and info get spread all over the internet. Doing a little googling on my own work was surpising to me to say the least. I didn't think anything i did ever left subsim, that simply isn't true. And i'll wager its the same for every other mod as well.

Aside from that, people are only going to post if they feel like it - You can't make them. I'll wager theres plenty of (logged in) lurkers that d/l tell their hard drive is full of mods, and have not said a single word to anybody.

So if theres a point here, its flown over my head at 60,000 feet at mach 3.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 03:28 AM   #19
kurtz
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 39

I think I may have been missing out on a common courtesy on these boards,as I don't think I've posted a thank you. The reason I don't is because the thread then becomes full of thank you notes and it's rather hard to find genuine comments and fixes.
Perhaps all modders could put a poll at the head of each thread with the choices of ,Awesome, great, Thanks for the effort and okay.

For all those modders, "I love you guys!". Sorry I forgot to say it a dozen times earlier.

http://www.myvintagelife.co.uk/
kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 05:05 AM   #20
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

It's not just about saying thank you, the word leech is widely used on torrent sites for people who just take and not talk, so this is nothing new.

Like I said before, its not about putting modders in a glory spotlight, but about being part of a community.
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 07:21 AM   #21
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

torrent is a different case altogether than mods hosted on a single server with a single download link.
Old 04-15-08, 08:43 PM   #22
Venatore
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
torrent is a different case altogether than mods hosted on a single server with a single download link.
If your happy with 895 Stowaways, than I can't argue with that.

Last edited by Venatore; 04-15-08 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 01:42 AM   #23
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

I'm not bothered I don't own the server Neal does and until he is unhappy with it it wil remain.

There is no obligation to give something back vs torrent.

I do think this is more about getting an ego boost thatn worrying about Neal's bandwidth.
Old 04-16-08, 02:10 AM   #24
Venatore
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
I do think this is more about getting an ego boost
Now I'm confused ? are you saying that in relation to me ? if you are that is not my inent and I'm wondering why you would relate that comment to me.

Can you please explain what you mean with regards to the above quote :hmm:
Old 04-16-08, 09:49 AM   #25
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

As a relatively new but very active member of the community and longtime resident of the internet (anyone remember using Kermit?) I'm very puzzled over your position on this matter, Ven.

Here's where I see the disconnect in your reasoning...

You create mods with no regard for profit, purely for the love of the game and the pride in a job well done. Isn't it better for millions to actually see and use your creations than to restrict access to "members only"?

I'd say the fact that anyone bothers to use their time, bandwidth, and storage space is already an admission that your mod is obviously good enough to catch attention.

I truly do wish everyone who downloads anything offered up by the community would take the time to express their appreciation as a matter course because that's just good manners.

But locking the doors just to force such appreciation from people would make "thank-you" a meaningless platitude from "leechers" doing what they must to get the file ( and then they'd upload it elsewhere so others can download it without any restrictions or your knowledge ).

At one time, software was entirely free and freely shared, one person's source code being refined and improved by many. Then some young upstart got mad that his work wasn't being properly appreciated and began charging money for his programs. He publicly berated fellow computer enthusiasts for sharing things that took him so much effort to create.

Next thing you know, everyone was charging money for their software and almost none were sharing. Those who did continue to share became labeled as "pirates" and law-breakers.

That young man who started this trend was named Bill Gates.

If your own ego insists on requiring acknowledgement for your work, then keep your mods at BtS, where you must register to access downloads, or password protect your mods so people have to register and PM you for the password to unlock the ZIP file.

Just be prepared to see attention to your mods drop off when you do that.

I've lost count of the number of times I would pass on a mod, no matter how great it was, because the mod's site made you jump through hoops to get to the download.

I wish I had even a tenth of your modding skills, Venatore. I'd look upon every download of my mod as a source of pride because people thought it was too good to pass up!

Ubisoft has freely given you their goodwill by allowing you to create mods for their copyrighted work when they could just as easily sue you into oblivion for infringement.

Other modders have freely given you their knowledge and help, which they gained from long experience, so your own work could grow and improve.

This community has freely welcomed you with open arms and much appreciation for your mods and given you an outlet for your work to be noticed by millions of people.

Neal has freely given all of us a place to gather and share our thoughts, talents, feelings, and lives as a rowdy, goofy, and unique community.

As it has been said, "Freely you have been given, freely you must give."

You're a greatly talented modder, Venatore. I've said it before but I can still say it again with all sincerity...

Thank you for sharing your mods and the hard work you put into these fantastic creations!