SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-17, 05:28 PM   #1
the one below
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Looking to come back

Hey everyone. I am looking to come back to the silent hunter game series or sub simulation in anyway. about 5-7 years ago I met some guys playing fsx back then and they introduced me to SH4. I didn't think much of it at the time, sense I was only about 18 and wasn't really interested in sub sims. But then recently I was watching Hoosiers, being from Indiana, I decided what other movies Gene Hackman play in. I saw Crimson Tide and read it's description and thought oh what the hell, sure lets watch it. WOW! I was amazed. Then I watched other submarine movies and documentaries and thought this is what I was missing?! So here I am again. Now down to business. I am thinking of buying either SH4 (the one I played) which from what I have seen and heard is the most popular of the series OR SH5 which is the most recent one. I know you can use mods on SH4. BUT, is there still multiplayer available, or no? Are there alternatives? Now SH5 being the most recent, I saw that there multiplayer went down on November 1st 2016. Is there still and alternative or no? Do mods work with SH5? I am thinking of buying it being the most recent Silent Hunter game, and kinda only being 7 years old.

Well there all that is. Thanks guys.
Old 01-26-17, 05:57 PM   #2
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

I'd steer clear of SH5. It was an unfinished game that killed the silent hunter series. It requires heavy modding to make enjoyable. The current super mod for it is a bloated mess if you want my honest opinion.

SH4 is nice & stable, and if you get the current early beta of "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" mod, you don't need to do anything else to really enjoy it.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids

Last edited by gutted; 01-26-17 at 06:09 PM.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 06:19 PM   #3
the one below
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

awesome. Thanks for your input. What is the "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" mod?
Old 01-26-17, 06:21 PM   #4
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270

It's an early beta, but very playable. Much better than the stock game. And doesn't require alot of head scratching other than just enabling it through the JSGME mod installer. If you need help on what JSGME is etc. just ask in that thread.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 06:28 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

the one below!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 06:37 PM   #6
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Welcome back, the one below. Happy to have you aboard.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 07:23 PM   #7
the one below
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

thank you gentleman
Old 01-26-17, 08:20 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Just because the Ubi servers were taken down, doesn't mean you can't have your own Silent Hunter net party... You can also do a LAN game (which is easier to do) with some of the multiplayer missions, that come with the game. Each player does need their own copy of the game, and they must all be playing the same version and the same scenario. Not that much different from the shooters on the xBox - ~BUT~ you can make your own missions in Silent Hunter!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 08:32 PM   #9
the one below
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sounds good! looks like lll be getting SH4. Now I just need to found out where mods are and how to install them! I love playing with nuclear subs with sounds seekers lol. Im sure it take some time to learn up and all the other tweaks to.

Last edited by the one below; 01-26-17 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 11:10 PM   #10
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Welcome aboard the one below!

You started off right by asking before crash diving in. I haven't tried SH5 because of the bad reviews about it. I have SH4 and think it's great, even before mods. My suggestion is go to Amazon.com (there is a link to it from this site) and buy SH4 Gold. You will get the latest version. Most of the mods are written for this version.

Since you're still run aground, go clean my office.
Old 01-27-17, 09:40 AM   #11
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
I haven't tried SH5 because of the bad reviews about it.
Yeah, I still wouldn't recommend it, a lot of bad choices were made for SH5 to the point where I'd start loathing it after the first minute of playing. I absolutely dislike the UI (especially after playing a lot of SH3&4), they took away the training mode and squashed that into singleplayer and expect you learn off that. And for singleplayer, I don't think you can pick a point of time to start your career. I'd say they took away to much of the freedom that we had in SH3 and SH4.

the one below, I'm glad you asked first. SH4 is great, you should also check out SH3. Either of those two of are much better than SH5.
Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 12:49 PM   #12
the one below
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Alrighty I will buy sh4 today and get the ubout missions for the 1.5 versons for mods. Thank you. I will also join the teamspeak too talk to a few people too get me going!
Old 01-27-17, 03:27 PM   #13
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one below View Post
Alrighty I will buy sh4 today and get the ubout missions for the 1.5 versons for mods. Thank you. I will also join the teamspeak too talk to a few people too get me going!
Welcome aboard mate

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 06:47 PM   #14
the one below
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Now gents. Should I buy the steam versions or the amazon gold one? Would any type of multiplayer left be effected? Where do I go to get mods for the game? I am mainly looking for just subs. But others on here, from what I have read, also have graphic mods, and seem to have modded the script for some tweaks and things. What are some must haves for SH4 now? And are there any multiplayer groups out there now? Please add your thoughts.

Last edited by the one below; 01-27-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-27-17, 08:50 PM   #15
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116

Get it from anywhere but Steam, with Steam you have go through extra steps to get mods working.
I don't hugely know anything about multiplayer but I'm sure some people on here can provide a better explaination about multiplayer. As far as I know, MP is down but still can be played with Himachi or Tunngle.

For mods, there is a download button up above next to User CP, then click on Silent Hunter 4. If you're not really sure where to start, I recommend taking a look at this post, he's also got an Advanced mod list if you'd want a bigger challege once after becoming accustom to SH4, which what I did.
Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote