SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-17, 08:57 PM   #1
overandout
A-ganger

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Icon8 RSRD Patch won't download

I installed the RSRD v1.5 and the compatible TMO files in the proper order, but for some strange reason, the RSRD patch won't download. The game runs fine w/o the patch, but I get error messages that the patch file can't input different date files. Here is the link where I get the patch: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1459

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
overandout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-17, 03:45 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

are you using 7zip to unzip it?

using winzip or WinRAR to unzip mod files can sometimes cause them to lose data and be corrupted
Old 02-21-17, 08:32 PM   #3
overandout
A-ganger

Downloads: 30
Icon8 RSRD patch

I'm using 7-zip
overandout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-17, 10:51 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

You can't download the file, or is it the file you download doesn't seem to be a good file, since it seems to not install? If you open the "RSRDC_v5xx_Patch1" folder, there should be a Data and a Support folder right below the Patch Folder. The Support folder has a RSRDC_ReadMes folder with documentation in it. The Data folder, should have a Campaigns (with an "S") and in that a Campaign folder (no "S"). Below the Campaign folder should be 24 files, which are 23 of the "basic" MIS files for traffic, mostly 4 of each for each time frame, and a Campaign.cfg file. Using JSGME to activate the mod from the MODS folder should be straight forward, and no issue... ?? What "throws" or gives you the error message? 7zip, windows, jsgme, the game?? As you're probably aware, all the patch does is spread the traffic out a bit between time frames. As an example, the 41a files run from December of 1941 through February of 1942, with the 42a files taking over March 1, 1942. Some of the groups quit spawning in the 41a files before the replacements for them start spawning in the 42a file, so you might have a time frame with negligible traffic found... kind of like what happened in real life to submarines... It's a big ocean. So you're not really missing much, other than a few more targets. lurker_hlb3 did use some "unconventional" date periods in there, and changed some of the file names. You could open the Campaign.cfg file in a text editor, and compare the files it loads, with the contents of your Data / Campaigns / Campaign folder, ignoring the DynamicMiss and PatrolObjectives folders. You might actually be missing files somehow...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 10:30 AM   #5
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

I wouldn't bother with RSRD files anyway, if you're wanting to run TMO. RSRD changes so much of the TMO mod's behavior that it isn't TMO anymore. FYI, RSRD alters a heck of a lot more than just historical placement of shipping.

Really, there ought to be a qualified disclaimer with the RSRD mod that warns the new users that RSRD alters more than historical placement of shipping.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 04:19 PM   #6
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

That's not quite true.
With my combination of many modes for TMO_RSRDC_OTC (including Toccos Revange) the hardness of the opponent is again set to the level of TMO, without the annoying radar error with the Japanese and the excessively many aviators.

RSRDC is a wonderful campaign, if you stick to its commands, there are also no problems.

Whoever says something else, talks only crap and has no idea.

Gruß Ralle

Last edited by Bleiente; 02-22-17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 11:27 PM   #7
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
That's not quite true.
With my combination of many modes for TMO_RSRDC_OTC (including Toccos Revange) the hardness of the opponent is again set to the level of TMO, without the annoying radar error with the Japanese and the excessively many aviators.

RSRDC is a wonderful campaign, if you stick to its commands, there are also no problems.

Whoever says something else, talks only crap and has no idea.

Gruß Ralle
Try checking the TMO files against the RSRDC combo files BEFORE you start being so crass as to talk so cheap. One of the reasons I don't frequent the site as much as I used to is because there are too many others like you, who open up their mouth before checking into the facts first.

I played the combo myself and there were many behaviors that TMO had introduced that were overwritten by the RSRDC mod simply because the RSRDC author didn't like those particular mods. He didn't JUST stick to making his historical shipping mod compatible with TMO. He deliberately changed things in TMO that he didn't like, to suit his own way of playing. One example in particular was deadly aircraft able to spot you in CALM water if you weren't submerged deep enough (below periscope depth)... (a totally realistic behavior by the way, that the RSRDC author didn't like so he changed it!). I went back to playing the TMO mod by itself and it's a much more enjoyable experience.

For your information, Rockin' Robbins pointed these facts out to me, so I suppose you're implying he talks only crap and has no idea also?

Do an advanced search for threads by User Name: ETAIPOS Keywords: TMO Campain - How Historic (Yes he misspelled campaign). Read thru it, especially the second page where I actually take the same stance as you until Rockin Robbins points out what Lurker (RSRDC author) deliberately did to Ducimus' (TMO author's work).

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 02-23-17 at 12:04 AM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 01:38 AM   #8
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
I wouldn't bother with RSRD files anyway, if you're wanting to run TMO. RSRD changes so much of the TMO mod's behavior that it isn't TMO anymore. FYI, RSRD alters a heck of a lot more than just historical placement of shipping.

Really, there ought to be a qualified disclaimer with the RSRD mod that warns the new users that RSRD alters more than historical placement of shipping.
that kinda goes to the mindset of a modders intentions when doing the mod, some respect others work and some just assume what they think the mod should be like, is better, so it often gets into the realm of personality conflicts over presumptions and perceived transgressions at times.

in the end its always going to be up to the members to decide what they prefer and use the mods they like and don't use those they don't like and go from there.

I always found it pretty presumptuous to alter someone elses mod to the point it changes difficulty and strategy, but then someone else might think they are improving it rather then changing it from the reason people wanted to use that mod in the first place. im sure no one ever tries to alter someone elses mod for no reason at all, im sure they always think they are making improovements.

its one of those things where egos can get in the way and many disputs arose over the years because of things like that.

much depends on the modders point of view on what they are doing to someone elses work, im sure lurker thought he was making TMO better, but its ultimately up to the individual using the mods to decide that for themselves. I think there are just as many who don't like RSRDC for the very reasons mentioned above but then some really do like it and think its great. I never personally liked it for all the same reasons brought up already but that's just me.

Last edited by Webster; 02-23-17 at 03:24 PM. Reason: aded a few needed commas lol
Old 02-23-17, 06:30 AM   #9
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
Try checking the TMO files against the RSRDC combo files BEFORE you start being so crass as to talk so cheap. One of the reasons I don't frequent the site as much as I used to is because there are too many others like you, who open up their mouth before checking into the facts first.

I played the combo myself and there were many behaviors that TMO had introduced that were overwritten by the RSRDC mod simply because the RSRDC author didn't like those particular mods. He didn't JUST stick to making his historical shipping mod compatible with TMO. He deliberately changed things in TMO that he didn't like, to suit his own way of playing. One example in particular was deadly aircraft able to spot you in CALM water if you weren't submerged deep enough (below periscope depth)... (a totally realistic behavior by the way, that the RSRDC author didn't like so he changed it!). I went back to playing the TMO mod by itself and it's a much more enjoyable experience.

For your information, Rockin' Robbins pointed these facts out to me, so I suppose you're implying he talks only crap and has no idea also?

Do an advanced search for threads by User Name: ETAIPOS Keywords: TMO Campain - How Historic (Yes he misspelled campaign). Read thru it, especially the second page where I actually take the same stance as you until Rockin Robbins points out what Lurker (RSRDC author) deliberately did to Ducimus' (TMO author's work).
I admit, my speech was somewhat unhappy, but in no evil intent.
I have to explain, my English is very poor ... so it can easily lead to misunderstandings.

What I really wanted to say, RSRDC is and remains a great work as a campaign, you should not always demonize it.
If TMO_RSRDC is also paired with "Toccos Revange" from Capn Scurvy's great OTC, you almost get the aggressiveness of the IJN from TMO.

Hope my remarks are now better ...

Ahoy
Old 02-23-17, 08:15 AM   #10
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by overandout View Post
I installed the RSRD v1.5 and the compatible TMO files in the proper order, but for some strange reason, the RSRD patch won't download. The game runs fine w/o the patch, but I get error messages that the patch file can't input different date files. Here is the link where I get the patch: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1459

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
I have the patch for RSRDC again independently uploaded:
http://workupload.com/file/QeEfEnC

Note when unpacking that no duplicate is created ... it should look like this:
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1/Data+Support

Hope this helps.

Ahoy

Last edited by Bleiente; 02-23-17 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 10:47 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I've always really hated patches. There's just no reason for them to exist, and as happened briefly with the RSRDC patch, the patch is much more likely to be lost than the underlying mod.

So I think all patches should be VERY temporary. The responsible thing for a modder to do is to release a new version of the major mod including the patch. I've done that, releasing RFB 2.0 with patch in our downloads section.

I also think it's a disservice to players to leave TMO 2.5 plus a patch to get the updated experience. When, as a modder, you have to patch your mod that means it's time to release a new version.

As to the RSRDC thing. If you'll notice, the Aces of the Deep gang released FOTRS, not as a patch to TMO, but combined with the underlying TMO, giving conspicuous credit to Ducimus. That is the honest way to package a mod. Nobody playing FOTRS thinks they are playing TMO, and in reality they are not. TMO is the base mod, but the Aces of the Deep assumed all responsibility for the game changes.

I contend that RSRDC should have been released in the exact same way, incorporating TMO into RSRDC. Then players would say they were playing RSRDC, which is accurate, rather than claiming to be playing TMO, which is very inaccurate. As thing stand, if Ducimus and Lurker were both active now, the majority of players with RSRDC problems would be barking up Ducimus' tree. That also is undesirable.

That is why the FOTRSU team uses patches internally for testing purposes. When we have accumulated enough patches to make it worthwhile, we combine the present public beta with the patches to make a private beta (single mod!), which we test briefly before using it as the next public beta version.

I believe supermods should be a single installation onto the stock game: no double mod installs, no patches. I would recommend to Bleiente that he repackage his Mod Soup in exactly that way, and I'll bet the number of people running it would double overnight.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 11:40 AM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

RSRDC patch download is working perfectly at Subsim.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-17, 02:53 PM   #13
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I believe supermods should be a single installation onto the stock game: no double mod installs, no patches. I would recommend to Bleiente that he repackage his Mod Soup in exactly that way, and I'll bet the number of people running it would double overnight.
It has been updated.