SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-17, 04:11 PM   #1
LittleGrebe
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 with TMO not starting on Steam

Hi all,

Played Silent Hunter 2, 3 and 4 but always gave up because of the bugs.

But I love these sub games, so I bought the Steam package (SH 3-4-5) today. Made a clean install and, after reading some threads, decided to pick the mod TMO.

Unfortunately, my Steam version won't start. I followed the steps for installing the Modenabler (downloaded it from this site), did it again and again...

This is the error screen: There is a new (not implemented) page PageChooseLoadSave

My standard game starts and works on Steam, no problem. Now I fully believe that the Modenabler and the mod itself are good pieces of software, so it must have something to do with Steam.

If there is a way to get this working offline, it's fine for me.

Anyone?
LittleGrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 04:25 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

THEBERBSTER's SH4 Tutorials... post probably has the most helpful collection of info to start reading in. While you wait for a more knowledgeable reply, what OS are you using, and where did you install SH4? If you used the Steam "default", the game ended up in the Program Files (x86) directory, and depending upon how much UAC (User Access Control) you have in place, you might not be able to do much with it in that folder. You're better off using your Steam Account's manager online to choose a different install directory. You'll most likely encounter similar when you try to mod SH3. Before you even think about using SH5, you'll want to go over into that section of SubSim and read up on that game and Steam. There are some special moves you'll have to make...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-13-17 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Who knew a "4" would cost you a "$"?
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 06:50 PM   #3
LittleGrebe
Watch

Thanks for answering, being new (again) here, I can't find my way on the site yet.

There is indeed a post (7) about avoiding the 'Program Files', that says the following:

- Find the copy of SH4 inside your steam folder in Program Files.

- Paste the Silent Hunter 4 folder somewhere like C:\Games\Silent Hunter 4.

- Rename your Silent Hunter 4 folder to "SilentHunter4".

Well, did that but it doesn't work.

The renaming is strange, my folder is named: 'Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific'. Tried all options: with and without indents (also for 'Silent Hunter 4'), all four don't work.

SH5, I don't even think about it I like the theatre of SH4 and sailing with the Americans
Old 02-13-17, 07:08 AM   #4
propbeanie

OK, you had it in the Program Files folder, which from Vista on through Windows 10 is a "protected" Windows System folder, which prevents you from making changes to files, such as adding a mod. The way mentioned in #7 used to work, but Steam now "protects" its files also, and does not recognize the game as a Steam game apparently, after the move. The way to do it is in a different post from that, but I don't remember which one... What you have to do is un-install the game as it is now. You might have to put the folder back where it was to accomplish that. Log into your Steam account, and work through there. You manage the uninstall and install through that, and you can put it anywhere you want. Just stay away from a Windows System folder, and you'll be OK.

Another point I forgot to ask you is whether you've got the "plain" version of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific, which is v1.3, or if you also got the U-Boat Missions add-on, which is v1.5? The UBM add-on is almost mandatory if you want to install mods. I cannot think of a single mod that's available for v1.3 anymore. There's only a few available for v1.4 anymore, and Steam doesn't allow an update to v1.4 for some strange reason anymore.

Edit: I found the correct post to use, which is #3 there:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...21&postcount=3

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-13-17 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Post #3
Old 02-13-17, 10:43 AM   #5
LittleGrebe
Watch

Thank you, very helpful!

I have version 1.5, the Steam package sells it with U-boat Missions. A few years ago I played with a CD-version of SH4 updated to 1.4. Adding a mod was easy. I still have that CD but in order to get version 1.5 I had to buy via Steam.

Have been reading the other threads about Steam and Mods, tried to install via a backup but Steam does not allow me to change my directory. Gives me a message that says: the Programs (x86) is the standard directory and cannot be changed/removed.

Uninstalling a working game, not my standard behavior

Probably the only way...

And yes, I want to play a hardcore version of the game, that's what TMO promises. Not that I'm good, didn't play for too long, but I'm a hardcore 100% reality player and love a long and exhausting campaign. So, I always start at maximum difficulty and will end at the bottom within minutes the first few times. For me, it's the way to get better.
Old 02-13-17, 12:55 PM   #6
propbeanie

Like riding a bike... when you fall down, get back up and try again, only with this, no skinned knees or elbows...

You will have to uninstall via Steam, I'm almost certain of that, prior to trying a re-install in a different directory. That's just the way they work their licensing anymore. Use the Steam control panel though, not the install routing itself, to change the directories. I'm not even sure you can do multiple copies anymore for different mod installs. We'd have to have someone with a newer Steam version come on and tell, because those with older Steam versions don't seem to be as restricted in what they do with their game.

Old 02-13-17, 04:27 PM   #7
LittleGrebe
Watch

Managed to install the game and the Mod, it works!

It is not possible to install the game on the C-drive, the standard directory (Programs (x86) cannot be removed, so I put it on another partition.

Before that I had to uninstall the game in the Programs (x86) directory.

Maybe, when you first install a Steam game, it is possible to choose a different standard directory.

Installing is in fact easy if you know what to do, but the correct procedure is hard to find. You have to read tutorials, threads, watch YouTube and start a thread yourself

So, right now I'm in my first campaign mission (TMO Atlantic Fleet, Narwhal), heading to Japan

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.
Old 02-13-17, 04:37 PM   #8
propbeanie

Glad you're going. Happy Hunting!