SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-16, 11:27 AM   #811
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Uploads: 0

I am like a blind man in a minefield when it comes to modding things...Sometimes they work sometimes I get my a$$ blown away...So if you folks want to use my idea feel free ...I won't even charge you for it..It does make me feel kind of good just to know I might have helped...
Old 07-21-16, 01:48 PM   #812
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Wolverine View Post
I am like a blind man in a minefield when it comes to modding things...Sometimes they work sometimes I get my a$$ blown away...So if you folks want to use my idea feel free ...I won't even charge you for it..It does make me feel kind of good just to know I might have helped...
Cool, we'll work it up and include a thank you to you in the readme!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 02:03 PM   #813
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I have managed to remove most of the shouting the crew make when a torpedo hits,by going to the data/speech files...Their I found 9 folders which contained Ch-torpedo impact files I removed all of them and tried out a training mission,sink the cruiser...All I have from the crew is a subdued "yes" when the torpedoes hit..Not the greatest solution but it seems to work..Update...Currently out of Midway and lurking s.e. of Yokohama....2 fishing boats 1 jap zero and 2 type B freighters are feeding the fish...Seems like removing the files fixed the problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Now, Rabid, you can turn that into a mod. Save several zero length files with the same names as the files you replaced. Then make a JSGME mod with those new "sound" files in the \data\speech directory.

So your mod structure will look like NoDamnCelebrating\data\speech, with \speech containing the sounds of silence files under the same names as the files that celebrate. Zip it all up (I use 7zip) and you've made a mod!

You know, I've often wondered why JSGME didn't work with compressed files directly.......
Quote:
Nice catch there Rabid Wolverine, but there are two of those three files, in all nine speech folders, that are part of the "shouting". They just change like one letter in their names to differentiate between them. I'm not certain yet how they do their "rotation" among the nine folders during game play (shift change, day of the week, situation??). There are a few other sound mods that have much more polite, and less dangerous methods of celebration, such as "Yes!" or plain "Hit!", and such that Bungo Pete won't get quite as good of a fix on your boat, if used as a substitute. I'm away from home at the time, else I would have been finished by now with my version of substitutions. I'm also trying to get to use what Jeff-Groves sent me in order to look at the sdl file in the stock game closer, so as to match the mod files' parameters to the stock's.

As a side note, I'm using my son's laptop, and I may have gotten the wrong version of the beta also, but I'm not certain. I've got CapnScurvy's fixins in the mod, but my Weapons & Sensors tab is non-functional also. Seems to me that at home, on my big computer, that that is not the case, but I'm not certain. I do not have a good enough connection or bandwidth with which to download the beta again, so I'm stuck with what I have until probably Monday. You all have fun though, 'cause I sure aren't... :wink:

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 02:33 PM   #814
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

FOTRS Ultimate Beta is 2.8 GB uncompressed.
It includes 738 folders and 6291 files.

As RR said, JSGME needs to be used very carefully before enabling this monster of a mod.

A way to avoid uninstalls and reinstalls is to have a complete unmodded copy of SH4 in another location on the disk. Read only status is highly recommended. When you need to install or reinstall a FOTRS version, delete the whole SH4 folder, copy the backup one, and install FOTRS using JSGME.

This way, there's no chance of JSGME "forgetting" something and it's A LOT more quick procedure than reinstalling the whole game. If you can spare 5 GB of disk space, I recommend it.

It seems I'm the only one having weapons & sensors working during patrol. Not that it matters so much anyway.

Cheers, Billy.
Old 07-21-16, 02:55 PM   #815
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
A way to avoid uninstalls and reinstalls is to have a complete unmodded copy of SH4 in another location on the disk. Read only status is highly recommended. When you need to install or reinstall a FOTRS version, delete the whole SH4 folder, copy the backup one, and install FOTRS using JSGME.
Been doing this from the beginning.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 03:30 PM   #816
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
FOTRS Ultimate Beta is 2.8 GB uncompressed.
It includes 738 folders and 6291 files.
Are we still talking v.01 Beta or is there a newer version out now?

Old 07-21-16, 03:53 PM   #817
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Are we still talking v.01 Beta or is there a newer version out now?
Yes Commander, that's the size of the v0.1 Beta.
Adding Max's Razzle/Dazzle the mod surpasses 3 GB.

Cheers,
Billy.
Old 07-21-16, 04:12 PM   #818
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I'll check to see what's up with the Weapons and Sensors page......I haven't looked at it, fooling around in the Museum has taken up my time.

To you guys that are looking at the sounds. A free app called Gold Wave is what I use. If you look at the .ogg file that's got the yelling at the end of the phrase you can tell someone just added the cheers to it. With an app like Gold Wave you can remove it just as quick. Won't have to change but one file.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 04:37 PM   #819
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
Yes Commander, that's the size of the v0.1 Beta.
Adding Max's Razzle/Dazzle the mod surpasses 3 GB.

Cheers,
Billy.
Thanks, Billy.

Old 07-21-16, 06:56 PM   #820
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'll check to see what's up with the Weapons and Sensors page......I haven't looked at it, fooling around in the Museum has taken up my time.
If I remember correctly about my home computer, the Weapons & Sensors page does not work in the Single Mission side of things, but does on the Campaign side in the FotRSUv0.1Beta. On my son's laptop, it just doesn't work. I only have the one install on my boy's machine, so I'm stuck with what I have (we're still out of town), which may well be "soup" of the spoiled variety, since I've had probably 3 or 4 mods in that folder over the last couple of years. It's just a backup of a backup of a backup machine that got little playing time previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
To you guys that are looking at the sounds. A free app called Gold Wave is what I use. If you look at the .ogg file that's got the yelling at the end of the phrase you can tell someone just added the cheers to it. With an app like Gold Wave you can remove it just as quick. Won't have to change but one file.
I've got Reaper DAW and SoundForge v9 that can do a good job, in addition to Audacity, which is a freeware editor. That's not a bad idea to just trim off the excess Capn, which would also get rid of the "Shhh! Quiet!"...

@cdsubron7: as Billy or max mentioned earlier, you're a big reason I'm not still playing the SSI Silent Hunter still, now affectionately referred to as Version One. (btw, I do still have it on the hard drive, right next to D-Fend Reloaded, and it works, too!) Between news & reviews of your Single Missions, and Spyron, I had to give v4 a go. I'd done v2 and Destroyer Command, and was very leary of doing anything Ubi after those... But your "Quick" Missions could easily kill a whole morning or afternoon, and sometimes, ALL day! "Yes dear, coming!"...

Old 07-21-16, 07:08 PM   #821
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
@cdsubron7: as Billy or max mentioned earlier, you're a big reason I'm not still playing the SSI Silent Hunter still, now affectionately referred to as Version One. (btw, I do still have it on the hard drive, right next to D-Fend Reloaded, and it works, too!) Between news & reviews of your Single Missions, and Spyron, I had to give v4 a go. I'd done v2 and Destroyer Command, and was very leary of doing anything Ubi after those... But your "Quick" Missions could easily kill a whole morning or afternoon, and sometimes, ALL day! "Yes dear, coming!"...
Well, I guess you'd better tell your wife when FOTRS Ultimate is released that you'll be occupied for awhile. I can't say how missions I'll make, but I've got ten missions already done and quite a few more ideas on the burner. I've never had so many choices with which to fill a mission. I have to say that I'm enjoying myself immensely.

Unrestricted submarine warfare, I believe those were the words used.

Old 07-21-16, 08:44 PM   #822
propbeanie

Let me tell ya, the wife is next to me, here in this motel room, doing facebook on her "smart" fone - I can't even figger how to do that on a full-size screen, and she's doing it there... anyway, she just asked me "what're you doin'? - er, wait - don't tell me - that submarine stuff again, eh?"... she's good, ain't she?... I've already done more WotP with FotRSU in the last few weeks than what I'd done all of the last year of all mods combined...

Old 07-22-16, 01:40 AM   #823
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

Weird problem (blessing)..I was playing fotrs 1.3...Got bored with the lack of destroyer reactions,so I removed the sim from the active jsgme and deleated it from jsgme..Moved tmo 2.5 from deactivated in jsgme in to active...Now I have all of fotrs ships in tmo 2.5+ tmo's ships.....
Old 07-22-16, 05:39 AM   #824
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148

Is this a closed beta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 07:36 AM   #825
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
Is this a closed beta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For now, it's closed beta. Most probably next version we will open up to select volunteer crash test dummies. We should not be alone in our torment!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote