SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-15, 12:45 PM   #16
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

There is also a do it yourself fix (edit) that Coletrains posted that I still use from time to time if this happens. Historically, it is my understanding that the Captain would select the fore, or aft mount, (or both) that he preferred.

Basically in this edit you move the crew slots in activeuserplayerunit.upc for the Gun(s) to repair the crew slots that vanished, or the gun that disappeared, etc.

ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc in your saved games:

Example:
Documents\SH4\Data\cfg\SaveGames\0000000n\ActiveUs erPlayerUnits.upc ...... where 'n' is the number of your most recent Saved Game file ( \0000000n ) in My Documents that you made in port that has the problem of no crew slots, or any mix-up with your deck guns for that matter.

The upc file should be opened with a Plain Text editor like Notepad to make the fix. Make a backup of the file before you edit it just to be safe.

Post 14 here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrains View Post
I had the same problem when ever I tried to change the gun type within a career. I am playing with v1.2 knowing that I always have to set my gun type when offered a new bot. Unfortunately with the new Balao class I installed a bow gun instead of stern (I always used stern since I need the the gun only if i cant dive due to hull damage and a destroyer is following me).

Solution (not so easy) to replace a Bow deck gun with a Stern deck gun (2 crewmen):
all entrances are in the file of your savegame:
-ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc (backup it!)

-Search for the compartments 7 (Stern gun) and 8 (Bow gun)
they start with "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7"

-Get a feeling of the file structure and write it down (compare sections of savegames with Stern and Bow type gun for instance and see differences)

-do not change "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7/8"

-now exchange the weapon entrances:
for instance replace "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]" (which means nothing is installed at stern)
with all sub categories beginning with "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.WeaponSlot 1.Weapon]" to "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 2.CrewMember.Rank.CrewMember3D]"

-you can simply cut/copy and paste.

-now change the numbers "7" to "8" and "8" to "7" of the moved categories

Some small changes left:
-in "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7.WeaponSlot 1]" enter the gun type:

-"IDLinkWeaponLoaded=x", x=gun type for me it was 4in50calUS

-search in compartments 7 and 8 for (multiple entries) :
"ID=CrewMemberSlot_x", x should be DGun for Stern and DGgun2 for Bow (note that there is another extension C1 and L for crew and leader which you dont need to change like DGun2L)

-search for "WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_M0x", x=1 for Bow, and x=2 for Stern (if you don't adjust this you have a shooting non visible gun crew)

-search for "CurrentUpgradePack=Upack4in50calDGBow" and change this to "CurrentUpgradePack=Upack4in50calDGStern" (this is only for the description in the docks)

------
-------------------------------------------- also from:
Post 10 here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121460

Quote:
neumanf15 wrote:
I haven't gotten a chance to test in combat, but it seems to be good to go when I man the deck guns, so here's my input on this:

You CAN get both deck guns manned by AI, IF you are willing to do a little editing in your save game...

I have that nasty bug that won't let you switch deck gun positions without losing all deck gun crew positions. My deck gun was set to fore before I got the dual guns. It will only let me control the fore gun myself and my crew would only man the fore gun... SOOOO I had to go in and edit my save game per Coletrains (post #14) in this thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121472

I switched my crew to the Aft Gun Deck and it was working fine. I could do what you were talking about AirborneTD - I man Fore, AI mans Aft.

But then I got to thinking:hmm:, "Shouldn't I be able to do this again, but make BOTH decks mannable by AI?" So I tried it - It SEEMS to have worked (again, not combat tested yet, but I hit man the deck gun and I look to see both guns manned)... Here's what I did:

I'm going to assume you read Coletrains' instructions in the link I provided. They are a lot more detailed than mine, but not patricularly necessary for this fix.
You have to do this while in port.

Go into the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in your save folder, per the thread above. Back it up first!

Find the gun deck that is not currently manned (Either Compartment 7(aft) or Compartment 8(fore)). You should see (substitute 7 for 8 if your fore gun deck is currently manned):
Code:
Quote:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]
Remove the words AdditionalRepository so it says:
Code:
Quote:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 1]
Repeat for Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 2.
Don't change anything else. Save.

Load the game. You should see two gun decks, one with your original gun crew and one with two empty slots. Put some crew in the new slots and head out to sea.

Now if only I could figure out how to make it let me choose which deck gun to man!
------
--------------------------------------------
I recommend you read all the posts in these 2 topic links above so you get familiar with this file, the issues with the guns, and know how to 'fix them' when this happens.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 04:16 PM   #17
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Uploads: 0
Default No Joy yet but...

I've been trying to fix the "No Deck Gun Crew" as suggesting the earlier posts in this thread and I've yet to get it to actually work. The gun does seem slow to load and I have to fire it myself but that's not really a show-stopper.

I timed the reload and it's only 15 seconds. That seems pretty OK all things considered.

I'll continue to experiment with the save files to see if I can figure what's wrong in that area.

The file I'm working on is ActiveUserPlayerUnits.UPC in the latest save game. That IS the correct file, right?
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 05:25 PM   #18
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
........ The file I'm working on is ActiveUserPlayerUnits.UPC in the latest save game. That IS the correct file, right?
Yes, that's the correct file. Are you running mods? TMO adds a 'Crew Berthing' section in the file, so that extra section changes the guns from:
the Stock:
Compartment 7 and Compartment 8 to
Compartment 8 and Compartment 9.
That is important and may help.... keep this in mind when planning your repair. You'll see what the Compartments are numbered when you look in ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc. Also, it is easier to do this repair work in port.

No, that isn't your job, you are doing ALL the work; hauling shells, loading, and firing, if you have no crew to 'help'. Your job is to command, Captain : )

Last edited by aanker; 08-06-15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 05:51 PM   #19
Raptor_Pilot
WORST. KALEUN. EVER.

Downloads: 68

I've also had problems with the deck gun, using v1.5 with GFO mod. (Which I don't think changes the Deck Gun in any way.)
I started off in Asiatic Fleet with a Sargo class , and I removed my gun crew before swapping out the rear-mounted deck gun (I had previously heard about losing the gun crew if not reassigned first) for a forward mount. Everything worked fine, and I reassigned the gun crew before leaving port.
I ran three patrols with the submarine before transferring to a Gato Class. After the transfer I was docked at Pearl Harbor, once again I put the gun crews in the Damage Control, swapped the Aft Mount for a Fore Mount, and reassigned the crew just fine.
I went on patrol, and put into Freemantle Australia to refuel and rearm before heading back out. After I headed out from Freemantle, the game crashed halfway through the new trip.
When I restarted the game and loaded my save game, my Deck Gun had mysteriously disappeared. I loaded up the autosave from back in Pearl Harbor before the patrol, and checked my subsystems.
My deck gun had somehow swapped from Fore to Aft and my crew was missing. There were empty crew slots, so I figured I'd remount the deck gun and reassign a crew. When I tried to put the fore mount gun in place, the deck gun crew slots disappeared, and I was unable to assign my gun crew.
I thought I would check things out, so I launched the boat and took a look. The deck gun was physically present, but the crew slots were not there. I loaded an earlier autosave to try to get my deck gun back, but even the stern deck gun crew slots were missing. I restarted the game and attempted to reload, but no matter what I did, the game refused to recognize that I had a deck gun attached.

At that moment I had a bit of a rage quit and deleted my career save, given the fact I had reloaded every save file associated with it, and in all of them the deck gun was nonexistent. Physically present, just not recognized by the game.

So I've downloaded this Default Bow Deck Gun file, and restarted my career. Upon loading into my old Sargo Class in the Asiatic Fleet again, now I'm treated to a fully functional Bow Deck Gun by default.

Thank you Sniper297, you might have single-handedly saved Silent Hunter 4 for me. We'll see what happens when I transfer to a new submarine.

I'd like to meet the genius who though a deck gun should be stern mounted...
Raptor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 06:20 PM   #20
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_Pilot View Post
................. I'd like to meet the genius who though a deck gun should be stern mounted...
It is my understanding that Deck Gun placement, fore or aft was at the Captain's discretion, some preferred fore, some aft. (just as we have that choice - when the game cooperates). Look at US WW II submarine photos, there are both fore and aft guns pictured.

I happen to prefer a stern mount........ sorry : )

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Old 08-06-15, 07:10 PM   #21
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Default Some joy to report!

Thanks to all who've responded to my post. I think that I've finally found some joy to report.

I was editing the wrong file! There's a ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc in the savegames/000000#e/ directory, but there's also a savegames/000000#e/UPCInitial directory. That also contains a ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc. It seems to be the one in the lower level directory that matters.

I was missing that critical detail.
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Old 08-06-15, 07:49 PM   #22
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I've only read some of this thread, so I may be off base here,

BUT, changing the "SH4" folder is only a temporary fix.

The data within the "SH4" folder found in your "Documents" folder is only there because of your game "reading" the game's files and putting the important information it finds within the "main" game files into the SH4 folder for future use (like where you are in the game world when you decide to "save" your game.....or what information needs to be saved, like which sub your currently using.....how its configured, etc.).

To correct the issue, you need to correct the UPC files found in the "main" game files......not the group of files that are constantly remade/updated found in the "Documents/SH4" folder.

It's like the player the other day thinking she could make her game options "stick" by changing the SH4 folder to what she wanted (her thread)......no way!

The "SH4" folder will read what's changed (or in her case, not changed) from the specific options menu files, making her manual changes to the SH4 folder revert back to what the "main" game files state every time she starts the game.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 08:13 PM   #23
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Great news. Yes, the \UPCInitial folder(s)..... Sorry about that.

Sometimes \UPCInitial is there, sometimes it is also in an upper level folder, and sometimes there isn't one. I don't know why.

CapnScurvy is right, the Main UPC files need to be perfect, however to correct the gun issue mid-game without starting over, the Saved Game needs to be edited. Coletrains edit was the best answer I could find.

Last edited by aanker; 08-06-15 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 10:03 PM   #24
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Default Capn Scurvy...

Capn Scurvy, I just did a test and am worried that I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Step 1 after the edit.
I rebooted my computer after the change. Relaunched the game, reloaded the "fixed file."
My gun reload speed went from 15 seconds to 8 seconds and I can see the deck gun crew now when I look at my crew manifest.

I then played for a bit made another save and then did step 1 again.
Everything now seems to be working.

I'm in a Gato class sub. Are you saying that the problem will re-occur if and when I get offered a newer boat?

If so, what files SHOULD I be looking at. You said "main" game files, can you give me a directory and a file name? I'd love to put this to bed permanently if I could and also post the fix on the You-tube channel that I'm watching where the guy's got the problem. He may never play again but others might.
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Old 08-07-15, 07:25 AM   #25
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Hello Havan_IronOak

What I'm saying is the "Documents/SH4" folder is only holding whatever "main" game files it needs to have in order to reproduce the game your playing. I would not count on making changes within the "SH4" folder and think.........it will hold the next time I start the game. It may not. Least wise it will probably change back to whatever the "main" game states its files read the next time you "save" the game, or the next time the game automatically "saves" the game (like when you return/leave port).

The changes/corrections need to be made within the "main" game files......within the "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" folder. Probably under the "Data/UPC" folders. The UPC folders will mirror the specific folders that are in the temporary "SH4" folder (after all THAT"S where the files in the "SH4" folder come from). It's there where changes should be made.

aanker is quite right. If you don't want to start over in a Campaign, then a temporary fix is what you do in the "SH4" folder. I'm one to think of the "SH4" folder as only a temporary folder....change it as often as changing your socks, but make fix's within the "Main" game files.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote