SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-17, 09:27 PM   #1
caine007
A-ganger

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Evading torpedoes in this game makes me wonder about RL

I quite like the torpedo evasion mechanics in this game. Yes the sub agility and knuckles are total BS, as are the way the torpedoes helpfully turn away when they lose lock but as a game, it feels pretty good. I still get hit by torpedoes and usually it's because I screwed up somehow which makes for good gameplay.

But man does it freak the crap out of me for how it would work in real life.

Any ex (or current!) submariners on here? Did you ever feel that if things went hot you were basically screwed? I know that stealth would be a FAR greater factor than it's modelled here but it feels like if it ever got to the stage where someone is able to launch a weapon at you... your chances weren't great.
caine007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 10:45 PM   #2
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Angles and dangles. I think a lot of the submarine budget goes to stealthiness.

I had read on the internet, and EVERYTHING on the internet is true of course, that there is an ability to shut down among large schools of fish to mask sound. In CW, if I sink a ship/sub and it is creaking away on the bottom I go to it in hopes of masking my presence in its noise. I sit 30ft above it hoping that it masks me. I wonder if that is modelled in CW. I still do it, though.

If anyone knows about the modelling in this case, an intel report would be appreciated.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 10:45 PM   #3
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by caine007 View Post
I quite like the torpedo evasion mechanics in this game. Yes the sub agility and knuckles are total BS, as are the way the torpedoes helpfully turn away when they lose lock but as a game, it feels pretty good. I still get hit by torpedoes and usually it's because I screwed up somehow which makes for good gameplay.

But man does it freak the crap out of me for how it would work in real life.

Any ex (or current!) submariners on here? Did you ever feel that if things went hot you were basically screwed? I know that stealth would be a FAR greater factor than it's modelled here but it feels like if it ever got to the stage where someone is able to launch a weapon at you... your chances weren't great.
Go watch Jive Turkey's Youtube channel. He was a sonar tech on 688 and used to train new crew on new boats.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 12:41 AM   #4
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Doing some reading on the Skipjack, apparently most said the closest analog to how it handled was flying an aircraft. Just something to think about.

-Jenrick
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 03:31 AM   #5
ollie1983
Sailor man

Downloads: 5

I spoke to former serving Sub officer back at a wedding a while back, he turned up in proper uniform including the sword etc.

Anyways, I spent the entire afternoon talking to him. They spent a lot of their time in Soviet waters, basically spying. Certainly through his duration in the navy he said they were not particularly concerned about their torpedoes because they knew about their performance from observing soviet exercise.

The one thing they were gravely concerned about was the Soviet use of these RBU rockets. The Soviets would regularly fire these at anything they caught a sniff off, even in peacetime and it was never pleasant. Soviet surface vessels knew NATO subs would often spy on them and so it was common for them to park a surface ship up drifting on the edge of any exercise, knowing it would be virtually invisible and then use it to fire rockets at anything that came close enough. If you got hit, of course the Soviets would have said a foreign vessel in their waters was there on a hostile spying mission and had 'strayed into a live fire exercise by accident' etc etc etc.

One of the other very risky things they used to do was trail other NATO boats very closely and then report to high command that they had managed it. The message would then be passed to the other country. The main risk from this was basically running into the opposing friendly sub. I don't doubt for a second this still goes on. I think a British Sub scraped a Frenchie not long ago playing games. Of course, around the North Sea and English channel the water isn't all that deep so detecting each other a bit more straight-forward than in the open ocean.

Last edited by ollie1983; 07-09-17 at 05:56 AM.
ollie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 04:53 AM   #6
caine007
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
Angles and dangles. I think a lot of the submarine budget goes to stealthiness.

I had read on the internet, and EVERYTHING on the internet is true of course, that there is an ability to shut down among large schools of fish to mask sound. In CW, if I sink a ship/sub and it is creaking away on the bottom I go to it in hopes of masking my presence in its noise. I sit 30ft above it hoping that it masks me. I wonder if that is modelled in CW. I still do it, though.

If anyone knows about the modelling in this case, an intel report would be appreciated.
Sinking ships and wrecks definitely attract torpedoes. I've dodged a few by passing near them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie1983 View Post
The one thing they were gravely concerned about was the Soviet use of these RBU rockets. The Soviets would regularly fire these at anything they caught a sniff off, even in peacetime and it was never pleasant. Soviet surface vessels knew NATO subs would often spy on them and so it was common for them to park a surface ship up drifting on the edge of any exercise, knowing it would be virtually invisible and then use it to fire rockets at anything that came close enough. If you got hit, of course the Soviets would have said a foreign vessel in their waters was there on a hostile spying mission and had 'strayed into a live fire exercise by accident' etc etc etc.
That's nuts.
Old 07-09-17, 06:02 AM   #7
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie1983 View Post
One of the other very risky things they used to do was trail other NATO boats very closely and then report to high command that they had managed it. The message would then be passed to the other country. The main risk from this was basically running into the opposing friendly sub. I don't doubt for a second this still goes on. I think a British Sub scraped a Frenchie not long ago playing games. Of course, around the North Sea and English channel the water isn't all that deep so detecting each other a bit more straight-forward than in the open ocean.
My dad's sub hit a Russian sub in the 80's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Sceptre_(S104)
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 09:26 AM   #8
Steiger
Planesman

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
Angles and dangles.
Haha this guy's gotta be a fellow hockey player. Sometimes after a nice evasion on a torp I'll catch myself saying "dirty ****ing dangles, boys."
Old 07-09-17, 11:39 AM   #9
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiger View Post
Haha this guy's gotta be a fellow hockey player. Sometimes after a nice evasion on a torp I'll catch myself saying "dirty ****ing dangles, boys."
"Its a hard life picking stones and pulling teats, but sure as God's got sandals it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails."
Old 07-09-17, 12:40 PM   #10
Steiger
Planesman

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
"Its a hard life picking stones and pulling teats, but sure as God's got sandals it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails."
Clappies from the hashies buddy!
Old 07-10-17, 12:29 AM   #11
caine007
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
My dad's sub hit a Russian sub in the 80's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Sceptre_(S104)
Sounds like a brown trouser moment right there. So many submarine incidents seem to be narrowly avoiding catastrophe by the hairiest margins.
Old 07-10-17, 05:40 PM   #12
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89

Torpedo evasion is... kind of an unknown. The sub crews train for it, of course, but that training is based on assessments of what the opposing weapons can do, and not from any real experience. By which I mean that the only way to know for certain if the tactics work is to get shot at... which I, speaking for myself and what I assume to be most of the sub fleet, would just as soon NOT do.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 06:43 PM   #13
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadriss View Post
Torpedo evasion is... kind of an unknown. The sub crews train for it, of course, but that training is based on assessments of what the opposing weapons can do, and not from any real experience. By which I mean that the only way to know for certain if the tactics work is to get shot at... which I, speaking for myself and what I assume to be most of the sub fleet, would just as soon NOT do.
Couldn't drills be done with warhead-less torpedoes? For all intents and purposes they'd be like live ones for evasion purposes. Only they wouldn't explode if they hit.

Seems too much of an obvious avenue to not have been considered. What's wrong with it?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 07:12 PM   #14
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Couldn't drills be done with warhead-less torpedoes? For all intents and purposes they'd be like live ones for evasion purposes. Only they wouldn't explode if they hit.

Seems too much of an obvious avenue to not have been considered. What's wrong with it?
There was a GUPPY boat which was used for just that. It had to be specially plated for them to bounce Mk 37s off it. Still, I would guess that wouldn't be looked on so kindly today for all the things that could go wrong. Even without a warhead, you have something like that clang off of your screw, probably enough to bend some blades or even the propeller shaft, boat out of service and millions in unexpected yard-work.

My guess is that they probably have computer simulations of all that that would knock you socks off, but yeah the applied aspect of it just isn't there.
Old 07-10-17, 07:39 PM   #15
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Also having a torpedo running around isn't the same as having an enemy torpedo running around. We can development the best torpedo evasion protocol in the world for our own torpedoes, but it'd be a guess on how they'd work against the other sides.

-Jenrick
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote