SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-19, 02:24 PM   #1
CombatFlapjack
Swabbie

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Help with FOTRS ubermod, please...

...as I am either too old to understand "how to" or just plain stupid. But I just don't get it.

Got mint SH4+Uboat missions straight off Steam. Works with no problems.

I have downloaded FOTRS zip and I have hit a wall or a couple of walls, to be honest.

Firstly, I don't understand this http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
"Reinstalling from scratch is the gold standard here. Uninstall and reinstall SH4. As always, documentation is available in the root and Data folders. Use JSGME to install, but first install Large Address Aware.exe. Files and instructions are in the mod. JSGME and MultiSH4 are also included with instructions. Put Large Address Aware, JSGME and MultiSH4 into your Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific directory. Run Large Address Aware, choosing SH4.exe as the file you want to be aware. Run JSGME and quit, then copy 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.81_RC1_EN.7z into your MODS directory and decompress it there with 7zip.exe, available online for free. Then run JSGME again and use it to install FOTRSU.

Got this far: reinstall SH4

OK, so I have downloaded the zip and I have unpacked it to desktop. Few folders there. Data, Extras and Support. "Extras" includes JSGME, laa, SH4CMS, multish4, 7z. There's also Readme there that doesn't say what to do step by step...

Can someone guide me through this?

What to do with DATA and SUPPORT folders?

Help, I'm sinking!

First post in 5 years, jeez I'm a lurker, sorry...
CombatFlapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 03:10 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Okay, combat FlatJack. Leave the FOTRSU folder on the desktop for now. Go to your Extras folder within the FOTRSU mod. There you'll find JSGME.exe, Large Address Aware.exe and MultiSH4.exe. Don't worry about MultiSH4. That's for people who want to use their game with muliple mod configurations and not recommended for beginners.

But JSGME.exe and Large Address Aware.exe (or LAA.exe, I don't have this in front of me right now) need to be copied to your SH4 Wolves of the Pacific directory. Go there with file explorer.

First run laa.exe. It will pop up a window asking which executable program you want to make large address aware. You want to select SH4.exe, then apply. You're done there.

Then run JSGME, look at the pretty dialog box and then immediately close it. That will make a MODS folder inside SH4 Wolves of the Pacific. You'll copy or move your FOTRSU folder from your desktop into the MODS folder. Then run JSGME.

The thing you want to do is obey CapnScurvy's instructions to do a "Tasks - Generate a snapshot of game files." This takes a snapshot of pristine game files that you can later compare to know when you have file corruption. It takes time, but DO IT. You WILL have file corruption at some point and need to know it. Wait for the process to conclude.

Inside the box to the left, you'll now see FOTRSU as an available mod. Select it and choose to install. This will take awhile and you'll wonder if something went wrong. Something did. FOTRSU is freaking huge and nobody dreamed such a gigantic thing would ever be added to SH4 back in 2008. Once it's done installing exit JSGME and you are go for starting SH4 in your first FOTRSU experience!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-19, 08:43 AM   #3
CombatFlapjack
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Okay

Thank you, Sir.
CombatFlapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-19, 02:33 PM   #4
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatFlapjack View Post
Thank you, Sir.
Capt Scurvy's instruction ... read them carefully by the way. I had problem because I failed to make sure to remove a certain folder. After your installation of the game itself just do not play it until the mod is loaded. If you did start it to change resolution settings then it will create a folder in your "my documents" folder called "SH4". Just make sure to delete it.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-19, 03:38 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

FOTRSU has taught us so much about how the game works that it's amazing we're the first to find 10 year old behavior. And FOTRSU is such a monstrous sized mod that it stretches the game to its limits, while still playing snappier than TMO2.5 thanks to Jeff Groves, CapnScurvy, Propbeanie and S7rikeback fixing so many stock and mod mistakes that took up much memory and time.

We're a huge, heavy, lean, mean fighting mod!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 11:19 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

One potential pitfall you may encounter CombatFlapjack, is the default install path for the Steam version of the game, which defaults to "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter...." Windows will not allow you to 'mod' that install. If this is your only Steam game, just re-install, but put it in a folder of its own that you make, such as "C:\Games \Steam \" etc. If you have a 2nd hard drive or partition on your computer, you can create another Steam Library folder that is outside of the normal Steam folder. The Steam Support site has a thread Moving a Steam Installation and Games.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote