Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-10, 04:55 PM   #901
Blood_splat
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

inappropriate image removed

Last edited by Webster; 02-10-10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-09-10, 04:57 PM   #902
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay82 View Post
Thank you for your opinions... some realistic and some not (spent over 3 hours reading this topic :P)

If this DRM comes i will not buy this game either but i understand the developers desire to control who plays and who dont (pirates)... ive been playing games since Monkey in qbasic and over the years i learned one thing: The more devs struggle to keep pirates at bay, the harder the impact on loyal coustomers.

easy put: the more rules and laws a government makes... the more the tax payers have to pay too keep jails going

and after reading this, id rather get married to "Starforce" than submitting to this type of system.... put to the egde..

Too Bad...

and if this system comes to life in all pc games... either you need unique usernames and passwords for every game ... or risk getting monsterhacked with only 1 for em all

SO like the rest: DRM = im not buying... NO DRM = Ahead Flank

Don't think the SHV Devs really had anything to do with it but I think I found a company whom has the same marketing.

Old 02-11-10, 08:15 AM   #903
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Default Are there any benefits being online the whole time ?

Are there any benefits being online the whole time while playing single player ? Could anything be added dynamically via the servers while i am playing the single player campaign . And no , i dont mean malicious or tracking programs either . I mean anything that would enhance the game .
Old 02-11-10, 08:18 AM   #904
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

The only advantage is for the Publisher, not the player. They control the game.
Old 02-11-10, 08:39 AM   #905
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

The only advantage Y can see is if:
One needed a less powerful machine to play

Let's assume publisher kept the game and only fed you needed bits of the game related to your positon and stage of the game.

Example: You sre starting, all you need is the harbour and what goes on there.. Once you get underway, the game updates to let's say what goes on 25 miles around you.

Would that be possible?
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Old 02-11-10, 08:41 AM   #906
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Whoah! Deja vu!!
Old 02-11-10, 08:44 AM   #907
martes86
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brag View Post
The only advantage Y can see is if:
One needed a less powerful machine to play

Let's assume publisher kept the game and only fed you needed bits of the game related to your positon and stage of the game.

Example: You sre starting, all you need is the harbour and what goes on there.. Once you get underway, the game updates to let's say what goes on 25 miles around you.

Would that be possible?
Possible, yes. But extremely useless (and server-side costly) from a technical POV, and a very unlikely scenario.

Cheers
Old 02-11-10, 08:47 AM   #908
Blood_splat
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 20

It would be kind of cool if the DD's and DE's could be controlled by humans so you wouldn't know if it's AI or human. You would log in and get a message that says, so and so is engaging a convoy do you wish to protect the convoy? yes or no. All of a sudden your controlling a destroyer.

I need to get some sleep.
Old 02-11-10, 09:03 AM   #909
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Not that they have implemented, but
There can be some advantages related to cooperative playing.
Example, you'd create a group and have your friends join. The server would start a campaign for the group, and everybody would start playing on their own time. Depending on their actions, sinkings, or detections (convoy or they themselves detected) the online campaign engine can feed the rest of the group with information and change routes of convoys, destroyer groups, air groups, etc.. Possibly realtime radio comms. between currently online members of the group, but you wouldnt actually see them visually. Timecompression and the data synchronization of players would have to be somehow mixed in the equation here..

I know it sounds like cooperative multiplayer wbut since this game takes place in a big world, and people use TC, this server side software approach might be a way to implement it.

The Savegame and nocd feature pitches they are making are useless, they need to be thinking in terms of cooperative stuff to sell the idea to us. As it stands it offers nothing to the player.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
Old 02-11-10, 09:11 AM   #910
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Are there any benefits being online the whole time while playing single player ?
There is one: "Darling I really can't quit the game now, it takes some 20 min. with our connection to save the game... can't you do that shopping by yourself ?"
...and you're freee!

Old 02-11-10, 09:50 AM   #911
RSColonel_131st
Medic

Downloads: 0

Piri got it.

I was hoping for the same in RoF - a game for which it is easier to explain the concept. For example, someone might shoot down a well known ace in Singleplayer, or a certain squadron might get decimated.

Next day, another single player would get an "dynamic campaign" change that reflects these things.

In theory, if you have people playing SP on both sides (like, Commanding Destroyers and Subs) you could have a pretty good "offline dynamic campaign" that is actually not randomly generated but generated by real human fights on both sides.

But alas, they didn't think that far, and since OSP will be the same platform for all UBI games, I think it highly unlikely that such game-specific features will be introduced.
Old 02-11-10, 09:51 AM   #912
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Merged sober's online benefits thread into main DRM discussion.

The Management
Old 02-11-10, 10:11 AM   #913
Apos
Mate

Downloads: 15

Well i suprised myself but i must put that info here. I found something good about DRM.

In news about Battlefield: Bad Company2's DRM i found information about 2 modes of DRMs security: Online and Offline. After online game registration we have 2 options. To run and play game in online mode, internet connection is needed only (no DVD) or offline mode, only DVD game disk is needed. So in offline mode we can plug out our internet cable

The thing is EA =/= Ubi.com but DRM = DRM?
Old 02-11-10, 10:34 AM   #914
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apos View Post
The thing is EA =/= Ubi.com but DRM = DRM?
All DRM has the same goal. Not all DRM works the same way.

Unless they've lied to us, there is no offline mode for SHV.
Old 02-11-10, 04:32 PM   #915
Orbitchicken
Swabbie

Downloads: 69

No internet connection in my new home, just found out about this 'no offline mode' and I might actually cry. Perhaps I can just make a cardboard periscope and sit in my room whilst making the odd ping noise.

I need a beer and a cigarette after this news. Can't bear to even look at my PC now, not even going to turn it on any more. Curses to those corporate muppets who came up with this nonsense!!!

I hope you guys all really enjoy it though
Closed Thread