SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-13, 09:30 PM   #1
57B
Swabbie

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0
Default torpedo doors and maintenance

i would like to know if there is a mod out there for increasing drag on the ol' type 7 when the torp doors are open as it would have in real life and unnessesrily opening the doors would decrease the reliability of torps. ie as it were known the fish were greased and serviced regularly while out on patrol; and opening these door without firing had consequences. It also made alot of noise(hydrophone) to give away position. anyway to simulate this? Is there a mod out there that the makes the skipper ensure that the fish were maintained to keep reliability. and if not how would one go to make this mod? any ideas would be helpful
57B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-13, 01:44 AM   #2
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

I don't think that there is such a mod, and it would be difficult to make...
Old 02-03-13, 03:31 AM   #3
spydar1959
Seaman

Downloads: 126
Default Sounds like an idea

I would read through some off the mods and see if there is one to increase dud chances. Look at some off TDW's work,might be something there. Or if you can figure out all the editors and what-nots, might be able to do it yourself. Have a good one
Old 02-03-13, 09:28 AM   #4
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

The only mod I know of is for the sound of the torpedo doors opening and closing. No visual mods that I know of.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-13, 11:43 AM   #5
57B
Swabbie

Wouldnt really be a visual mod but one that takes an new emersion
With maintenance. Like adding a sine curve to dud chance that resets after ordering maintenance. More or less adding an automatic script to the menu folder. But not sure where to start. This is a bit abouve my level
Old 02-03-13, 01:11 PM   #6
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

I would start reading on all mods related to torpedoes. Research TDW's patcher's option for the duds to work, etc..
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-13, 01:16 PM   #7
keysersoze
Ensign

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57B View Post
Wouldnt really be a visual mod but one that takes an new emersion
With maintenance. Like adding a sine curve to dud chance that resets after ordering maintenance. More or less adding an automatic script to the menu folder. But not sure where to start. This is a bit abouve my level
This is a great idea. I'm no modder, but I wonder if one could reconfigure the "recharge torpedoes" special ability to be a more general "perform torpedo maintenance" kind of thing. It could reduce dud percentage for all torpedoes, while still affecting the speed of the G7e electrics.

It would also add a nice sense of realism, as Hans Goebeler mentions in Steel Boats, Iron Hearts that the crew had to perform constant maintenance on their torpedoes to keep them in working order. The late-war acoustic torpedoes were especially prone to serious malfunctions like sudden short-circuits and detonations if not cared for properly.

Last edited by keysersoze; 02-03-13 at 03:57 PM.
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-13, 04:47 PM   #8
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

I'm not using TDW's patcher or Uis. But I can say that even with duds checked in Options I have only seen one torpedo actually be a dud, and that was in my last restart of the Coastal Waters campaign.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-13, 05:31 PM   #9
57B
Swabbie

HMMM, IM PRETTY SURE THAT DUD CHANCE IS IN A SIM FILE. TDW would know for sure. I think he adjusted it with his historical specs mod
Old 02-04-13, 01:36 AM   #10
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

I'm working on a torpedo malfunction mod, that tries to mimic historical values. It's to be released with the Historical Gun Specs mod, it's currently at testing stage. And the torpedoes_g7a-e.sim is the file that has all the malfunctions.
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 07:29 PM   #11
57B
Swabbie

editing the sim file is the easy part, but how to adjust the script to add conditions is where i have trouble. Can one simply add a condition to the sim file? how is this done if so? and there is no sim file for the torpedo doors, can on of these be added to? I can edit files for days but creating new ones is where i get lost in this.