SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-14, 06:02 PM   #3166
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

v1.0.163.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.163.0 added a new game file to the patcher: EnvSim.act. Added two new patches to EnvSim: wind speed allowed to be set to 0m/s and max allowable wind speed increased to 60m/s (stock game was 15m/s). NOTE: MissionEditor2 will only allow you to specify 15m/s for wind speed so you'll have to hand edit the file to attain > 15m/s wind speed
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-14, 06:06 PM   #3167
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Can someone make a video of how windspeed 60 looks in the game?
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-14, 07:37 PM   #3168
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Those patches are so needed, but I must admit, it looks like a lot of work for one person...
They are just suggestions , nothing more implied .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 01:58 AM   #3169
Gammel
Commodore

Downloads: 276

Thx for the new Patch @TDW!!

I used the TDW bullet spark mission for a little test with 40m/s

It was no fun for all parties involved.

The speedboats did self-ignite very soon.

This sounds worser as it should be for campaign.

my guess is the'd never shown up in that conditions what sounds reasonable.

Before they would get in visual range they are should be destroyed by the waves.
Esp. in combination with the additional render distance patch. I set mine now to add. 80KM around my submarine, TDW even reportet that this runs fine on his crappy AMD system.

Further I'm using dynamic environment mod with the additional gap wave mechanics.

So my boat does not go much "under the waves" it "rides" them - what i like.

Don't now if this is stock game, stock Dyn. Env. or cause off the wave mechanics addon - i like it how it is.

So thx TDW for this cool update!!

How to make the wind that strong in camapign?

Edit: sorry just saw it's "Wave Mechanics - Gale (Improved)" what i use.

Last edited by Gammel; 04-19-14 at 02:09 AM.
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 11:26 AM   #3170
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post

Starting with v1.0.163.0 added a new game file to the patcher: EnvSim.act. Added two new patches to EnvSim: wind speed allowed to be set to 0m/s and max allowable wind speed increased to 60m/s (stock game was 15m/s). NOTE: MissionEditor2 will only allow you to specify 15m/s for wind speed so you'll have to hand edit the file to attain > 15m/s wind speed
That's great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
I used the TDW bullet spark mission for a little test with 40m/s

It was no fun for all parties involved.

The speedboats did self-ignite very soon.

This sounds worser as it should be for campaign.

my guess is the'd never shown up in that conditions what sounds reasonable.

Before they would get in visual range they are should be destroyed by the waves.
Esp. in combination with the additional render distance patch. I set mine now to add. 80KM around my submarine, TDW even reportet that this runs fine on his crappy AMD system.
I expected it.

Several sea units will need their physics settings tweaked for them to handle the heavy waves brong in game by the new patch by TDW.

I could also set some new weather zones with wind ranges restricted to max 15 m/s or lesser, and use them for coastal waters, where patrol boats and small cargo vessels are more likely to occurr.

Moreover we can try to play with Waves amplitude and Waves attenuation parameters (Sim.cfg), and with FarWavesScale and FarWavesStrength parameters (SeaParameters.cfg) for avoiding that during storms ships spawning far away from player's sub sink before we could even spot them.

Last, I will have to adjust the current DynEnv weather zones, in order to allow wind speeds higher than 15 m/s in open seas (otherwise TDW's patch won't have any effect in campaign).

We should nonetheless consider that wind speeds in the 40-60 m/s range are extremely unlikely in reality. Going by the Beaufort scale, Hurricanes (i.e. Beaufrt 12, the top end of the scale) occur at wind speeds of 32.7 m/s or higher, with wave heights ≥ 14 m/s but if you look at the wave charts linked at post #2 of DynEnv's thread, the max averaged seasonal wind speeds hardly exceed 12 m/s, with a max standard deviation of about 5 m/s

Quote:
Further I'm using dynamic environment mod with the additional gap wave mechanics.

So my boat does not go much "under the waves" it "rides" them - what i like.

Don't now if this is stock game, stock Dyn. Env. or cause off the wave mechanics addon - i like it how it is.
Dynamic Environment's wave settings might need for some adjustements. I am especially concerned about realistic wave heights, lengths and speed. Wave heights at various wind speeds can be deduced directly from the Beaufort scale, whereas wave lengths and speeds can be calculated from wind speeds, using some well known formulas.

Other than that, DynEnv has little to do with the way AI/playable units ride waves: other parameters which are not affected by DynEnv (i.e. units' drag, mass, center of mass, etc.) come into consideration.

Quote:
How to make the wind that strong in camapign?
I think I have already answered your question, at least in part, when I discussed weather zones (each got its own wind speed range, varying depending on season).

There is one last aspect that I have not fully clear though: SeaParameters.cfg contains the wave settings for several wind speeds. The game interpolates automatically the settings of two contiguous wind speeds set in the cfg file, when a given wind speed comprised between the two above is not present in the said file.

Indeed, the stock SeaParameters.cfg and the versions of the same file included in Dynamic Environment (in form of different 'Wave Mechanics' submods), have 15 m/s as maximum set wind speed. That is okay for stock game, as 15 m/s is the maximum attainable wind speed anyway.

What I ignore is how the game can handle the new speeds achieved with the patch by TDW, since in the currently available cfg files there are no top end settings that can be interpolated for speeds higher than 15 m/s. In any case, I think we should create a new SeaParameters.cfg with wave settings going from 0 to 60 m/s, in steps of 5 or 10 m/s, so to be sure that the game applies the desired settings.

Last edited by gap; 04-19-14 at 11:38 AM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 12:28 PM   #3171
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Starting with v1.0.152.0 added a new patch to the SHSim.act file: Artillery (coastal defenses) and anti-aircraft units able to acquire and track contacts

- added a new patch to SHSim.exe: Coastal defense sub loops - Allows coastal defenses to detect subs that are submerged and/or in heavy fog

I'm a bit confused... Will Coastal defenses actually attack me or not? According to my test mission they won't ?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 01:12 PM   #3172
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Thank you, sir
Amazing work.. as always..

That's Ru manual for the latest version - http://www.mediafire.com/download/t6...-_v1.0.163).7z

PS: It seems the game becomes more exciting and fascinating
Maybe it's time to get back

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 11:26 PM   #3173
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Starting with v1.0.152.0 added a new patch to the SHSim.act file: Artillery (coastal defenses) and anti-aircraft units able to acquire and track contacts

- added a new patch to SHSim.exe: Coastal defense sub loops - Allows coastal defenses to detect subs that are submerged and/or in heavy fog

I'm a bit confused... Will Coastal defenses actually attack me or not? According to my test mission they won't ?
They will not attack you. I haven't been able to get their guns to go active yet. All they will do if they detect you is use their radio and inform other units as to your whereabouts.

Even though you may have this patch enabled it will not 'work' until the coastal defenses are setup to use it. Currently no coastal defenses are setup to use this patch.
Old 04-19-14, 11:28 PM   #3174
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
So, what i need to do in order to see flags following wind direction? I have latest patcher and that's it, do I need anything else?
EDIT:
Aaa, now I see...In the patcher archive, SM_Flag_Wind_Patch
A GlobalWind controller needs to be added to every flag that you want the patch to control. That means you need to edit the Flags.dat file and add this controller to every flag in it Also any item that has _FLG in it's name that you want the patch to control has to have a GlobalWind controller attached to it.
Old 04-19-14, 11:41 PM   #3175
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank2013 View Post
The field of view in sextant seems to be too narrow now.Can't measure the angle of elevation of a celestial body which is above 16 degrees.I really want to make a celestial position fix by myself.Is there any way to fix that in your MOD?
The above was taken from my NewUIs thread. It's better to reply to it here.

Currently you can't use the Sextant at any higher angles of elevation. I have been working on this for the past 3 days and have finally figured out a way to let you measure ANY angles of elevation with the Sextant

The way the Sextant is going to work will be changing here soon when I revise the Stadimeter as Sextant patch. What will be changing is you'll be able to pitch the sextant up much higher - all the way to 75 degrees. The patch will keep track of the camera's (Sextant) pitch angle and will add this value to any value you measure (using the Stadimeter as sextant). Confused?

Let's say you have a heavenly body at 68 degrees of elevation from the waterline. You place the sextant just below the heavenly body you want to measure. Let's say that angle is 60 degrees. You then press the Stadimeter button to activate the Sextant measuring. You place the second line on the heavenly body and press the left mouse button to record the measurement and it comes out to be 8 degrees. The navigator will take the base measurement (60 degrees from the waterline) and add it to the Sextant measurement (8 degrees) thus giving the true angle from the waterline (68 degrees)

Now theoretically you could just move the sextant right onto the heavenly body and read the measurement. The only problem with doing this is you lose precision. By pressing the stadimeter button you can press and hold Ctrl while moving the sextant to get better precision

If this still doesn't make sense then it will when you go to use the Sextant with the revised Stadimeter as Sextant patch.
Old 04-20-14, 05:24 AM   #3176
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:

Currently you can't use the Sextant at any higher angles of elevation. I have been working on this for the past 3 days and have finally figured out a way to let you measure ANY angles of elevation with the Sextant

The way the Sextant is going to work will be changing here soon when I revise the Stadimeter as Sextant patch. What will be changing is you'll be able to pitch the sextant up much higher - all the way to 75 degrees. The patch will keep track of the camera's (Sextant) pitch angle and will add this value to any value you measure (using the Stadimeter as sextant). Confused?

Let's say you have a heavenly body at 68 degrees of elevation from the waterline. You place the sextant just below the heavenly body you want to measure. Let's say that angle is 60 degrees. You then press the Stadimeter button to activate the Sextant measuring. You place the second line on the heavenly body and press the left mouse button to record the measurement and it comes out to be 8 degrees. The navigator will take the base measurement (60 degrees from the waterline) and add it to the Sextant measurement (8 degrees) thus giving the true angle from the waterline (68 degrees)

Now theoretically you could just move the sextant right onto the heavenly body and read the measurement. The only problem with doing this is you lose precision. By pressing the stadimeter button you can press and hold Ctrl while moving the sextant to get better precision

If this still doesn't make sense then it will when you go to use the Sextant with the revised Stadimeter as Sextant patch.
thx TDW
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 06:24 AM   #3177
Frank2013
Nub

Downloads: 148
Quote:

That would be great.Thanks for your hard work!
Frank2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 07:02 AM   #3178
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Maybe it's time to get back

Please do!
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 09:38 AM   #3179
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:

You're transforming this game into real simulation...
Old 04-20-14, 09:57 AM   #3180
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
4. Periscope-Fix
Periscopes nearly useless for higher speeds, since blur effect simulates periscopes vibrations. At higher speeds, periscopes are moved down automatically.
One idea...
TDW, you developed before similar patch which will prevent high underwater speed with raised snorkel...
Could you apply same principle for periscopes and limit submarine speed to something like 3-4 knots, without much to work on ? That would be rally cool, I've been waiting this fix for ages now...

Last edited by vdr1981; 04-20-14 at 03:16 PM.