SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-16, 09:14 AM   #871
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
I will agree with Cdrsubron7. Max's ships are wonderful!!
Pure eye candy !!

Billy.
Careful, Billy. Doing things like that could get you in trouble.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 10:27 AM   #872
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Careful, Billy. Doing things like that could get you in trouble.
Like my grandmother used to say:

"Show me your friends to tell you what you are"

Old 07-24-16, 10:58 AM   #873
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Like my grandmother used to say:

"Show me your friends to tell you what you are"

Your grandmother sounds like a wise lady.

Old 07-24-16, 03:54 PM   #874
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I wouldn't use the TMOKeys. Some of what Ducimus did I also did (there's only so much you can do before it gets repetitious). My opinion, my set up is better....(no big surprise!!) You've got a KEYBOARD LAYOUT.jpg and a Reference Card.jpg plus the Help key (F1) that all relate to my keyboard setup.
A LIKELY story...... Looks like I'll have to check it out. You have one key access to the attack map? That's why I use TMOKeys. Seems Ducimus was the only person other than myself who appreciated and understood the attack map.

Quote:
This brings me to ask, What resolution does everyone use when playing your game?? I just finished the 1500 yd 1920x resolution Bearing Tool. Would it be better to use this Bearing Tool for the subs, or just have the default 1024x Bearing Tool in FOTRS, with the others as a separate group of mods?
I'd say since MadMax used the 1500 yard bearing tool that should be in the core mod with plug in 3000 yard bearing tools. I play in 1600x900 full screen or a 1152x864 window. When I'm playing in a window I can click outside the window and not get the alt-tab foolishness SH4 is known for.

==================

Quote:
As far as the Sounds in FOTRS I've been working on them from the aspect of what I've heard in the Museum. Getting the planes to have a lower volume, raising up many of the ships......Changing some to what I think are better. I'm not getting into the Creaks sounds.....that's been some of you other guys work, I'll not be getting into it. If someone has other ideas about sounds like the submarine specific sounds, go for it. I'll not get into any changes there. I can change the crew cheering sound if no one else is doing it.

Lastly, if there is anything that doesn't seem right, or you just don't like what I've done, let me know. I can change something without trouble or put something in as requested. Won't bother me at all!
I think you're dead on the mark with sounds. Any substitutions probably should be a plugin mod if they're really obvious. If they are subtle changes or changes in format for compatibility sake then we can put them in the core mod. Groaner stuff like the crew shouting to shut down the diesels and prepare to dive when you're at radar depth and diving can go either way. I think we can make a case that Maddy wouldn't have left it ridiculous if he was on the ball.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 07:03 PM   #875
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I think we can make a case that Maddy wouldn't have left it ridiculous if he was on the ball.
No comment.
Old 07-24-16, 07:29 PM   #876
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
You have one key access to the attack map?
Yes, the F6.....how many more do you want for the keyboard???

If you want a Command Button along the bottom of the tray (You mean there isn't one?), I can do that. The only Command Button I added to the FOTRS Command Button group was a button for selecting a Radar Range Toggle......the rest is how FOTRS had them......EXCEPT for correcting the A-Scope Button going to the PPI screen / the PPI Button went to the A-Scope (thought no one would mind me FIXING things while I'm in there?).

Quote:
I'd say since MadMax used the 1500 yard bearing tool that should be in the core mod with plug in 3000 yard bearing tools. I play in 1600x900 full screen or a 1152x864 window.
The Bearing Tool should read correct range, as well as Relative Bearing of the sub. I'm asking what guys use so I can add a Bearing Tool that reads correctly for whatever resolution is most used. I put a 1024x tool in the Optical Correction_Interior addition. The only ones who will use the tool as intended are those using the 1024x res. Since everyone uses different resolutions......yes a stand alone mod for correcting the range at 1500 yards is going to be needed for the various res. Why the 1500 yard size instead of the 3000 yard mods.......pure memory usage. The 1920x 3000 yard Bearing Tool uses 46Mb of memory to display, the 1920x 1500 yard Bearing Tool uses less than half that. Just trying to be economical with a mod that's already tipping the scales at 30% larger than the game itself.

As far as the sounds, I've got the stock phrase "Torpedo Impact" back into the nine different voices. I'd like to fix the voice Phrase for the "Ahead Slow" to "Ahead Two-Thirds" and that's it for the phrases. Some of the other sounds are getting a face lift for better playability.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 07-24-16 at 07:39 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 09:30 PM   #877
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Ok, I now have 15 single missions ready to upload to our super secret storage area. That will probably happen sometime tomorrow as it's getting kinda late now. Nine of these missions are Kido Butai related. These Kido Butai missions don't all contain all elements of the Mobile Striking Force but they should keep your interest. Below you will find the names of the missions, the sub class involved and whether they are Kido Butai missions or not. I know that you guys are all involved in working on other parts of the project, but if you have some time and can give them a try I would greatly appreciate you taking a minute or two and tell me what you think of them. All the missions will be in JSGME form. Below is the listing of the missions.

Good Luck and Good Hunting to you all.

Appari Bound - Sub class: S-18

Bungo Suido - Sub class: Tambor Kido Butai

Happenstance - Sub class: Sargo Kido Buitai

Heading To Palau - Sub Class: Gar Kido Butai

IJN Oil - Sub class: Gato

Indian Ocean Foray - Sub class: Sargo Kido Butai

Joining Up - Sub class: Salmon Kido Butai

Leaving Palau - Sub class: Salmon Kido Butai

Maximum Effort - Sub class: Tambor

Northward Bound - Sub class: Balao

On The Move - Sub class: Tambor Kido Butai

Rabaul - Sub class: S-42

Ryukaku Run - Sub class: Balao

Staring Bay - Sub class: Salmon Kido Butai

Wake - Sub class: Tambor Kido Butai

Well, that's about it for me tonight. I'm gonna go watch some "Run Silent, Run Deep" on the tube and then it's nighty nite for this old man.

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 07-24-16 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 10:08 PM   #878
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
... As far as the Sounds in FOTRS I've been working on them from the aspect of what I've heard in the Museum. Getting the planes to have a lower volume, raising up many of the ships......Changing some to what I think are better. I'm not getting into the Creaks sounds.....that's been some of you other guys work, I'll not be getting into it. If someone has other ideas about sounds like the submarine specific sounds, go for it. I'll not get into any changes there. I can change the crew cheering sound if no one else is doing it...
How are you adjusting those sounds for the Museum, CapnScurvy? Is there a "Museum Sound" controller? If they have one, that would be the best way to control sound level in the Museum. The Sh.sdl file has levels set for the game, if I'm understanding the "layout" of how the devs built the game and use that file. So far, I've found 64 "non-compliant" wave audio files in FotRS 2, as compared to "stock". I wasn't going to change any levels on those files, just change the sample rate, bit-depth, number of channels used, etc., and trim to length, in order to "comply" with "emulate stock". There are not many "Ship" sounds that have troubles. See my list below.

As for the voice ogg files, I haven't even started on those, and if you could do them, and eliminate the excessive cheering, fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
... I think you're dead on the mark with sounds. Any substitutions probably should be a plugin mod if they're really obvious. If they are subtle changes or changes in format for compatibility sake then we can put them in the core mod. Groaner stuff like the crew shouting to shut down the diesels and prepare to dive when you're at radar depth and diving can go either way. I think we can make a case that Maddy wouldn't have left it ridiculous if he was on the ball.
Most of those files that have the "inappropriate vernacular" for diving are too long anyway, to comply with "emulate stock", and are most likely future audio problems waiting in the wings. What my idea for the "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition" mod is to just have the Creaks-And_Crash_Fix as part of the mod, with slightly different files than what are in there now, using ONLY AOTD_Max's sounds, including the verbiage of the "Dive!" sequence. All other changes to vernacular, sample rates, etc., would be an add-in mod - UNLESS - you all happen to think that making all the files below to comply should be part of the "base" mod, in which case, the editing would "fix" that vernacular (the numbering is from a notes file of mine):

6. Submarine_diving.wav
7. Aircraft Carrier_hyd.wav
8. amb_OceanSkyline.wav
9. amb_OceanSkylineLight.wav
10. amb_SubmarineInterior.wav
11. amb_Underwater.wav
12. amb_Wind1.wav
13. B-24 airplane damaged 2.wav
14. B6N2 airplane.wav
15. Cargo_hyd.wav
16. Catalina airplane damaged.wav
17. Collision_AntiSubmarineNet_ext.wav
18. Corsair airplane.wav
19. Corvette.wav
20. Corvette_hyd.wav
21. Corvette_mix.wav
22. Destroyer_hyd.wav
23. ****ewulf190 airplane.wav
24. Ju52 airplane.wav
25. JU87Stuka airplane.wav
26. Liberty Ship Engine.wav
27. Liberty_hyd.wav
28. Liberty_mix.wav
29. NakajimaKi44 airplane.wav
30. NF_boat.wav
31. NF_boat_hyd.wav
32. NPT_hyd.wav
33. Old_Diesel_Engine.wav
34. P06#Splinter_explosion_hyd.wav
35. P10_#Shell_fire_explosion.wav
36. P10_#Shell_fire_explosion_hyd.wav
37. P16#oil_explosion.wav
38. P16#oil_explosion_hyd.wav
39. P25#Dust_underwater.wav
40. P25#Dust_underwater_hyd.wav
41. periscope_UpDown.wav
42. Propeller_4_hyd.wav
43. Propeller_5_hyd.wav
44. Scufundare vapor.wav
45. Scufundare vapor_hyd.wav
46. Ship_Alarm_EXT.wav
47. Short Sunderland airplane damaged.wav
48. Short Sunderland airplane.wav
49. Sonar.wav
50. Sub_Sinking.wav
51. Submarine propellers 2.wav
52. Submarine waves lap.wav
53. Submarine waves lap3.wav
54. Submarine_diesel_exterior4.wav
55. Submarine_diesel_underwater.wav
56. Submarine_DiveAlarm_INT.wav
57. Submarine_EmergencyBlow_INT.wav
58. Submarine_GQ_battle_stations_INT.wav
59. Submarine_GQ_secure_battle_stations_INT.wav
60. Submarine_Surface_INT.wav
61. Submarine_surfacing.wav
62. Submarine_surfacing3.wav
63. Swordfish Torpedo Bi-Plane.wav
64. Torpedo_Tubes.wav

There is no evidence yet that any of the above mentioned files cause any trouble (yet). They are either too long time-wise (about a third of them), or have a bit-rate mis-match with stock (about a third of them), or have some other issues, such as being a "stereo" file where stock has "mono". That sort of thing. I still have found no empirical evidence of the radar contact issues some of us have experienced. I've only gotten it to happen maybe three times myself, and I cannot get the process to repeat consistantly.

The original "fix" for the CrashDive sequence gets rid of "The Sound", and shortening the "Creaks" files gets rid of most occurrences of "The Click", or whatever we'd want to call most of the other issues...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 11:00 PM   #879
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
Just use the sounds from the "Pack" to your taste, which you need to fix some bugs ...
I'll use (and credit as appropriately) your files for those fixes then, and also include some of the ones of yours that are not part of FotRS v2 in a future sound mod then. Thanks.

Quote:
(Again...) ... What resolution does everyone use when playing your game?? ...
Most of the time, I'm doing 1024x768 4:3, but I also use 1152x864 4:3 Windowed and 1280x960 4:3 full- screen. My LCD monitor is quite aged, like me, and only does 1280x1024 for Windows anyway. I do find it difficult at times to get a resolution that works correctly in the game, so that all parts of the game display correctly, especially the Recognition Manual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
All hands man your battlestations
800 Razz Dazz FOTRSU v0.2 is now available in the WIP section ...
Done...

Quote:
Ok, I now have 15 single missions ready to upload to our super secret storage area. That will probably happen sometime tomorrow ...
Waiting, baited breath...

Old 07-24-16, 11:35 PM   #880
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Guess I wasn't tired as I thought. The single missions have now been uploaded to our super secret storage area. They are in the WIP folder and labeled FOTRS Single Missions.

Good Luck and Good Hunting all.

Old 07-25-16, 12:32 AM   #881
propbeanie

I'll just go get those *now* then, and try them out first thing tomorrow.

I have a question though: Has anyone noticed a total lack of lifeboats in some of your encounters? Is there a setting for those in a ships "description" in their respective data files? I've not been paying much attention to such, but the last couple encounters, I did notice that, so I added in Websters Real Lifeboats Fix, which seemed to take just fine, but I did not notice a difference in the next Single Mission I just did. No lifeboats, but I do NOT know what I sank, since I was too busy trying to get away (I failed), but I sank two merchants and a light cruiser. When I did an external camera, all sorts of the usual SH4 debris, but nothing bobbing in the water with signs of cartoon life... Never thought to save the game, but I guess I'll start watching closer as to what I do encounter and then sink, and for "signs of survivors"...

Old 07-25-16, 01:37 AM   #882
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Guess I wasn't tired as I thought. The single missions have now been uploaded to our super secret storage area. They are in the WIP folder and labeled FOTRS Single Missions.

Good Luck and Good Hunting all.
THANK YOU Commander!

Yeah!! Nice time sighted ahead!

History repeats itself. 15 single missions from the Master mission maker. This time for SH4 with Kido Butai at all its glory, and not only.

I have a mission request, but I want to give you more details and historical facts. I'll inform you when I'm ready.

For now, I'm finishing the "Ship Acceleration Model". I'm in the final stage, it will be released for team evaluation in the next few days. That will give a great deal of realism in the mod since the ships will not any longer have Ferrari acceleration characteristics, their tonnage matters now.

Thanks again Commander.

Cheers,
Billy.
Old 07-25-16, 03:57 AM   #883
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105
Default Teleportation Curser

Saw this mentioned in another thread and Rockin Robin was interested in including into FOTRS. Not sure if was discussed already, hope this helps in chasing mods or developments.

Stops wandering curser
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=436

Fith
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 06:31 AM   #884
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'll just go get those *now* then, and try them out first thing tomorrow.

I have a question though: Has anyone noticed a total lack of lifeboats in some of your encounters? Is there a setting for those in a ships "description" in their respective data files? I've not been paying much attention to such, but the last couple encounters, I did notice that, so I added in Websters Real Lifeboats Fix, which seemed to take just fine, but I did not notice a difference in the next Single Mission I just did. No lifeboats, but I do NOT know what I sank, since I was too busy trying to get away (I failed), but I sank two merchants and a light cruiser. When I did an external camera, all sorts of the usual SH4 debris, but nothing bobbing in the water with signs of cartoon life... Never thought to save the game, but I guess I'll start watching closer as to what I do encounter and then sink, and for "signs of survivors"...
If you look at the \DATA\SEA folder, you'll see all of the ships. Entering one's folder, you'll find a [ship name].CFG file. It's a text file. Inside it you'll find the:

SurvivalRate
SurvivalPrecentage

Try editing these two fields, I think that's the key to more crew members surviving after abandoning ship. Webster's Real Lifeboat Fix reduces the lifeboat speed. I'm not sure if it enables more crewmembers to survive, but if it does, it covers only the stock ships.

Regards,
Billy.
Old 07-25-16, 07:37 AM   #885
propbeanie

Quote:
If you look at the \DATA\SEA folder, you'll see all of the ships. Entering one's folder, you'll find a [ship name].CFG file. It's a text file. Inside it you'll find the:

SurvivalRate
SurvivalPrecentage

Try editing these two fields, I think that's the key to more crew members surviving after abandoning ship. Webster's Real Lifeboat Fix reduces the lifeboat speed. I'm not sure if it enables more crewmembers to survive, but if it does, it covers only the stock ships.

Regards,
Billy.
Thanks Billy. I haven't looked at the survival rates. I didn't think there'd be anything in there like that. I just assumed there was something that maybe tracked the amount of hit points received in a given time decided the survival rate of the crew, not something set in sea water...

I just finished - or should I say: "They just finished me... off" in cdsubron7's "Appari Bound" Single Mission... I got one transport, and damaged a second, that limped-off doing about 2-3 knots last I saw them. The next forty-two (!!!?!???!!??) minutes were spent listening to straight-dropped and side-thrown depth charges from the 2 DD escorts. Either they have super ears, or they are "Elite"... - An S boat can't go as deep as they sent me, and survive... My mistake was in coming back up to do a second attack on the cripple... Sneaky devils, sitting there watching and waiting. The one DD I saw, or should I say "saw the side of - up CLOSE" blocking my view, was definitely weather-beaten and rusty. I got a good look through the periscope at the skinning done on that dude S-boats don't move fast enough forward, nor up-to-down to get away from that... I was ~maybe~ at 115 when a can from the 2nd DD landed on the deck and exploded. No lifeboats needed for me and my crew. We went down, and fast! Total playtime: about an hour and a half. Quality of playtime: priceless.