SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-17, 03:03 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Rescuing survivors question

Part of my RSRD upgrade, I would like to include rescue missions to campaign including a fleet boat ran aground on a reef(Representing USS Darter, already added)). Would like to put some life rafts nearby and give player ability to "rescue" those in rafts as you can a downed aviator. Is this possible? What files? Also, would like to make it where can rescue enemy aviators and lift rafts as well, it did happen often during the war.

Would change things up a bit. Thanks in advance.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 05:42 AM   #2
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

As far as I know, you can not save enemy pilots.
You could, however, take over Traveller's idea with the rescue of a PBY crew stranded on the sea.
You will find the necessary components in the Traveller Mod.

I myself just check the usability of Traveller`s observation and radar post in my pack.
However, I still do not understand why he had the values in the AI_Sensors so utopian high - I guess for gameplay reasons.
Old 06-23-17, 06:37 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Nothing fancy, the usual suspects:

In your MIS file, just add-in "SV-Survivor" and "LR-Liferaft" to suit. They can be re-named, as you can see... remember though, they each have a speed setting, so set that and the first waypoint to what you want.

This is a situation where you could have the "units" spawn into the game "early". Make a "map zone" that surrounds them, say at 36km radius (or more - has to be bigger than the "spawn" area of the "assets"). Add a trigger for when your boat crosses into the map zone, and add an Event with that trigger you created setting it off, and then "spawn" the units in. The grounding happened October 24, 1944, so you'd set the date of the MIS file to that (this is put in the PatrolObjectives folder, unless you want a SM for it also). Set the LR and SV items to enter the game like on December 1, 1944. In the MIS file when using the Update Instance field, you'll see the "GameEntryDate=" field set to your MIS date ("19441024"), but this is when that "AvailStartDate=" is used, and it will show up then as "19441244". This allows the "Event" to update the "GameEntryDate" (and time) to when you cross the line and set off the "Event". The units spawn, and they've not drifted too far off by the time you get there...

Setting the trigger up

Setting the event up

A few things to remember:
1. You cannot pickup the liferafts themselves.
2. The game's liferaft "contents" are already set. You'll not be able to "rescue" anybody left in them
3. The liferafts are very unstable, and even using the "Spawn in" like this, they might all be gone by the time you get there.
4. You'll have to set this to a "Life Guard" overall objective, and you can't set that until you have the "assets" set into the game.
5. Since it's "Life Guard", your sailors will show up as "Aviator" survivors, and get picked up one by one. It can get tedious fast.
6. A late add-in! - Don't forget to allow your "rescue boat" room to maneuver... wouldn't want another one run aground!
7. An even later add-in!!! - You cannot use RGG for the "spawn" groups. They have to be regular "Units"...

I'd make something up like a message that displays and says to the effect: "The Dace has already picked most of the survivors up, but there are six men left for you to get x " or something to that effect... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-23-17 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Don't run aground yourself! Wow, talk about late!
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 01:18 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Thanks. This is helpful for sure. I havent really used triggers and events in my work for , just took Lurker's route and used timing, speed etc to make sure things are where supposed to be at so and so date. Example, I added the submarine Gudgeon sank on 27 January 1942 west of Midway. I was en route to Midway for refuel otw to Pearl after a patrol, morning of January 28 deck watch spotted the sub, it spotted us first and starting using deck gun. Sub was out of torpedoes so ordered a crash dive and got away.

I take it there is not a way change things it so can highlight as do a survivor and order them picked up, would add to things. I was thinking perhaps taking a life raft, renaming it and classifying it as a type 106 "survivor" would make it possible. Lifeboat stability is solve. Webster's lifeboat fix works great.Also, the Improved Ships physics mod, I use the sim and cfg files in all the ships included, solved the jack rabbit acceleration of most ships and the lifeboats.

Always felt this and not being able to rescue enemy survivors is a real foul up on the dev's part.

Update: I created a a new vessel type 106(survivor) listed as "Inflatable Liferaft" . Added to roster etc, all is well so far, no error messages. Going to test soon and see if when in game, can rescue it like a downed aviator since classified as a survivor. Hopefully so, as itll make things interesting when rescuing others.

I have trouble getting single missions to show up though. I always end up having to do my testing in campaign which I prefer to make sure things show up but it is time consuming when need to quickly test things like this. Any advice?

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 06-23-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 03:32 PM   #5
propbeanie

This would be an addition to the Patrol Objectives folder (like DarterRescue.mis & tsr in a DarterRescue folder). It doesn't have to be assigned to anybody. Just use the DynamicMiss.cfg to "link" to it. If a player is within 500km (or whatever distance you want to use) and they "phone home" with a Status Update, then they'd get assigned the mission. The mission's main Objective would be "Life Guard Duty", but it wouldn't trigger the Survivors or Life Rafts until you get within the Map Zone, which has the trigger attached, that "triggers" the "Instance Update" to "Spawn" them. That way, they're not drifting all over the ocean making for an impossible to fulfill mission. In the DynamicMiss.cfg you would add

[Section 222] ; or whatever your next number is
FileName=Data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/DarterRescue/DarterRescue.mis
StartDate=19441024
EndDate=19441030
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
EntryFocalPointLong=17006484.000000 ; comes from your mission
EntryFocalPointLat=3236390.000000 ;comes from your mission
MaximumDistanceFromStartPoint=1500 ; how far away the player is from there
ExclusiveLayer=Yes
ExclusiveLayerID=302 ; sequential number set to after your last entry's number
EvaluationReason=StatusReport
AllMatch=PrimaryObjCompleted
PartialMatch=
PartialMatchingMinimumPercentage=
MinimumFuelPercentage=35
MinimumAmmoPercentage=25

You should be able to use the center mark of your Map Zone as the FocalPoint numbers. You could have a message set to go off late on the 24th and interrupt game play to inform the player of the incident, and that help is needed, and for them to please check-in with headquarters... ??

Old 06-23-17, 06:05 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
This would be an addition to the Patrol Objectives folder (like DarterRescue.mis & tsr in a DarterRescue folder). It doesn't have to be assigned to anybody. Just use the DynamicMiss.cfg to "link" to it. If a player is within 500km (or whatever distance you want to use) and they "phone home" with a Status Update, then they'd get assigned the mission. The mission's main Objective would be "Life Guard Duty", but it wouldn't trigger the Survivors or Life Rafts until you get within the Map Zone, which has the trigger attached, that "triggers" the "Instance Update" to "Spawn" them. That way, they're not drifting all over the ocean making for an impossible to fulfill mission. In the DynamicMiss.cfg you would add

[Section 222] ; or whatever your next number is
FileName=Data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/DarterRescue/DarterRescue.mis
StartDate=19441024
EndDate=19441030
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
EntryFocalPointLong=17006484.000000 ; comes from your mission
EntryFocalPointLat=3236390.000000 ;comes from your mission
MaximumDistanceFromStartPoint=1500 ; how far away the player is from there
ExclusiveLayer=Yes
ExclusiveLayerID=302 ; sequential number set to after your last entry's number
EvaluationReason=StatusReport
AllMatch=PrimaryObjCompleted
PartialMatch=
PartialMatchingMinimumPercentage=
MinimumFuelPercentage=35
MinimumAmmoPercentage=25

You should be able to use the center mark of your Map Zone as the FocalPoint numbers. You could have a message set to go off late on the 24th and interrupt game play to inform the player of the incident, and that help is needed, and for them to please check-in with headquarters... ??

Thanks for the info, always helpful. GREAT NEWS. Life rafts can now be rescued. I simply reclassified liferaft as a survivor type 106 and named it "inflatable life raft" . Added to roster etc. Placed in , when I encountered them, placed binoculars on them, the "lifering" on the orders bar highlighted, I ordered a rescue, the liferaft disappeared.

Downside is crew spots them and reports them as "friendly aviators". Ah well. Pretty happy.
Old 06-23-17, 07:06 PM   #7
propbeanie

I'm wondering about "cloning" the life raft and survivors then, and make them "Navy personnel" or something similar... Make another life raft for the "Aviators", and keep the regular life raft then for your sunk ships to use... They do get called when a US ship sinks, and if its not there... might get a CTD, I dunno... never tried that to find out. Might be fun...

Old 06-23-17, 07:26 PM   #8
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Life rafts can now be rescued.
Is this just friendlies, or can we take prisoners after sinking an enemy ship?
Old 06-23-17, 07:46 PM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Is this just friendlies, or can we take prisoners after sinking an enemy ship?
Just friendlies far as I know. Never have been able to get it to allow picking up enemies. Hoping someone knows a trick to do so.
Old 06-23-17, 09:36 PM   #10
propbeanie

I might have to try an experiment - from a fictitious mission: "COMMANDER = THERE ARE APPROXIMATELY 10 JAPANESE SAILORS FROM THE I-292 SINKING STUCK ON A REEF X SEE IF YOU CAN CONVINCE ANY OF THEM TO GET INTO YOUR BOAT BEFORE THEY FLAIL THEMSELVES TO DEATH TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM YOU X BE FOREWARNED - THEY HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO ATTEMPT SABOTAGE AFTER CAPTURE X "

It would have to be like a Life Guard mission, but instead of using the US roster, you'd use the Japanese Roster... You cannot set the Objective though, until the "assets" are placed. I'll be back in a bit...

Preliminarily, it's taking the Japanese Survivors and Life Rafts as valid "assets" to be able to set the Objective... I dunno if it'll play though. I'd forgotten how complicated it is to do one of these as a Single Mission... might take me a while...

Much later edit: While the mission will look like it's OK, and it loads and does play, no issue- and the submarine hung on the rocks shows, as does the life rafts... The "Survivors" are not to be found... I've tried several set-ups on it, and I've come in at All Ahead Flank to minimize the time from the "trip" to render them till the time I can arrive, which is next to nothing, and there's still no "Survivors" to be found... They might be out there, they just don't have the same "surroundings" as the US Aviators, with their fluorescent pink fires and sonar traces. I've found and run over the life raft twice now, but no one has been in it... I might try some more, but probably a "fail", like several of the other "tests" I've done today...

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-23-17 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Three hours later...
Old 06-24-17, 12:07 AM   #11
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Nice. So I got the Darter to show up in correct position, as well as the rafts. I tried to do it without the event and trigger, just set their entry time etc to e historically accurate. A message is sent out at 0100(works fine in the campaign) .

Problem is when I arrived 9 hours later the lift rafts were empty, seas had grown choppy. Was still abel to rescue the rafts though lo

Second problem is the Gato class boat I had representing the Darter. I chose the "Gato Class Submarine" from the list. October 1944 unit version.For some reason it has a rear mounted deck gun . Big issue is its indestructible. I'm not sure if its because of my incorporating Traveller's damage model for player subs, where hull is basically not vulnerable, the equipment such as bulkheads, along with the zones, flooding causes boat to sink below crush depth. A torpedo hit will destroy bulkheads etc but not send hull damage, no instant death. Downside, is even 50 deck gun hits and four torpedoes barely left a scratch lol. Part of the mission is to scuttle Darter after the rescue.

or it's the weird bug where non player non AI subs are not destructible, as the docked IJN sent toku and midget subs would find in stock once were.

Thinking ill have to copy a Gato and rename it USS Darter, add to roster just for this. Will definitely have to work in the whole trigger and event, dont want empty rafts when show up to rescue.

Third issue is if scuttling Darter, how to not lose your career for sinking a friendly sub? Know how to make so dont lose career for sinking friendly vessels?
Old 06-24-17, 12:20 AM   #12
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Third issue is if scuttling Darter, how to not lose your career for sinking a friendly sub?
Make it an enemy?
If it's not possible to damage the sub, can you make it an enemy surface vessel? Unarmed, of course, so it can't fire on you.

I recall there was a mod that provided some sort of shore targets that could be destroyed. I don't recall what that was, but it might give you an angle to approach this from.
Old 06-24-17, 01:33 AM   #13
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Make it an enemy?
If it's not possible to damage the sub, can you make it an enemy surface vessel? Unarmed, of course, so it can't fire on you.

I recall there was a mod that provided some sort of shore targets that could be destroyed. I don't recall what that was, but it might give you an angle to approach this from.

I'm trying it a type 203 environmental sub. Copied the AI fleet boat. its destructible. Will see if counts as sinking a friendly or not.
Old 06-24-17, 03:41 AM   #14
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Second problem is the Gato class boat I had representing the Darter. I chose the "Gato Class Submarine" from the list. October 1944 unit version.For some reason it has a rear mounted deck gun . Big issue is its indestructible. I'm not sure if its because of my incorporating Traveller's damage model for player subs, where hull is basically not vulnerable, the equipment such as bulkheads, along with the zones, flooding causes boat to sink below crush depth. A torpedo hit will destroy bulkheads etc but not send hull damage, no instant death. Downside, is even 50 deck gun hits and four torpedoes barely left a scratch lol. Part of the mission is to scuttle Darter after the rescue.
I would do without Traveler's damage model for the submarines.
In my opinion, he has gone the wrong way in this case, the damage model of TMO refined by LST by Bilge_Rat is already well balanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
Traveller had sometimes implemented very good ideas in his mod.
However, he had also exaggerated a lot... or went the wrong way.
As an example - one does not need to modify the damage model of the subs of TMO.
This is revealed to the player / tester, if the enemy can suddenly shoot accurately. Then the boat is destroyed within 1-2 minutes by 25mm flak.
Old 06-24-17, 03:57 AM   #15
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
I would do without Traveler's damage model for the submarines.
In my opinion, he has gone the wrong way in this case, the damage model of TMO refined by LST by Bilge_Rat is already well balanced.

I liked bilge's LST but They always seemed to go down by the bow no matter where hit them.

I really like the sub damage model. Can sit on the bottom if needed( as should be) and no instant death blows. Intense depth charging, equipment actually gets damaged but hull damage doesnt jump to 100, that was always a bit ridiculous. I did have to strengthen the rudder, shafts etc . downside is your hull is a tank so if get hit by a errant torpedo etc, doesnt have the effect. Like always its a balancing act.

Only thing in game I know can destroy the hullright now are mines(my mine mod) and going below crush depth.

the zones file is confusing to edit so trying to figure things out.

Sub damage is pretty great, but the shipping need improvement. Large vessels like BB's sink way too fast.