SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-17, 10:36 AM   #1
p.jakub88
Gunner

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 1
Default Recommended mods for Silent Hunter 4 1.4 version?

Hello everyone,

i recently started playing Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific the 1.4 patched version.

I have only Pacific Environments 4 mod enabled via JGSME.

Are they any other mods that i should try?

I noticed, that some mods are working only with 1.5 patched version (with U-boat expansion).

Thank You in advance for the reply!

Jakub

Last edited by p.jakub88; 06-08-17 at 11:12 AM.
p.jakub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 11:19 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The SH4 v1.4 limits the mods available for your use. If I'm remembering correctly, Sniper297 still uses v1.4 quite a bit, and may have more info than I do. I'm also not too sure about how many mods for v1.4 there are on the SubSim site... You might have to go on a web hunt for some of them. I do not have links for most of what's below...

Trigger Maru Overhauled (TMO) is probably the most "famous" mod, and I ~think~ it was v1.7 that was the last version that ran on v1.4. There's a "patch" for that also.

Run Silent Run Deep Campaign (RSRDC) v350 (??), and it's associated TMO & RFB versions and patches...

Real Fleet Boats stayed with the "v1.4" designation with the game's version number. There was a "fix" patch for it...

And there's TMOwTw, which is TMO with Training wheels, which I think followed the TMO number sequencing...

There isn't a GFO (Game Fixes Only) mod for v1.4, but you could string a lot of Webster's mods that are compatible with v1.4 together and make a sort-of one... That link is for a Search on "Webster", so there are hits on mods that aren't his. Read.

... And I'm sort of partial to Fall of the Rising Sun. I cannot find the earlier version that is in the English language and compatible with v1.4 Silent Hunter, but I'm thinking it was v1.1 that had a couple of versions. Versions 1.2 and 1.3 were for SH4 v1.5 UBM, then they went back to Silent Hunter v1.4 with Fall of the Rising Sun v2.0. It is beautiful to look at, and tougher than TMO to play. Its only language is German. If you can deal with that, it is really a cool game. It will crash on you though at times.

Beyond that, I do recommend that you get yourself a copy of the "Add-On" U-Boats Missions (usually about $10US), which is v1.5, preferably a disk, but the download sites work fine, other than don't get the Steam version unless you have the Steam version of the "base" game. You can keep a separate SH4 v1.4 install in one folder, and update another install to v1.5 until you get used to it, but using the v1.5 opens the use of all the newer mods to you, some of which are still being developed and tweaked, such as Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, Ralles RealModSoup, besides what Bubblehead1980 is working on... to top all that off, keltos01 is working on a Japanese Campaign where a person can drive Japanese submarines basically around the world. That cannot be done in v1.4...

And really, a person should acquaint themself with Rockin Robbins' Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System, MultiSH4 v1.5 and CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install write-up. All basically "mandatory" with today's modern computer systems...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-08-17 at 11:27 AM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 12:36 PM   #3
p.jakub88
Gunner

Thank for Your quick reply!

I will download and install some of the mods You recommended.

Do You know maybe, if the Trigger Maru Overhauled mod is compatible with Pacific Environments 4 mod?
Old 06-08-17, 04:51 PM   #4
propbeanie

No, I don't know. It's been a ~long~ time since I tried to make my own "soup mix" for v1.4... There might be something in the ReadMe files for the mods, but TMO does have its own environment mod in the package. If you haven't done any modding yet, see if that SH4CMS can help. I'm not sure it will work with a v1.4 game though, come to think of it... If it doesn't, you can do similar by making a backup copy of your game install by using 7zip or some other archive manager, and just zip the "stock" install up and put it somewhere safe. That way, if something does happen to the "base" game from modding, you've got a fallback option. Also, that MultiSH4 will let you have multiple installs of SH4 active on the same machine (just copy the game folder again and rename it for use elsewhere), each with their own "Save" folder. You just have to be careful of which "version" of the game you're running. See the MultiSH4 documentation, and there might be a thread on SubSim here about setting things up... Oh, wait, read about in RR's SH4CMS... besides, if things mess up, it's only software...

Old 06-08-17, 05:33 PM   #5
p.jakub88
Gunner

Thank You for the reply and informations!

I will download the TMO mod and look into the readme.

Then i will enable this mod via JGSME together with other smaller mod (NSM4 classic) if possible.
Old 06-08-17, 06:06 PM   #6
propbeanie

Be sure you get an older version of TMO, which like, I ~think~ it was v1.7 that was the last compatible with Silent Hunter 4 v1.4... Else you'll have all sorts of weirdness...

I cannot find the older versions on the site here, but it is out there on the net somewhere I'm sure. It will say it is compatible with SH4 v1.4 only, and NOT compatible with v1.5... just be careful of who you download it from...

Old 06-09-17, 02:52 AM   #7
p.jakub88
Gunner

I found this mod version: http://www.lonebullet.com/mods/downl...free-47388.htm

Quote from description:

"This is Ducimas' last release of Trigger Maru (not Overhauled) for 1.4. It -OR- the original version of Trigger Maru Overhauled (which followed 1.7.6) can be used with RSRDC V370.

REMEMBER, THIS FILE IS FOR USE ON THE STOCK GAME PATCHED TO 1.4, NOT THE UBOAT EXPANSION!!!"
Old 06-09-17, 10:32 AM   #8
propbeanie

That is the proper description. I played that for years after v1.5 came out, and I was miffed at Ubisoft for charging us money for a "patch", or "fix", and I refused to pay for it... sheesh - what a cry-baby I was...

I still recommend getting the v1.5 update though. You can "subscribe" to products on Amazon, and have them notify you when it goes on sale - I think... Been a while since I tried that. I know you can on Steam, but the Steam version of the update only works with the Steam version of v1.3 SH4 anymore...

Old 06-09-17, 10:34 AM   #9
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Be sure you get an older version of TMO, which like, I ~think~ it was v1.7 that was the last compatible with Silent Hunter 4 v1.4... Else you'll have all sorts of weirdness...

I cannot find the older versions on the site here, but it is out there on the net somewhere I'm sure. It will say it is compatible with SH4 v1.4 only, and NOT compatible with v1.5... just be careful of who you download it from...
Readme from TMO 1.7:

Versions:
There are two versions of TMO, and which one you use depends if you have the U boat Missions expansion or not. (henceforth called UBM)

* If you do not have UBM:
Then the latest version of SH4 available to you is version 1.4 In which case you should D/L the file named “ REL_TriggerMaru_Overhaul.7z “

*If you do have UBM: Then you are running SH4 version 1.5, and should d/l the file named “TriggerMaru_Overhaul_162_FULL”

Please note, that this mod is is targeted at Sh4 version 1.5. The version for Sh4 version 1.4 is no longer supported in any capacity, nor has any of the features and refinements as the version for Sh4 1.5.
Old 06-09-17, 10:43 AM   #10
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I didn't forget about you guys who still like v1.4...I do too. Never liked the idea of the Germans in the Pacific!? Come on! Reminds me when the Nazi's were messing with Tarzan deep in Africa!! Just silly stuff.

Optical Targeting Correction has two versions for SH4 1.4 found HERE.

Scroll down the thread to find the two OTC 1.4 versions. One for the stock game alone called "Optical Targeting Correction for 1.4". There's a small patch to go along with it called "OTC 1.4 Patch_1".

The other mod is compatible with RFB called "Optical Targeting Correction for RFB 1.4". If you don't have "Real Fleet Boat 1.4", I have a link to its download in my thread too.

I'm sending you to the main OTC thread with the above link so you can read what OTC does before just downloading it and figuring things out later.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 11:10 AM   #11
propbeanie

Excellent stuff, CapnScurvy! When I re-do things on my computer for the future updates of FotRSU, I am definitely going to have to re-do my re-dooze of SH4 v1.4 (I've for some reason, still got a v1.3 install too... hmmm ), and get me all that nice stuff that you guys did way back when... not to make us all sound "old" or anything like that...

In the meantime:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I didn't forget about you guys who still like v1.4...I do too. Never liked the idea of the Germans in the Pacific!? Come on! Reminds me when the Nazi's were messing with Tarzan deep in Africa!! Just silly stuff...
people like keltos01 and Peabody have taken advantage of that little weirdness though, and there will be a Japanese version of submarines in a while... hopefully sooner rather than later... At least they didn't bring Superman into it... oh wait! there's that "abilities" stuff...

Old 06-13-17, 04:14 PM   #12
p.jakub88
Gunner

I decided to re-install the game into Windows XP OS, it runs way better now .

Here is my enabled mod list:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH 4 enabled mod list.JPG (39.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-13-17, 06:09 PM   #13
propbeanie

excellent. XP is leaner and meaner than this new-fangled stuff... just don't let the wild and whoollie internet get to it...

Old 06-13-17, 07:11 PM   #14
p.jakub88
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
excellent. XP is leaner and meaner than this new-fangled stuff... just don't let the wild and whoollie internet get to it...
I simply have dual boot with Windows XP for some older games and software.

I tested those mods on Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 10 64-bit - in all of those Operating Systems the game runs worse in my case.