SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-16, 03:25 PM   #1
Herr Minger
Soundman

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0
Default Firing a torpedo successfully

How do I fire a successful torpedo with manual targeting unticked in the options whilst running WOS. I pressed space to get the target info used my torpedo man to get a solution and fire the torpedo. It didn't work. I'm not ready for the full manual targeting scenario yet.
Old 11-19-16, 05:34 PM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Just point and shoot...That's all. Torpedo solutions will adjust automatically...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 10:37 PM   #3
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Just point and shoot...That's all. Torpedo solutions will adjust automatically...
I don't agree. use methods that are taught in videos in Manuel targeting, under the listing on youtube -- no wonder VDr you couldn't sink 4 ships at a 90 AOB in your video

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 01:10 AM   #4
Propnut17
Mate

Downloads: 68

Captain AJ, every Captain is immersed in SH5 at their own level of enjoyment. Some have time to allow hours of involvement and are prepared to enjoy their time at 100% realism. They make use of all the skills that an actual u-boat Captain would employ to ensure that the end result of firing a torpedo results in a successful sinking.

Then there are others like me, a retired person who cannot understand why my pensionable days don't have as many free hours as my working days allowed. No I do not play at 100% as sometimes I start SH5 while I sit down with a cup of tea and watch the monitor as my U-49 just cuts through the sea with the clouds floating by at TC x1. Times like this I use to reflect just what it must be like to have been a sub-mariner in a war far from home. The modern PC allows the graphic detail to be enjoyed to the fullest, so I do take full advantage of what is displayed, while I still have good vision.

My biggest enjoyment comes from successfully evading destroyers or sneaking into and out of Scapa Flow. So to the hundreds (thousands?) of Captains out there, each has their own level of commitment and enjoyment of SH5. There is a wealth of helpful information, suggestions and video's within this forum that may answer questions and situations that you may encounter and need answers to.

I still wish to successfully get to the end of the first Campaign, and that has been after years of trying. Every time that I have restarted back at the Polish episode, I do feel I am getting better as an armchair sub-mariner. I have been greeted by the officer in the bunker so many times now, you would expect him to be on first name terms with me by now.

Propnut17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 10:36 AM   #5
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut17 View Post
Captain AJ, every Captain is immersed in SH5 at their own level of enjoyment. Some have time to allow hours of involvement and are prepared to enjoy their time at 100% realism. They make use of all the skills that an actual u-boat Captain would employ to ensure that the end result of firing a torpedo results in a successful sinking.

Then there are others like me, a retired person who cannot understand why my pensionable days don't have as many free hours as my working days allowed. No I do not play at 100% as sometimes I start SH5 while I sit down with a cup of tea and watch the monitor as my U-49 just cuts through the sea with the clouds floating by at TC x1. Times like this I use to reflect just what it must be like to have been a sub-mariner in a war far from home. The modern PC allows the graphic detail to be enjoyed to the fullest, so I do take full advantage of what is displayed, while I still have good vision.

My biggest enjoyment comes from successfully evading destroyers or sneaking into and out of Scapa Flow. So to the hundreds (thousands?) of Captains out there, each has their own level of commitment and enjoyment of SH5. There is a wealth of helpful information, suggestions and video's within this forum that may answer questions and situations that you may encounter and need answers to.

I still wish to successfully get to the end of the first Campaign, and that has been after years of trying. Every time that I have restarted back at the Polish episode, I do feel I am getting better as an armchair sub-mariner. I have been greeted by the officer in the bunker so many times now, you would expect him to be on first name terms with me by now.

Awesome Reply PropNut. Yes, campaigns in Sh5 do take longer. ever used Silentotto to unlock other campaigns?

Old 07-23-18, 10:41 AM   #6
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Default Some turtorials concerning Manuel targeting &attack plot method

Attack plot method ...............

How to hydro hunt .. Used In sh3 but also good for SH5

Real Navigation ....

Last edited by Captain_AJ; 07-23-18 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 06:19 PM   #7
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3
Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Minger View Post
How do I fire a successful torpedo with manual targeting unticked in the options whilst running WOS. I pressed space to get the target info used my torpedo man to get a solution and fire the torpedo. It didn't work. I'm not ready for the full manual targeting scenario yet.
You need to use the OFEV and change the "XO TDC" tab "Manual targeting enforced" value from True to False as per the screenshot. This will allow you to select either Manual or Auto targeting ingame by using the "Turn TDC Off/On" option in the XO dialogue box during an attack. Very handy option while learning manual targeting because you can select Auto targeting then compare your own calculations using the RAOBF etc with the auto targeting data set in the TDC. From the various books on German submarine warfare that I have read, it is usually the XO that uses the UZO to calculate the data to input into the TDC during a surface attack while the Captain uses his eyes/binoculars to maintain situational awareness. Therefore its probably more realistic to use "Auto targeting" during night surface torpedo attacks than inputting the TDC data manually.

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-16, 09:31 AM   #8
Herr Minger
Soundman

Thanks Kevinsue. Just one problem, how do I change the value from true to false? Will it affect a current campaign or do I have to start a new one for it to take effect?

EDIT: I have just found out how to change the values, double click on it and a dialogue box appears enabling you to change the value.
Old 11-21-16, 02:36 PM   #9
Herr Minger
Soundman

Right I have done the editing in OFEV as shown but alas it hasn't helped. I lined up on a tanker, switched on TWO by hitting space and the clicking on 1/turn on tmo. After that I brought up the torpedo man with it's menus and selected select target find solution and fire. The torpedo did not track the tanker. In SH3 we could do it this way so is it possible in WOS SH5?
Old 11-21-16, 04:21 PM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Minger View Post
In SH3 we could do it this way so is it possible in WOS SH5?
Sure it is possible and I told you how but it seem that you're ignoring my post from some reason...
If you have installed all as you should, you should only uncheck appropriate option in game settings, enter the mission, point the periscope and shoot...

Messing up with OFEV is not necessary. Cheers...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-16, 05:17 AM   #11
Herr Minger
Soundman

VDR1981 Are you sure that this is the case even when running the mod WOS and not just in the stock game? I have a feeling that the mod over rides the options.