SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-08, 09:27 AM   #1
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Nuclear-powered passenger aircraft

Read this article in the London Times today.

Quote:
Nuclear-powered aircraft may sound like a concept from Thunderbirds, but they will be transporting millions of passengers around the world later this century, the leader of a Government-funded project to reduce environmental damage from aviation believes.

The consolation of sitting a few yards from a nuclear reactor will be non-stop flights from London to Australia or New Zealand, because the aircraft will no longer need to land to refuel. The flights will also produce no carbon emissions and therefore make no contribution to global warming.
What do you think? Far fetched or a viable future long term alternative for the civil aviation industry? :hmm:

Gotta admit that my first thought was no way. Imagine if the 9-11 suicide attackers had flown nuclear powered passenger jets into the WTC buildings. Add dirty bomb to the mix. Not good.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 09:39 AM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

9-11 scenarios are horrifying to contemplate sure, but just your normal everyday aviation accident also becomes something far more deadly as well.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 09:47 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Insane. Totally insane. Aircraft happen to fall off the sky sometimes. Imagine. It could lead to the wrong people getting nuclear material. It could lead to wars between nations when the wrong plane has an accident in the wrong place. It could lead to major contamination and damage to the population that minimises 9/11's scale.

Insane. That rocket-scientist figuring this one out should get fired and locked away. He is a danger to the public.
Old 10-28-08, 09:52 AM   #4
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Twice in one day:hmm:, ditto what Skybird said.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 10:09 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Damn, second time we agree in just one day. Let's not make it a new habit, I hate to change my old ones.
Old 10-28-08, 10:15 AM   #6
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by August
9-11 scenarios are horrifying to contemplate sure, but just your normal everyday aviation accident also becomes something far more deadly as well.
Indeed.

Might be a good time to open up a nuclear decontamination and cleaning business.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 12:06 PM   #7
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Damn, second time we agree in just one day. Let's not make it a new habit, I hate to change my old ones.
Must be a full moon or something Actually, we agree every day, it's just some days we have to agree to disagree:rotfl:

Now, back to glow in the dark airplanes

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 12:56 PM   #8
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

I'd love to see how big the wings are to hold the reactors....
Old 10-28-08, 01:09 PM   #9
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Insane. Totally insane. Aircraft happen to fall off the sky sometimes. Imagine. It could lead to the wrong people getting nuclear material. It could lead to wars between nations when the wrong plane has an accident in the wrong place. It could lead to major contamination and damage to the population that minimises 9/11's scale.

Insane. That rocket-scientist figuring this one out should get fired and locked away. He is a danger to the public.
Yeah, we should all go back living in the stone age.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 02:16 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Quote:

Yeah, we should all go back living in the stone age.
Now, some more balance in your opinion forming would serve you well, don't you think? Where did I say something of banning flight machines alltogether, eh? Lobbing loads and loads of radioactive material over our heads and metropoles where many of such loads will navigate in close vicinity to each other just does not sound like a good idea. You know the difference between a radioactive contamination and the explosion of a planeload of fuel, yes?
Old 10-28-08, 02:27 PM   #11
fatty
The Old Man

Downloads: 10

There were once times when thunder was God speaking, the moon was made of cheese, and splitting atoms would certainly result in the destruction of the universe.

I won't slam it yet. Nuclear power has barely been around for 50 years. Give them another 100 as the article claims and we'll see where they can go for safety and scaling.
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 02:32 PM   #12
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

My father is a Pratt & Whitney employee and he actually was involved with some of the background stuff relating to the development of the nuclear jet engine (This was back durring the cold war).
They have an long underground tunnel with a railroad track in it that they used to run the engine through out at the factory. He said that it was VERY VERY top secret and they dropped the project because it was too expensive, and very unsafe in the event of a crash. He said they wasted years on the development of it.
He said that the engine was the size of a locomotive.
Old 10-28-08, 02:41 PM   #13
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konovalov
Gotta admit that my first thought was no way. Imagine if the 9-11 suicide attackers had flown nuclear powered passenger jets into the WTC buildings. Add dirty bomb to the mix. Not good.
Actually, perhaps not so bad.

Without all that aviation fuel burning, the WTC incident might not have been half as bad.

A light sprinkling of radiation isn't so bad. It is certainly preferable to the collapse.
Old 10-28-08, 02:59 PM   #14
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konovalov
Actually, perhaps not so bad.

Without all that aviation fuel burning, the WTC incident might not have been half as bad.

A light sprinkling of radiation isn't so bad. It is certainly preferable to the collapse.
Good point.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 03:48 PM   #15
lesrae
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
I'd love to see how big the wings are to hold the reactors....
That was my thought, get on at the back in London, walk to the front and get off in Paris - without ever leaving the ground
lesrae is offline   Reply With Quote