SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-22, 11:44 AM   #1
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2
Default So, it'll run but...

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been playing SHIII in some time. I wasn't necessarily planning on playing it anytime soon, but my laptop died.

I basically xferred my SHIII install, which is a heavily modded GWX version.

I can get into the specs for my new laptop if you want, but basically it is an MSI that is "screamin'."

The game will load, and I can get into the mission. However, it is now really unstable. It is weird, because if I start a mission on August 1, 1939, when there isn't a lot of ships in port, etc., it will work just fine.

However, if I load up in say St. Nazaire in October of 1940, it will load into the mission most of the time. However, sometimes if I move around inside the boat it will CTD. If I try to go up top, it will CTD. Tried it in different ports at different times of the war.

In addition, it won't load certain things, e.g. I have the 3k sub indicator for my sub, but when I load, it isn't there.

Wondering if anyone has any general suggestions about how to overcome this, I mean...other than dropping my mod soup and going to some kind of new install + mods? If I have to do that it may just not be worth it any more...

Let me know what you think.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 12:30 PM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi rudewarrior I have a huawei mate book with built in graphics and it runs GWX.
Sorry to ask but do you have the 4Gig Patch installed if not download link below Sir

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737

If you have this installed already you may have to disable your mods soup in JSGME and see if things improve with just GWX if all goes well add a mod one at a time to see what your laptop can cope with its a trade off between a stable setup and eyecandy. on lower spec machines
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 01:04 PM   #3
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Sorry to ask but do you have the 4Gig Patch installed
Yes, I have the 4Gb patch installed.

Quote:
If you have this installed already you may have to disable your mods soup in JSGME and see if things improve with just GWX if all goes well add a mod one at a time to see what your laptop can cope with its a trade off between a stable setup and eyecandy. on lower spec machines
This is what I am hoping to not do. I have quite the mod soup that I have picked out and overlapped carefully to shoot for as much realism as I can get. I am not really into the eye candy so much as gameplay, but my machine specs shouldn't really be a problem. I'll go ahead an post the basics.

MSI Titan
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900HX 2.30 GHz
RAM: 128 GB (128 GB usable)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Laptop GPU
Old 11-09-22, 01:11 PM   #4
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Gees Rudewarrior you should have no problems with that rig Sir

did you reinstall SH3 outside program/files x86 to avoid all the nasty windows protection.
install just on drive C:/

PS You have a pm Sir

Last edited by blackswan40; 11-09-22 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-09-22, 01:28 PM   #5
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Gees Rudewarrior you should have no problems with that rig Sir

did you reinstall SH3 outside program/files x86 to avoid all the nasty windows protection.
just on drive C:/

PS You have a pm Sir
Thanx for the PM. I have a DVD/Rom version of SHIII. It is on the C drive for the reasons you mentioned.

I'm actually thinking the machine may be too fast for it. The graphics are heavy and outdated. May be messing with it or something, but yeah, the machine should be able to run it.

There is evidence that my previous laptop was having trouble with St. Nazaire. Never wound up in that port when you start getting bombed by aircraft, so I never knew if it could deal with it or not.

Just...weird.
Old 11-09-22, 01:50 PM   #6
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

My Gaming rig is amd 3800 32 gig ram and taichi RX6800TX 16 gig Gpu

it runs GWX3 and LSH2022 other members with same or similar setup as you Nvidia 3080 will help you out tweaking things im sure thats why we all luv
Old 11-09-22, 06:12 PM   #7
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Which graphics chip is being used?

Modern Intel based laptops with nvidia cards offer the choice between running 3d graphics on the Intel integrated graphics or the nvidia chips. Either will cope with SH3, but it may be that the ancient SH3 code is confusing the poor beastie's auto switching logic. Have a look on Nvidia control panel, there should be some settings to play with.
I can't really help any more as I sacked Windows years ago and run SH3 on Linux (on a very old i3 laptop!). The graphics switching used to be a pain on linux at first until some folks fixed it. I always found nvidia chips on laptops cause the whole thing to overheat, so gains in graphics speed were largely lost because the processor throttled; this would be especially true on SH3 where one processor thread is being thrashed to death. I hope your device has a nice big noisy fan.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-22, 08:46 PM   #8
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
Have a look on Nvidia control panel, there should be some settings to play with.
Not too sure if I did the right thing, but I went in to the NVIDIA control panel settings and then set SH3 such that the NVIDIA card was dedicated to running it. Unfortunately, got CTD when trying to load into the mission.

Still looking for ideas to get this to start working.
Old 11-14-22, 02:15 AM   #9
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15

If the game crashes to disk during mission loading but the training missions run OK that tends to indicate the 4GB patch (or the HSie hard coded fixes, which include it) is not installed - as suggested by the earlier posters. If the training missions do not run either then that says 3D graphics problems.
I'm afraid the best solution would be to rebuild the installation again or use one of the pre-cooked mod compilations like Onealex.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-22, 04:52 PM   #10
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

So it's not the 4Gb patch. I have been using that since it first came out.

I just loaded it using my current soup in Wilhelmshaven in Oct 39. It loaded and everything was working, then when I hit escape with the intent of ending the mission there in port it crashed/froze on the dock in port screen. It will sometimes load the mission, and it is very unstable.
Old 11-14-22, 06:46 PM   #11
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Here's a dumb question. Do you have all of the codecs installed that were in the original install disks? Or the older DirectX drivers that may not be on a new Win 10/11 OS?

Other potential solution - go to the control panel and select Graphics card icon, open it up and select 3D settings..... come down to Silent hunter in the games... select that and then change every 3D setting to "OFF" (stolen from answers.microsoft.com).
3catcircus is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-22, 08:46 AM   #12
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Here's a dumb question. Do you have all of the codecs installed that were in the original install disks? Or the older DirectX drivers that may not be on a new Win 10/11 OS?
I did that with the DVD ROM install.

Quote:
Other potential solution - go to the control panel and select Graphics card icon, open it up and select 3D settings..... come down to Silent hunter in the games... select that and then change every 3D setting to "OFF" (stolen from answers.microsoft.com).
I've done what I think to be the equivalent of that. Still unstable.
Old 11-15-22, 03:24 PM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudewarrior View Post
So it's not the 4Gb patch. I have been using that since it first came out.

I just loaded it using my current soup in Wilhelmshaven in Oct 39. It loaded and everything was working, then when I hit escape with the intent of ending the mission there in port it crashed/froze on the dock in port screen. It will sometimes load the mission, and it is very unstable.
Are you certain the 4Gig Patch took? Is the SH3.exe file set to "Read-only" by chance, on the Properties page? Just to be certain.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-22, 01:18 PM   #14
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Are you certain the 4Gig Patch took? Is the SH3.exe file set to "Read-only" by chance, on the Properties page? Just to be certain.
Yes, I am sure.