SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-15, 06:32 PM   #106
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

The right hand column are the menu items that will drop down to your specified TC level when they appear in the message box . Second box from the time at the top of the gui (has to be orange to be enabled) . I have the 1st box drop down to 1TC for all messages (I use this for real nav) . I can turn it off or on at will by clicking on the box .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-15, 09:17 PM   #107
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3
radar Nav Officer navigational position fix errors...

Hello again Shaefer, regarding the target range error in episode #19. If using navigation fixes to establish a positional relationship between you and your intended target, the first position fix you use will be accurate because it could also be classed as arbitrary. If you use a second navigation fix e.g changing position during the same intended attack, there can be a random game generated error of anything up to 5 kilometers at default settings for a celestial fix or 15% of the distance travelled with a dead reckoning fix induced in you map work.

It is irrelevant to your attack plan as to where the target happens to be on planet Earth, but very relevant to where the target actually is in relation to you. Therefore using heading, speed and time to calculate your own D.R position after the initial arbitrary position mark, will give you consistently more accurate positional information between you and your target than anything poor old Emil can come up with!

Once again, another informative and entertaining episode in the maritime war saga of the Norse God!
P.S...have you thought of recording a really entertaining series by giving up your day job and becoming a full time singer 🎤 ♬ 🎶 🎵

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"

Last edited by kevinsue; 06-19-15 at 01:33 AM.
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 03:14 AM   #108
Shaefer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Do you use the chronometer alarm clock ?
I dont know. How does it work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsue View Post
Hi Shaefer.
With a bit of patience and persistence working out which ones of the 11,256 items you want to trigger your TC levels, you'll have it so fine tuned that it will automatically drop to TCx when your Mum rings and invites you back home for dinner!
Hi Kevin!
Thats funny, made me loud.
11256 Wow, that's insane. And only for the menus. It begins to dawn on me how much work went into making the OFE... You file diggers you.
I don`t think I even will try messing with that, 11256 things can go wrong..
My game is fine the way it is.
Thank you for pointing it out, maybe someone else want to have a go.
Quote:

Therefore using heading, speed and time to calculate your own D.R position after the initial arbitrary position mark, will give you consistently more accurate positional information between you and your target than anything poor old Emil can come up with!
Interesting. You lost me a little bit here, how do I go about doing this? Pardon me for being such a noob.
Quote:
P.S...have you thought of recording a really entertaining series by giving up your day job and becoming a full time singer 🎤 ♬ 🎶 🎵

It has crossed my mind, yes.
15% Skill.

"Submarine life most of the time is hours and hours of boredom with intermittent terror thrown in to keep you on your toes!"

Last edited by Shaefer; 06-19-15 at 03:39 AM.
Shaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 04:11 AM   #109
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I forgot it was even there . Click on the left or right hand middle of the chrono .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=7840
PS , I would hate to see your next videos with you trying to play the game the way someone else wants you to play it and you don't enjoy it .

Last edited by THE_MASK; 06-19-15 at 07:04 AM.
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 04:45 AM   #110
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

I had a few instances of Navigator problems.

1. My Navigator fix to take up an attack should have showed a port side attack but the periscope showed the target on the starboard side.
2. On another occasion I took up an attacking position ahead of the target only to find the target was already heading away.
3. I found it impossible to get a reliable fix where I could plan a 90 degree attack.

In desperation I dumped Real Nav and started a New Career without waypoints.
I did the Baltic but it was all too easy.

I am back with RN again and some adjusted settings in the OFEV RN tab and it has transformed the game making it what it should be enjoyable and not a frustration.
I want some element of difficulty but I need to know where I am when I get a Navigator fix.

I would suggest that you check some of the default settings in the OFEV RN tab if you are experiencing similar problems and adjust to suit your game play.

Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 05:09 AM   #111
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
[COLOR=#BFBFBF]...I need to know[/FONT] where I am when I get a Navigator fix.
The whole point of TDW real navigation mod is that one doesn't know his exact position in SH world.

Also, why do you need your exact position when planing an attack?!

You can place mark which represents your location (relative to the target) anywhere in the world and start your mapwork from there... The resoult will be the same regardles of position where your mapwork was drawn, was it north pole or even over land...

If I remember correctly, I explained you before how actually TDW RN works, try to read that post again...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 08:09 AM   #112
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaefer View Post
Quote:
Therefore using heading, speed and time to calculate your own D.R position after the initial arbitrary position mark, will give you consistently more accurate positional information between you and your target than anything poor old Emil can come up with!
Interesting. You lost me a little bit here, how do I go about doing this? Pardon me for being such a noob.

Hehe..as per the diagram below, starting at point A, if you travel for 2 hours on a heading of 120° at 4 knots then after an elapsed time of 2 hours, you will be 8 nautical miles from point A at the new position point B in the direction of 120°T from your point of origin. In SH5, you use the Speed Conversion Charts to find out how many meters/Kilometers you will travel when maintaining a speed of X knots for X amount of time. Just use the ruler to measure the calculated distance in the direction of the boats magnetic heading to get point B.

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"

Last edited by kevinsue; 06-19-15 at 08:22 AM.
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 08:27 AM   #113
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

to find your exact position on map is really easy with tdw's real navigation ...if u don't trust on the markers u can easy mark yourself the exact location on the map.
just click on the pen then hold down the ctrl key and press left click from your mouse everywhere on the map and the map will jump and your pen will mark your exact location on the map then u can use the super marker to mark your location :P

PS. i will make a sort video how to do it
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 12:33 AM   #114
MoldyTyler
Watch

Downloads: 56

Just wanted to pop in again and let you know I am loving the revamped series!

Thanks for the awesome entertainment.
MoldyTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-15, 01:23 PM   #115
Shaefer
Navy Dude

Good evening everyone!

I was about to continue my let`s play this evening, but disaster struck like a dud torpedo.
Whenever I try to load a previous save, my game crash to desktop with the infamous " game stopped responding".
This is bad, very, very bad. I don`t want to start over again...

I have done nothing to my game since the last episode, everything is the same. The only thing I noticed is that the launcher updated.

Did anyone have this problem in the past two months? I`m in desperate need of pointers...

Thanks a ton to all in advanced.
15% Skill.

"Submarine life most of the time is hours and hours of boredom with intermittent terror thrown in to keep you on your toes!"

Old 09-24-15, 02:29 PM   #116
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Shaefer

Try this fix.
Post #173 Ubisoft Game Launcher How To Fix It

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 04:07 PM   #117
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Good evening everyone!

I was about to continue my let`s play this evening, but disaster struck like a dud torpedo.
Whenever I try to load a previous save, my game crash to desktop with the infamous " game stopped responding".
This is bad, very, very bad. I don`t want to start over again...

I have done nothing to my game since the last episode, everything is the same. The only thing I noticed is that the launcher updated.

Did anyone have this problem in the past two months? I`m in desperate need of pointers...

Thanks a ton to all in advanced.
Welcome back Norse God !
I'm not sure what has happen with your game or how can you solve your problem but, I would honestly recommend to you to wait another day or two until I release new patch 9 for Wolves 1.04. and to start new career with it.
There were some major updates regarding realism, gameplay and game stability while you were away...

Maybe something new this time, Happy Times or Western Approaches using "silentotto" command?
This would seem like natural continuation of your current series, not to mention that vast majority of SH5 players are very well familiar with opening CW campaign. I'm sure that everyone would like to see your skills against large north Atlantic convoys this time...
Old 09-27-15, 06:42 AM   #118
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

If you really want to call this realistic you must stop hovering your sub at zero knots. Just keep 1 or 2 knots going for dynamic control. Yes it makes your precision plotting harder but you should be eyeballing AOB anyway. Speed you already know how to do with the length/time*1.94 equation. Range you have stad.

Love your videos anyway. Keep up the great work.

PS... Oh yeah! Hold down left control for fine mouse movement while using the stad!.....ur welcome.

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 09-27-15 at 09:52 PM.
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-15, 06:44 AM   #119
Shaefer
Navy Dude

Next one is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Welcome back Norse God !
There were some major updates regarding realism, gameplay and game stability while you were away...

Maybe something new this time, Happy Times or Western Approaches using "silentotto" command?
This would seem like natural continuation of your current series, not to mention that vast majority of SH5 players are very well familiar with opening CW campaign. I'm sure that everyone would like to see your skills against large north Atlantic convoys this time...
This sounds very interesting.
Are you talking about using "silentotto" to forward my new installment of the game to where I am now in game?
I have been missing finding big convoys....

EDIT# By the way, thank you guys for trying to help with the problems I had with the game. I appreciate it.
15% Skill.

Old 10-31-15, 08:46 AM   #120
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Next one is up!

This sounds very interesting.
Are you talking about using "silentotto" to forward my new installment of the game to where I am now in game?
I have been missing finding big convoys....
Yes, It would be really interesting IMO to see you in HT campaign because very few SH5 players ever played it...

Last edited by vdr1981; 10-31-15 at 08:56 AM.