SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-16, 08:46 PM   #2146
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
No - I am sure you weren't
It is one of those happy chances

You were just looking for a good looking shot, and it looks as if you have a good eye for this sort of thing

The whole 'US Sub rising up from the depths to ensure the fall of the Rising Sun' thing,
That looks completely accidental, and also completely awesome

In fact - it is completely awesome because it is accidental

You managed to stumble upon the absolute perfect shot for the loading screen purely by chance

Or providence

Coincidence, or providence

I will happily take either

Thanks for those kind words, max. I could say something similar about the work you've done for FOTRSU.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-16, 09:17 PM   #2147
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm "off the grid" for the next week being out of the country. Hold the fort down!!
Suppose the the old fahrt doesn't wanna be held down? I just noticed, you said "country", not "county"... They're still letting you travel with that Jim Phelps visa?...

Like most have said cdrsubron7, great shot. I like the Fleet Boat one, like you have in your current sig, the best too.

I'm running late on getting to the '41 changes, maybe midnight... just don't know what day yet...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-16, 10:20 PM   #2148
propbeanie

Alright all you CTDs... I zipped-up the wrong folder... wow - - I went into the Formosa area, and ~never~ did see a float plane, or anything resembling what I'd put in the SubHunter groups... just a bunch of Dirty Dog destroyers, and a bunch of land-based airplanes... Seen one, seen 'em all, and they've seen me three... Got shot at quite a lot... What gave it away was when I went into the ME, and went to do that "Play" thingie again, and I did one file at a time, and zoomed in on Formosa... "Wait a minute" says I... "There's no RGG anywhere near here... So I went back to my workspace on the hard drive, and sure enough, I zipped-up basically "stock" MIS files... wow. Again - - Needless to say, do NOT use the "1941CampaignChanged.7z" file, but rather instead, use the "1941aCampaignChanged.7z" file that's up there in its place now... As before, you should be able to use the JSGME with it, but get rid of the old one first...

Edit: 'course, all I can find on my way to Formosa is these beasties:

still looking me for one of them floatie planes... do you know how difficult it is to get a picture of one of these dudes?...

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-23-16 at 10:49 PM. Reason: planes and more planes...
Old 09-24-16, 09:10 AM   #2149
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Got to play today for the first time in three or four weeks

It's gonna be a bad day for this fella

Particularly like this shot, with just the flag and the bow

I must say - the latest Beta Build, with the Capn's fixes over the top, looks and plays beautifully

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 11:39 AM   #2150
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Hey guys, help me out. I'm trying to convert the Intro screen into a DDS.file and put in the game to see what it looks like. The software I'm using to convert from jpg to DDS doesn't seem to work to well. When the game boots and the intro screen appears things look out of kilter. Could one of you recommend something?

Old 09-24-16, 12:02 PM   #2151
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
It works
As you have already said - this game was never coded to work in widescreen high resolutions.
The fact that you can make these things work in these resolutions is much appreciated - thanks Capn
Awesome, Capn! Great job there. I don't know how you find the time!

And this campaign work demands even MORE time. I just can't seem to find any. I have two replacement ships to try out, Bismark and Nelson. I've got to check out sensors, which I had an hour last night to do.

Traveling at 12 knots I got a long range sonar contact reported to me by the crew. Slowed down to 10 knots, submerged to periscope depth and.....no sonar spike. My crew member on the surface at cruise speed can detect targets beyond my ability slowed and at periscope depth when I'm manning the equipment. That isn't right.

But I traveled in the direction reported by the sonar operator and did acquire the target later. Ran out of time and saved the game at that point.

I'm still getting the drop out of TC with radar contacts and the radar operator reporting radar contacts when near a port when the radar is turned off. I do get FEWER contacts, but some of them still stop me. Turning radar off does allow me to use time compression on my way out with fewer interruptions than with radar on. This is a curious situation that smells hard wired. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Graphically, the game is stunning. I spent a half hour moving around the control room of my Gato, looking at everything. It's impressive. I'm feeling really, really good about this mod.

I sure hope we can get a handle on the 100 DD groups that spawn and metastasize until the game crashes. I hope the hunter-killer groups are not involved.

Keep those hunter-killers handy because I had a brainstorm for a supermod within a supermod.
Quote:
What if the Japanese had been able to build several dozen small jeep aircraft carriers, as the US did for the Battle of the Atlantic? What if they were to be able to man those with the best flight crews and the best ASW aircraft? What if American submarines in the Pacific faced the kind of threats U-Boats in the Atlantic were forced to endure?

It's been talked about for 70 years! Could the Germans have won the Battle of the Atlantic with American submarines? Now YOU can find out, as, in this imaginary war, the Japanese have the hunter-killer groups, the very technology that spelled doom for the German U-boats and ended the Battle of the Atlantic. And YOU have an American submarine.

The Chickens Have Come Home to Roost!
It's one of the ultimate uses of a simulator. "What if" this happened?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 12:41 PM   #2152
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Hey guys, help me out. I'm trying to convert the Intro screen into a DDS.file and put in the game to see what it looks like. The software I'm using to convert from jpg to DDS doesn't seem to work to well. When the game boots and the intro screen appears things look out of kilter. Could one of you recommend something?
Hmmmm. Sounds mighty familiar. Let me look into that this afternoon and I'll let you know. It's the internal structure of the .dds file that makes the difference: mip maps vs no mip maps, etc. v0.25 has that problem now with the load screen not displaying correctly all the time.
Old 09-24-16, 01:01 PM   #2153
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Icon14

Hey subron
Send me the image
and I can resave it in Photoshop as a DDS file
Photoshop has all the correct check boxes and options to save the DDS File just the right way that sh4 likes it

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 01:02 PM   #2154
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Hmmmm. Sounds mighty familiar. Let me look into that this afternoon and I'll let you know. It's the internal structure of the .dds file that makes the difference: mip maps vs no mip maps, etc. v0.25 has that problem now with the load screen not displaying correctly all the time.
Gotcha, boss. BTW, just for grins the resolution on the Intro_logo is 1024x512. Checked stock game and FOTRSDU.

Old 09-24-16, 01:03 PM   #2155
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Hey subron
Send me the image
and I can reduce it in Photoshop
Photoshop has all the correct check boxes and options to save the DDS Fe in just the right way that sh4 likes it

Will be done after I get home from work this afternoon.

Old 09-24-16, 01:06 PM   #2156
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I'm also going to be getting the GIMP .dds filter settings right.
Old 09-24-16, 01:59 PM   #2157
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
I'm also going to be getting the GIMP .dds filter settings right.
He, boss. Have you checked your PMs today?

Old 09-24-16, 02:21 PM   #2158
propbeanie

Quote:
... Traveling at 12 knots I got a long range sonar contact reported to me by the crew. Slowed down to 10 knots, submerged to periscope depth and.....no sonar spike. My crew member on the surface at cruise speed can detect targets beyond my ability slowed and at periscope depth when I'm manning the equipment. That isn't right.

But I traveled in the direction reported by the sonar operator and did acquire the target later. Ran out of time and saved the game at that point...
That's what I've gotten all too often... CapnScurvy was gonna look into that, he had said, a few weeks ago... Now he's gone off-the-grid and out-of-country, both at the same time!... I sure hope he's having fun

Quote:
... I sure hope we can get a handle on the 100 DD groups that spawn and metastasize until the game crashes. I hope the hunter-killer groups are not involved.

Keep those hunter-killers handy because I had a brainstorm for a supermod within a supermod...
... It's one of the ultimate uses of a simulator. "What if" this happened?
Oooh... scary... I had that idea too... did you put that forth a couple years ago here?... Anyway, I've got an idea for that also, and actually have a few groups already set to go. After the core is "set", I'll finalize the set I've got and put 'em up on the Not-so-secret repository of all things WIP...

In the meantime, team meeting in the PM room...

Old 09-24-16, 04:20 PM   #2159
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290

Just fyi, I am blown away by how awesome you guys are. The talent, vision and dedication really renews my faith for this world. Being in law enforcement in the US it's difficult these days but being able to escape into the undersea world with professionals like yourselves really helps remove some of the weight on my shoulders each night. God speed and fair seas my friends!! And to quote a fellow shipmate years ago, "There are only two things in our oceans, Submarines and Targets!".

Jack

by....ME / QM3 Jack Frost, USS IOWA BB61 - Precom 1983 - 1987 / CTR2 Jack Frost - NSGA Northwest Chesapeake, VA. 1987 - 1994!
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 04:22 PM   #2160
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Okay, changelog for FOTRSU v.26 Beta EN:
  • Entered JP Old Medium Tanker, JP Medium Cooler and JP Heavyloadfreighter to Roster folder.
  • FOTRSU v.26 Beta Update applied
  • AFB_p38j_shp.dss removed (duplicate with upper case P)
Question: do we want to incorporate FOTRSU Patrol Objectives Overhaul? And how about a summary of just what that does?