SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-20, 03:15 PM   #1
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0
Default New to SH5. Trying to get up and running.

I've just downloaded SH5 from Steam and am running it on Uplay. It's extremely beautiful but a little slow on my PC.

My specs are:

Geforce GT 610

3X AMD Athlon 450 3.20 ghz

RAM 8.00

Is this OK for the game on fairly high settings?

Is the downloaded game buggy visual wise?

I'd like to mod this but I don't see where it's placed on my PC. All I see is the folder in My Documents.

I've been trying out the first campaign mission which is frustrating as I'm used to SH3. In particular I can't zoom in and out of the map. Also is there a shortcut to stations like periscope/ bridge etc without having to scuttle about with the 3D view?

Thanks!
Compans57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 03:48 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I would say play the stock game for awhile and see if you like it, but be prepared that lots of strange gameplay behaviors will happen like torpedos running in circles etc. Your computer is performant enough for this game, hey it's a 2010 game...

If soon or late you want to mod it, then you have only the 1 reasonable choice which is TWoS, however it's oriented towards hardcore players which are used to play in high difficulty and high realism settings, nothing for the casual gamer I would say. I'm woking for longer on a megamod compilation which has 3 difficulty levels, also based on TWoS but it's not released yet...

In any case if you mod the game you must...

1) have version 1.2.0,

2) you must apply the U-Play fix,

3) then apply the "TDW Generic Patcher" before installing your own modlist.

If you install TWoS you can skip point 3), it will do it for you, but read install instructions carefully.

Enjoy the game, greetings.
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-18-20 at 04:10 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 04:49 PM   #3
Compans57
Officer

Thankyou Xenon.

As regards hardcore players, I like high realism but with SH3, have avoided the TDC. Aside from that I like everything else on difficult.

Where, if anywhere is the gamefile located on my PC if downloaded from steam?

Is the 'Uplay fix' what I've already done and play via Uplay?

I downloaded the SH5 manual online but they seem to have missed the part where it shows you how to steer the boat! I miss the dials from SH3, speed and direction.

Last edited by Compans57; 04-18-20 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-19-20, 06:10 PM   #4
Compans57
Officer

OK well I'm one day in.

My impressions so far:

Having played SH3 for a long time, this game is (visual wise) a real keeper. I tried going back to SH3 last night and the graphics are very cartoony in comparison. So I'm going with this one.

My graphic settings are pretty vanilla - particle density/light beams etc on low. I'll have to upgrade my video card. Any suggestions for my system would be very welcome.

At this point I'd also like to mod, but I need advice on how to start with my Steam version. Is there a good, recent thread for this?

I'm not keen on megamods so a system like JGSME would be ideal if it's possible.

My major gripes with the game are the irritating scuttling about between stations. I miss the buttons top right in SH3. I don't think it's unrealistic as doing all this moving about in real time puts you in the position of being everyone. The cut scenes are cheesy too.

Is there a full keyboard command list somewhere? I know the F1 and Cntrl buttons but I notice 'Z' is still silent running and I'm not sure how to turn it off?

I find everytime I go to Options/game settings, they've changed from my choices and No unlimited fuel/batteries etc are unchecked. How do I maintain my choices?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Compans57; 04-19-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 03:32 AM   #5
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

If you have the UPlay version, you will not be able to mod with The Wolves of Steel. If you use TWoS, Ubi have forced an update to return the .exe to 1.2 stock, thus crashing your sim. There is no way around it as the "Play" button in UPlay changes to an "Update" button. You can only use TWoS now with DVD version (preferred) or a Steam installation, with some extra modding.

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 05:48 AM   #6
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

you can play TWOS with the uplay version you just got to download the fix from here
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 10:37 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

He has the Steam version, and as such, you cannot use sober's mod, which I have wanted to try, but I have a Steam game also. But The Wolves of Steel is a very good mod, and is very customizable, and I am able to get just about what I want in the mod. The game is worlds different from SH3, other than the subject matter.

The game, if you did a default Steam install will be in "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \Common \Silent Hunter 5" folder. As such, if you desire to mod, this location will usually NOT work. The Program Files folders under Windows are protected, and as such, any alteration performed in there by JSGME or similar will be rolled back to their previous condition to "protect" the user from themself... very frustrating. SH5 can be used there if you defeat all of the UAC (User Access Control), which is generally not recommended. If you have Windows 10, any alterations to your system that you make, are rolled back to what Windows knows you want after any major Windows Updates, so that can be an exercise in futility some times.

Refer to "Moving a Steam Installation and Games" for info on accomplishing a move. If you only have one or two Steam games, it is sometimes easier to uninstall Steam, then re-install, but pick a different location to install to, such as "C:\Games \Steam etc." If you have a good second hard drive in your system, including fast external drives, then you could use that as a 2nd Steam Library folder, and install the game to there. Steam is not too much different than a disk install, and definitely better than the UPlay version of the game, but it does have its own "quirks" to deal with.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 10:44 AM   #8
Compans57
Officer

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'd prefer to make it as easy as possible. What is 'TWOs' that everyone's referring to?
Old 04-20-20, 10:45 AM   #9
Compans57
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians69 View Post
If you have the UPlay version, you will not be able to mod with The Wolves of Steel. If you use TWoS, Ubi have forced an update to return the .exe to 1.2 stock, thus crashing your sim. There is no way around it as the "Play" button in UPlay changes to an "Update" button. You can only use TWoS now with DVD version (preferred) or a Steam installation, with some extra modding.
What is the extra modding you're referring to? Same as propbeanie mentioned?
Old 04-20-20, 10:48 AM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

The Wolves of Steel. Your Steam game is v1.2 already, so as long as you are not in a Program Files folder with your install, you should be good to go. Just be sure and read the install instructions for the mod first, which are available as a separate download. UPlay is a bother, and also a front-end from Ubisoft. You will want to set it to Play OffLine when you get to that point of the install.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 12:05 PM   #11
Compans57
Officer

Cheers mate, I'll give it a go.
Old 04-20-20, 12:38 PM   #12
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Compans57
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 03:31 PM   #13
momps
Watch

Downloads: 15

I just went through the process of loading TWOs (The Wolves of Steel) on my Steam installation that I play through UPlay. I am very happy with the results. Here is the thread where I asked similar questions https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=244334

The key for me was to download the SH5.exe file and replace my existing Steam/UPlay SH5.exe file. Once that change was made, I uploaded TWOs and viola. Much better sim.

Good luck.
Momps
momps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 06:58 PM   #14
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

One word of advice - turn down the shadows to half and it should run smooth as silk.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 11:16 PM   #15
Compans57
Officer

Thanks chaps.