SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-20-16, 11:45 AM   #2701
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I'm still researching how to get a depth charge splash sound. Looks like nvdrifter's mod is MIA from the universe. I found the depth charge splash sound with the aim of making it louder, but it's set for 100% in the sound.somethingorother file and at 100% in the sound file itself. I'm still going to test making the sound file at about 200% to see if it's audible then.

In the meantime, if anybody has a copy of nvdrifter's depth charge splash warning mod, I'd appreciate it if you could get it to me!
What about some sounds of Thomsen sound pack for SH3? I have some of these sounds in my SH4 RFB and GFO, and work.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-16, 12:43 PM   #2702
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I don't think it's the sound file itself. I think it's a setting somewhere that keeps us from hearing it. I listened to the sound file, P18_&KGun_water_splash.wav and it's fine. And in the sh.sdl file the sound is set to play at 100% volume. So I conclude there's a setting somewhere that has to be tweaked and the answer is in nvdrifter's mod.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-16, 01:51 PM   #2703
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

@Propbeanie yes still June '42. Prior to the encounter I had 2 contacts show up on the navigation map SW of where I was and one was a task force and the other was listed as a single warship. They popped up almost overlapping and that was where I was heading. Those two tiny land masses almost 130 degrees from Guam was where they popped up. I have a screenshot of it but not sure how to attach one.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-16, 02:15 PM   #2704
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

A lot of us just use a free photo-hosting, like google+ photos, Flickr, imgur, or photobucket or some such. Photobucket used to be pretty good, but now they've got more advertising junk on them than MediaFire does... When I do a photobucket pic over here anymore, I delete the url part of the link, and just use the img portion. That way, you can see the screen grab here, but don't have to worry about getting bombarded by krap if you happen to click on the pic. If you need help setting it up, just PM me. I haven't used any of the others lately, but I used to use Flickr back before they changed their name. I am "in the market" for another though, since Photobucket has gotten so weird. (or "weirder")...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-16, 05:53 PM   #2705
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Only 2 errors I've seen after 7 missions.
The "Old Fast Merchant" was flying a German flag, I would have taken a pic but it was dark and the flag was obscured by fire and smoke as well.
The "Covette Kanamura Class" I think that should be called a corvette shouldn't it.

That's all for now. No it isn't, I finally dropped on a Task Force, my last 2 stern torps took care of a carrier.
Old 11-20-16, 05:56 PM   #2706
Saba
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Open Beta

I know it's ready when it's ready, but... what are the chances of the open beta coming out this week (like before Thanksgiving?!)
Old 11-20-16, 06:34 PM   #2707
propbeanie

Keep yer tootsies crossed there Saba - we're gettin' close... I hope

As for the German flag Moonlight, that is not uncommon in Fall of the Rising Sun. AOTD_MadMax and his team mixed the Axis rather freely, and we haven't changed any of that. As for the ship name versus class, we'll put s7rikeback on that. Thanks for the details.

Old 11-20-16, 06:48 PM   #2708
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

When going into a saved game, before actually loading it I have been returning to the gameplay options and have noticed sometimes I need to reset them and sometimes they are saved from when I started the career. I am also not able to use my external camera if I have it as allowed in gameplay settings. I can move my view off of the sub but if it submerges I am then brought back into the sub. I haven't used external camera in years but wanted to while testing. What am I doing wrong?

Also running a Jan 43 mission enroute to area 6. I see the air patrols have picked up.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-16, 09:35 PM   #2709
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
When going into a saved game, before actually loading it I have been returning to the gameplay options and have noticed sometimes I need to reset them and sometimes they are saved from when I started the career. I am also not able to use my external camera if I have it as allowed in gameplay settings. I can move my view off of the sub but if it submerges I am then brought back into the sub. I haven't used external camera in years but wanted to while testing. What am I doing wrong?

Also running a Jan 43 mission enroute to area 6. I see the air patrols have picked up.
Sounds like a corrupted save... Sort of. But I dunno... strange. Checking closer on your previous report. How many saves between that and now? Did you notice any lag in the game's performance around the time of the whale chasers encounter? Any other "odd" things?

Air patrols do pick-up as the Empire spreads and they get more airfields. Be aware that CapnScurvy made it to where some of the BB, CA & CL can launch scout planes... Don't be seen... :wink:

Old 11-21-16, 12:18 AM   #2710
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105
Default Number of Depth Charges

My question pertains to Propbeanie's recall of a DD with an unlimited amount of depth charges. I have had this happen before, nail biting and sweating out the barrages praying it would end .......if at all a slim chance to to a way. Now talking about 1 DD compared to 3 or 5 just cross circling above your position is quite madding.
So looking for an answer I found this......
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...8/WDR58-3.html

3-8. The depth charge was the primary Japanese surface ship anti-submarine weapon. Depth charges were placed aboard practically every type of ship capable of carrying them and even the smallest of patrol craft could generally be expected to have a few. Very slow craft used parachutes to reduce the sinking rate of their charges so as to reach a safe distance from the detonations. The Japanese used depth charge throwers extensively and even merchant ships were occasionally equipped with these. Fleet destroyers generally carried about 30 depth charges. Frigates (Kaikoban) could carry as many as 300 and were usually fitted with twelve single depth charge throwers, six to a side, and one stern rack. The Japanese PC-13 Class, by far the most numerous of their PC types, carried about 36 charges with two side throwers and one stern rack. Gun armament for the PC-13 Class consisted of one 8 cm. dual purpose and one twin 13mm machine gun. ON PAGE 10

So my question to the modders is this even doable???? Limiting DC on DD's and gradually implementing them as the war increases use and conflict ; or is this something of hard coding next to impossible????
Is the AI aspect different to player interaction you have limited deck gun ammo and torpedoes?

Something else to stew and ponder on...........
FITH

My PC is down but FOTRS Mod is taking shape and following in earnest!!

Last edited by fithah4; 11-21-16 at 12:28 AM.
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-16, 03:12 AM   #2711
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

I am going thru that right now only there are 5 destroyers...Sank one about and hour ago along with a Mogami class heavy cruiser...Maybe that's why they are so irritated losing a destroyer and a HEAVY CRUISER...
Old 11-21-16, 06:23 AM   #2712
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

I haven't touched SHIV for a long while but now I am all aboard the hype train! I can't wait to play again!
Old 11-21-16, 08:14 AM   #2713
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post

So my question to the modders is this even doable???? Limiting DC on DD's and gradually implementing them as the war increases use and conflict ; or is this something of hard coding next to impossible????
Is the AI aspect different to player interaction you have limited deck gun ammo and torpedoes?

There are all sorts of configuration files that I'm aware of for a goodly portion of the weapons in the game, including their load-outs. I'm not sure (mostly text editing under my belt for modding) if the amounts can be changed for a particular weapon as the game campaign progresses, or not. We'd have to have someone more familiar with that aspect chime in.

Old 11-21-16, 04:08 PM   #2714
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Only 2 errors I've seen after 7 missions.
The "Old Fast Merchant" was flying a German flag, I would have taken a pic but it was dark and the flag was obscured by fire and smoke as well.
The "Covette Kanamura Class" I think that should be called a corvette shouldn't it.

That's all for now. No it isn't, I finally dropped on a Task Force, my last 2 stern torps took care of a carrier.
Good spot, name changed to correct class.
Old 11-23-16, 01:04 PM   #2715
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

My career is ended in February 43, depth charged at 450ft in a Balao and all bulkheads are kaput along with practically every other onboard system.

Is this just another one of these re-hashed difficulty mods I ask myself, if not, could I\we have some proof that the IJN had this kind of capability, if they didn't have it then I fail to see the reasoning behind it.

Its maybe me that's a bit annoyed at having my career ended but I can tell you this, the way I'm feeling at the moment if you fotrs modders were here right now you'd all be needing medical attention.