SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-18, 12:40 PM   #5866
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What boat were you driving, your port, and the date, that would be all we'd possibly need, if that. If you do not have active radar sets on your boat, the <Ctrl><T> combo does nothing, and while going to the Radar Station with either the menu button, or the <J> key (be sure an look at the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" file), you will see the sets, but they do not function - there are no radar set covers as the SSI Silent Hunter originally had... I think mouse clicks on the Radar display will do as you describe, where the button on the console lights-up and you get the name of the switch showing on-screen, but then the view just rotates around as you move the mouse. Once you have operational radar, all of the buttons should work as expected.

With that, I'm going to say you most likely only have the SD air radar, and it really doesn't matter which boat you are on. I don't remember all of the particulars (it has been a few weeks ago), but it seems to me that what you describe has been worked on already... I just wish I could remember if this was an older issue, or fixed ~after~ v0.63 beta... We'll have to await "official" notification from either s7rikeback (he's younger - surely he'll remember ) or CapnScurvy, who did the fix.
Ok, just reloaded a Save from my refuel/rearm at Tulagi. My boat is the USS Grenadier (SS-210); Date is October 20, 1942; Base time is 9:44; Weather is clear; seas moderate. We are running on the surface. I have both radars, SJ-1 Improved and SD-improved. Both radars are ON and showing one air and multiple surface contacts on the F5 display. Boat is 8.0 NM from Tulagi "anchor" symbol. According to the Watch Officer there are no visual targets in sight. What my just completed testing shows is this:

The "T" key turns off the SD radar only; I have to go to the SJ radar to turn it off manually. Using the T key to turn both on, as the note says, does not always turn on both radars. That seems confusing, and I wonder if it is the result of repeat using the T key? Repeating using the T key to turn off the radars (both, according to the message posted) results on only the SD going off; still have to turn off the SJ manually.

I noticed that when I turn them to "ON" via the T key, air contacts show up, but surface contacts do not. If I look at the two screens at the radar station, both screens are dark. Turning on the SJ radar starts the display, but the SD remains dark. If I then turn off the SJ so that both are dark and go to the SD screen, turning it on turns on BOTH SD and SJ (both screens are lit, and targets show up on the F5 display)

It's all functional and controllable as is; it is just that the "T" key does not seem to do what it says it did, at least in this particular situation.

I took some screen shots, but don't know how helpful they will be.

EDIT: Corrected Boat Name and Class!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 04-05-18 at 12:56 PM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 02:34 PM   #5867
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1491

When will these new single missions be available? Next beta release?

JeffG
Old 04-05-18, 04:00 PM   #5868
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg View Post
When will these new single missions be available? Next beta release?

JeffG

There are a number of the missions loaded in 0.63 Beta. All but the last three of the Kido Butai missions are already in the current Beta release. Also the first ten of the Single Missions. All five of the Aleutian missions are in the current Beta also. Five of the War Patrol missions (last five) are new and have not been added yet. All missions should be included in the next Beta release.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 07:48 PM   #5869
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1491
Icon14

Thanks

jeffg
Old 04-05-18, 08:38 PM   #5870
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Ok, just reloaded a Save from my refuel/rearm at Tulagi. My boat is the USS Grenadier (SS-210); Date is October 20, 1942; Base time is 9:44; Weather is clear; seas moderate. We are running on the surface. I have both radars, SJ-1 Improved and SD-improved. Both radars are ON and showing one air and multiple surface contacts on the F5 display. Boat is 8.0 NM from Tulagi "anchor" symbol. According to the Watch Officer there are no visual targets in sight. What my just completed testing shows is this:

The "T" key turns off the SD radar only; I have to go to the SJ radar to turn it off manually. Using the T key to turn both on, as the note says, does not always turn on both radars. That seems confusing, and I wonder if it is the result of repeat using the T key? Repeating using the T key to turn off the radars (both, according to the message posted) results on only the SD going off; still have to turn off the SJ manually.

I noticed that when I turn them to "ON" via the T key, air contacts show up, but surface contacts do not. If I look at the two screens at the radar station, both screens are dark. Turning on the SJ radar starts the display, but the SD remains dark. If I then turn off the SJ so that both are dark and go to the SD screen, turning it on turns on BOTH SD and SJ (both screens are lit, and targets show up on the F5 display)

It's all functional and controllable as is; it is just that the "T" key does not seem to do what it says it did, at least in this particular situation.

I took some screen shots, but don't know how helpful they will be.

EDIT: Corrected Boat Name and Class!
OK, anything in the Guadalcanal area, first of all, let me warn all of you that The Tokyo Express is entirely too frequent, and entirely too good at dropping depth charges on your boat... like killer superman DD, all high-end gear and crews, and I'm talking in October and November of 1942, trying a couple of cdrsubron7's Missions, from the above post of his... sheesh, more Campaign changes coming...

Anyway torpedobait, CapnScurvy is definitely trying to get the radar to function in a more sensible manner, but the game has short-changed the player in more ways than one with these little bugaboos. The use of the "T" key is supposed to control the SD Radar. The <Ctrl><T> combination is the combo to turn the SJ Radar on and off. We have not attempted yet to keep up with the documentation for the mod. Again, check the keyboard chart in that "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" file.

I am forgetting the whole story at this time, but there is a method to the madness, since SH4 is not like the original Silent Hunter, so anything we do for radar (especially) is a work-a-round. Doing another test mission this evening, and I was getting contact reports, apparently from the radar, for surface ships, even though I only had the SD on, so we'll double-check things again, but it's almost like any little thing you do in the game that the game does not like, will result in some quirk that will show itself before long.

In my case, I had paused the game and started MSI AfterBurner to record another unusual occurrence, and then started getting the radar reports... As far back as I can remember, the game has had some rather strange quirks, and a few of them can be gotten rid of (for a time) by saving the game, exiting the game, then re-starting the game, and loading the save - though a player really shouldn't have to do such, it is what it is...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 08:07 AM   #5871
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

Just survived a furious DC attack...
Something seems weird. I got much equipment badly damaged, included all of my torpedo tubes (some of them were extremely damaged), aft battery, electrical and diesel engines etc, and my aft torpedo room was heavily damaged and therefore fully flooded.... But no "hull-damage" was inflicted... It just remained 0% hull damage till I escaped, back to surface again, repair all damages and keep going on mission...
Old 04-06-18, 08:27 AM   #5872
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
OK, anything in the Guadalcanal area, first of all, let me warn all of you that The Tokyo Express is entirely too frequent, and entirely too good at dropping depth charges on your boat... like killer superman DD, all high-end gear and crews, and I'm talking in October and November of 1942, trying a couple of cdrsubron7's Missions, from the above post of his... sheesh, more Campaign changes coming...

Anyway torpedobait, CapnScurvy is definitely trying to get the radar to function in a more sensible manner, but the game has short-changed the player in more ways than one with these little bugaboos. The use of the "T" key is supposed to control the SD Radar. The <Ctrl><T> combination is the combo to turn the SJ Radar on and off. We have not attempted yet to keep up with the documentation for the mod. Again, check the keyboard chart in that "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" file.

I am forgetting the whole story at this time, but there is a method to the madness, since SH4 is not like the original Silent Hunter, so anything we do for radar (especially) is a work-a-round. Doing another test mission this evening, and I was getting contact reports, apparently from the radar, for surface ships, even though I only had the SD on, so we'll double-check things again, but it's almost like any little thing you do in the game that the game does not like, will result in some quirk that will show itself before long.

In my case, I had paused the game and started MSI AfterBurner to record another unusual occurrence, and then started getting the radar reports... As far back as I can remember, the game has had some rather strange quirks, and a few of them can be gotten rid of (for a time) by saving the game, exiting the game, then re-starting the game, and loading the save - though a player really shouldn't have to do such, it is what it is...
I am more than willing to live with some of those quirks. I do know that if the "T" and/or "CTL-T" keys don't do what I expect I can always use the scope displays to turn things on or off. It is not a joy killer for me. Just wanted to report an apparent anomaly. The rest of the mod is just too good for me to let any little thing become upsetting.

I appreciate the work done by the team to date, and look forward to the next release. Thanks!

Old 04-06-18, 12:35 PM   #5873
propbeanie

Thank you for the thanks, and we are having a "blast" (as in "depth charge in the conn!!!" ) working on the mod. We hope to have a little write-up on what we've found as it relates to the "Stock" game for others to use in the future, though we haven't begun the arm-twisting for someone to be "the gatherer of the knowledge" yet, and we've gotta get RR's computer going full-steam ahead so that he can begin waxing eloquent on user documentation for the mod...

As far as I'm concerned, some of the anomalies we've encountered should not be, but some of them I do know we'll not be able to eliminate, but hopefully a few other things smoothed over and / or ironed-out will help minimize the impact on game-play that some quirks affect. Just fixing some of the date and dds file issues has helped immensely in game load and The Museum operation.

Old 04-07-18, 09:01 AM   #5874
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Speaking of Dates...

Quote:
Thank you for the thanks, and we are having a "blast" (as in "depth charge in the conn!!!" ) working on the mod. We hope to have a little write-up on what we've found as it relates to the "Stock" game for others to use in the future, though we haven't begun the arm-twisting for someone to be "the gatherer of the knowledge" yet, and we've gotta get RR's computer going full-steam ahead so that he can begin waxing eloquent on user documentation for the mod...

As far as I'm concerned, some of the anomalies we've encountered should not be, but some of them I do know we'll not be able to eliminate, but hopefully a few other things smoothed over and / or ironed-out will help minimize the impact on game-play that some quirks affect. Just fixing some of the date and dds file issues has helped immensely in game load and The Museum operation.
In the aforementioned GAR class boat, in September 1942 I had both the SD-1 Improved radar and the SJ-1 Improved. But when I upgraded to USS Balao in mid-October 1942 I had no SJ radar; only the SD-1 Improved. It took two more patrols before I was offered the SJ, and it was the -1 Improved version. Seems odd that it was available for a GAR class boat sailing out of Brisbane in September, but not on a more advanced Balao boat at Mare (Treasure Island, actually) a month or more later. I got it for my second patrol out of Pearl in December 1942. No biggie, just odd. Is that one of those variable mods that comes when the game decides?

Old 04-07-18, 09:44 AM   #5875
propbeanie

Yes... kind-of sort-of, but has been worked on, also by CapnScurvy (his name gets mentioned a ~lot~, eh?). The easiest thing to do is make the different "upgrades" available across all boats at the same time, so that - in theory at least - on the given date, boats that are in-harbor somewhere get the new gear, and those enroute get it upon arrival. No more "early bird" specials...

Old 04-07-18, 03:26 PM   #5876
G Man
Seaman

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Thanks propbeanie, as usual you've outdone yourself!!

So, if MY math is right. The Tench took 46:30 hours to recharge from a 4% capacity battery, @ an "Ahead Standard" speed. The Gato took 47:15 hours to recharge from a 2% capacity battery, at the same engine setting. That sounds about right since both subs have the same propulsion setup.

I just finished monkeying around with some figures and did a test with a Porpoise. I went down to 10% battery capacity, then began my recharge with an "Ahead 1/3rd" engine speed. At the more conservative engine speed, I was able to get 100% recharged after 24:00 hours flat.

So, three things....we need to be on the same page regarding what recharge speed we should use.

Second, I think my tweaking may have produced some of the difference between your recharge time and mine. Although my "Ahead 1/3rd" producing a 3 kt travel speed was putting more energy back into the batteries than a 11 kt "Ahead Standard" speed would.

Third, make sure you've got the Option "Limited Batteries" checkmarked.

I'll "tweaked" some more and will test again.
Capn I ran some tests using RFB 2.0 and got the speeds, discharge and recharge times shown in post 5860. (I think Propbeanie might have been on the depth charge medicine when he replied.) I understand that UBI used SH3 as a basis for SH4 and that causes a lot of problems but the RFB 2.0 figures are about right for a Fleet boat. Am I right in thinking that if it can be made to work for RFB 2.0 it can be made to work for FOTRSU or is there a fault in my reasoning, I don't know anything about programming?
I've just tried a FOTRSU patrol in Japanese home waters in a Balao in 1945. Planes kept me down all day at ahead one third for 12 hours. I surfaced at dusk with the battery down to 64% and ran at ahead one third through the night (12 hours) but could only get the battery back to 88% before having to dive again. After 5 days of this the battery didn't have enough charge to get my through a day submerged and the planes got me. As it stands home waters patrols are a death sentence unless you want to sit submerged at zero speed which Fleet boats couldn't do.
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 04:34 PM   #5877
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
I've just tried a FOTRSU patrol in Japanese home waters in a Balao in 1945. Planes kept me down all day at ahead one third for 12 hours. I surfaced at dusk with the battery down to 64% and ran at ahead one third through the night (12 hours) but could only get the battery back to 88% before having to dive again. After 5 days of this the battery didn't have enough charge to get my through a day submerged and the planes got me. As it stands home waters patrols are a death sentence unless you want to sit submerged at zero speed which Fleet boats couldn't do.
It should take 7 - 8 hrs to fully charge a discharged battery and still run at two-engine speed or approx 15 knots. Also, if ahead 1/3 submerged is 3 knots in FOTRSU you should have had plenty of juice to run 12 hours as you did the first day. Back in v1.1 that was an easy fix to mod, however since v1.2 was released the Dev's did something that nixed the easy battery fix.
This topic from 2007 may be of interest:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109120
It starts with elation until the v1.3 patch was released then changes to confusion, and ends in disappointment.
The chart is copied from the Fleet Boat Submarine Manual. If RFB & TMO could do it, no doubt this team can too.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 04-07-18 at 04:48 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 07:42 PM   #5878
propbeanie

Like I said before, it's been tried, and involves compromises. I realize that I have taken quite a bit of depth-charging the last few days in cdrsubron7's Solomon missions, and someone did manage to sneek some torp juice onboard, but I still don't understand your Balao taking that long to recharge... but rest assured, all aspects of the game are being looked at, and all comments are more than welcome - they do get looked at and considered.

Come to think of it G Man, do that test again, but when you go to re-charge, use Ahead Standard, and see what happens... now - where did I put those figures from FotRSU battery use / charge?...

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-07-18 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Try this...
Old 04-08-18, 02:20 AM   #5879
G Man
Seaman

Thanks Aanker and Propbeanie
It's a bigger problem than my simple brain thought. I'll run the test again and post the figures, I wish I could do more to help but like most people I use computers but don't know how they work.
Old 04-09-18, 04:43 PM   #5880
G Man
Seaman

I did the test again. FOTRSU Tench class January 1945. I couldn't get the battery below 2% and the speed stayed at 1 knot. When I surfaced I went to ahead standard and it took 42 hours 8 minutes to recharge the battery to 100%.