Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-18, 05:39 AM   #31
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
[...] I presume you mean after the storage capacity has been reached?
Yes, in a way. As long as it is not full, old blocks will not be overwritten if you add new data. But if you change old data like a new version of a Word document/template or whatever, the old info will be wiped and the new written (changed). And this only works for a limited number of writing events.

Quote:
This one of mine is not even half full of squirrels, so I guess you mean that once it's full then I can only change the squirrels for new ones a limited number of times?
Yes. However if you keep it at 50 percent data volume, and often change the existing 50 percent, it will also fail after the critical number has been reached. It really depends on how often you change/rewrite existing data.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 05:39 AM   #32
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
... some say our times will become known as the "low information age", because data of this time stored in contemporary devices will not be accessible in a few decades from now – either because the storage containers broke down (like with CDs appx. 20 years of usability, or HDs with appx. 5 years until first errors and later failure) or because there will be no new computers being able to connect to the old hardware.
Microsoft has already given up on downward compatibility in a lot of cases, and this is the only company that at least used to think about that.
Yes I heard a radio programme recently about our over-reliance on current storage hardware which may not be accessible in years from now.
Old 01-10-18, 05:43 AM   #33
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks for all that, Catfish. Are you at work??
Old 01-10-18, 06:03 AM   #34
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Is your boss there? Oh....
Old 01-10-18, 06:10 AM   #35
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon12

^
a) yes
b) no
But i don't admit anything, also i could be lying

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 07:02 AM   #36
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Note that what Catfish says about USB sticki memory, is also true for SSDs. Thats why it is recommendable that if yiu use a single SSD for your OS alone, to pick one of comfortably bigger size, not one that just is big enough to carry the OS and its to be expected updates. SSDs have a certain ammount of hidden reserve blocks that get used once the ordinary, open" ones all are used or dead, but they are limited in numbers, of course. You here have the explanation why SSDs shold not be defragmentised. That suffles a lot of data around the memory blocks, and that reduces the overall lifetime of the SSD. Moden OS use the TRIM command instead.

With USB sticks, you may also get low quality of the used components, and they break once the thing gots hot, or power going through them for too long in a straigth time. Simply bad component quality. even well known brands can be affected by this.

And never buy these sticks blindly in a store. Do research and check customer feedbacks, many USB 3.0 sticks that promise high speeds, may indeed deliver speeds in the range of USB 2.0, or even worse, if you are unlucky.

Compare read and writr speeds, and decide on your priorities according to what you need the stick for. If you need it as a long time data safe, low writing times may be okay, but reading times never should send you into the dumbs. If you expect to read and write to thr stick a lot, you need good writing times as well.

Do not buy too cheap if it is USB 3.0.

Also note that USB 2.0 -extension cables plugged into an USB 3 port, will turn every USB 3 stick into an USB 2.0 speed stick. You need dedicated USB 3 extension cables, and these again vary in quality and speed. I had some people who wonderd why their 3.0 device was slow while they attached it ti a USB 3 connector, but via an USB 2 cable. The quality of USB 3 cables also can widely vary in speed, even may not transport all data correctly, especially when the sent signla already is more on the weak side.
Old 01-10-18, 07:55 AM   #37
Skybird
Soaring

SitRep and assessment of the status quo, outlook.

https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/20...d-perspective/

Many very good links in that text.
Old 01-10-18, 10:27 AM   #38
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks for that great info, Sky. Is there power going through your USB stick only when you have it 'open' on the desktop, or is power going through it as soon as it's plugged into your pc?
Old 01-10-18, 10:32 AM   #39
Skybird
Soaring

Does that LED in your stick light up without power? In my understanding every USB connected device is under power when it is plugge din. Even passive pedals of your hardware controller. How else could the OS detect and list them in the hardware manager? Different it might only be with electric devices connected that have an on-off siwtch, say a digital camera. My small one or my smartphone only gets reocngised when connected when I indeed switch them on (from cold and dark, not from standby, for standby means they are on).

I said "when power moves thorugh the device", but mind you: I was referruing to bad quality component. Usually, with good stick that shoudk be no real problem.Consider all the professional software suits that only run with a plugged-in dongle... That dongle is left in by many users even if that software is not run. We would have a flood of complaints, if that kills these dongles in masses. In principle a dongle is just a USB-stick.
Old 01-10-18, 12:21 PM   #40
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks... although none of my usb sticks has an LED
Old 01-10-18, 12:54 PM   #41
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I have a few USB the smallest is 4GB and the biggest is 1TB

The one with 1 TB is connected to my TV (PVR)

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 03:37 PM   #42
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^
a) yes
b) no
But i don't admit anything, also i could be lying
You could have a promising future in politics...

<O>
Old 01-11-18, 07:18 AM   #43
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

My preferred kit:

Kingston 64GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive - 100MB/s

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 08:43 AM   #44
Skybird
Soaring

I used Transcend Jetflash USB 2.0 for man yyears, and many sticks on various systems by various owners, with 8, 16 and 32 GB. Maybe 15 sticks - and not one fail.

For 2.0 they are no longer build, unfortunately, but I now have two USB 3.0 sticks of this series, wich work since over one year, without problems.

In the past ten years or so, I have lost maybe 8 or 10 sticks by other brands. Lost to techncial malfunctioning, I mean. All were no no-names, but well- known brands.

Its difficult to find lasting, good ones, and you need a bit of luck, too, it seems. The proven brands may fall victim for one charge of weak componentsm, say ROM bars, and the next charge they get from the same sub-contractor then again work flawless.

If you need long-time conservation of archives, lets say family pictures, go with a proven model of HD. And make not one but two or three copies, can be to DVD if file size allows. For long time storage, USB sticks would only be my last choice, also for economical reasons.

P.S. If the speed is not needed, stay away from so-called extreme speed models. Their speed gain comes at a cost: heat. And heat and electronics are no close friends. No every action with a stick lasts long enough to produce that heat, but if you write large files, and many such files in one session, then it can happen. Its a risk factor.
Old 01-11-18, 01:44 PM   #45
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
This would explain my computer... the dual-core AMD "whatever-it-is" core... No known way to recover... So I guess I'll just install Linux on top of it...

The USB, or any "electronic" storage device is very finite due to its physical characteristics. They're like little capacitors that hold a charge, but eventually physically wear out from use. It used to be that you could get one thousand state changes out of early compact cards, but I haven't kept up with what their MTBF rate is now - much less than a HD, but not a BD-RW or similar.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote