SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-16, 03:10 PM   #571
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
No worries mate!

Billy.
Hey Billy

My WIFI is still FUBARED, but my nephew showed me how to turn my phone into a WIFI hotspot for my PC
I am online again

I have downloaded your missions and will take a look

Please feel free to delete them from Google Drive

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 03:13 PM   #572
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
I usually turn off the radar!
SD however does not shut off.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 03:19 PM   #573
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm getting really close to finishing my work
Outstanding work Capn
One of the reasons I have stuck with TMO for so long is because it included Vickers beautiful interiors
I am so glad you have managed to integrate it into FOTRSU

That cannot have been easy

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-08-16, 03:54 PM   #574
max-peck
Grey Wolf

XYBilly - please see PM

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-08-16, 04:03 PM   #575
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
SD however does not shut off.
That... IS a fact!
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 04:36 PM   #576
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Currently researching WWII era submersible boat procedures now for proper vernacular and implementation... big words for "I'm trying"... :wink:

------------------------

In the meantime, I have another question for the wizards of the project, or anyone in the know: Looking at the "Named" folders in the Sh.sdl file of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific v1.5 - if I look at the Submarine folder, there are 18 folders of different boat classifications, Allied & Axis, including an AI and a Japanese boat. If I look in the Interior folder, there are 6. I am assuming that several of the folders are "shared" among classes, such as Gar/Gato and others of similar "build", and only of the boats that a "human" operator could get inside? One US captains cabin folder, one German, shared among all boats of their respective nations?

This is like a spider's web, trying to wade through the structure of the game. At least there's something to wade through though. Some games don't let a user see anything "mod-able".
_
That sound's great. I wish you luck and I just want to say that it's apparent that this team is doing a great job on this. I want to thank all of you for your work and I am looking forward to this.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 05:14 PM   #577
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Hey XTBilly

I have just checked out your single missions, they looked mostly OK, there were just a few things that were tripping you up.

Hope you do not mind me posting them here, but it may help somebody else in the future who is trying to use the ME

The main problem was the date range
This is found in Mission/Parameters

As you can see for some reason it defaults to 1940. Because the game itself does not start until Dec 7th 1941 (for obvious reasons!) this means that any mission you make with the default date will only have your sub and nothing else.
I am guessing the the ME was an afterthought carried over from SH3, and nobody thought to change the start date!
Change the date to 1943 (or something ) and your missions would have loaded

A few minor issues - nothing serious
In the Single Missions Menu, all the missions were called 'Periscope Test', and they all had exactly the same description.
I am assuming you started with one mission from a mod and just duplicated it?
This is going to make it very difficult to select the mission you want

Fixing that is easy - but it is not obvious where these things are located. As RR said - the ME shipped with absolutely no documentation - so we are left with trial and error!

The mission name and description are found under Mission/Language Localisation (yeah I know, the mission name should surely be the same as what you have called it when you are saving it. Bad news - it isn't)

If you click on the Mission Briefing or Mission Title in the top box, the bottom box will let you type in the text that you will actually see in the single mission menu

You already figured out that you needed to place the enemy ships marked as 'docked', with a max speed of zero knots
This is good
But a few more points if you need to make any more test missions

You had your sub heading north at about 160 feet, but all the Japanese ships are set up west of you
I have changed your missions so you start at periscope depth heading 270 degrees

Believe me - if you are testing things time and time again after a while you really want to start in a good firing position, taking time to come up to PD and change your heading will just start to annoy you

I have fixed your test missions and will be sending them to you very shortly
Stand by for a PM

EDIT
One last thing I have just remembered - and it is real important
I noticed all of your missions are just outside Pearl
Do not be surprised if US forces turn up at some point to shoot the scheisse out of all the stationary Japanese ships you have just docked off the coast

This could be viewed as either an error, or a bonus

Reason being - the single mission file you make lays over the top of whatever campaign layer is active for that month. If you think about it this makes sense - otherwise every time somebody scripted a single mission, they would have to script in the entire IJN and Japanese Merchant marine across the globe!

If you are going to make any more single test missions I suggest choosing an out of the way spot in the Pacific thousands of miles from anywhere

FOTRS Ultimate

Last edited by max-peck; 07-08-16 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 05:37 PM   #578
max-peck
Grey Wolf

PS at Billy

I think I have sent you the PM with your fixed missions, but again I can see nothing in my sent box
If you have not recieved the link please let me know

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-08-16, 06:08 PM   #579
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Hey,guys. Question for you all. One thing I find somewhat annoying in FOTRS, maybe you guys do also. It has to do with the harbor traffic and the aircraft when you leave on patrol from your base. Could anything be done to lessen having to lean on the TC key just to leave port?
I agree with Billy, I turn off the radar, but it still goes to 1x every few seconds. And we're stuck. If we turn off the downshift to 1x for friendlies, we also don't slow down TC for enemies. That could be fatal. The devs made the mistake of not dividing contacts between friend and foe so we could deal with it.

Turning off radar has some effect but not enough. I don't know everything about how the game works but this is probably a hard-wired snafu that really can't be fixed.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 09:14 PM   #580
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Does the stock game "identify" the contact with a blue for friendly, and a red for enemy on the chart for just sight contacts (with map updates), or does it do it for other contact types also?...

I'm sure someone has already posted this on the site previously, but I did find something at maritime dot org called Standard Submarine Phraseology, which is apparently part of the Submarine Telephone Talkers' Manual. Cool stuff.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 10:53 PM   #581
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I agree with Billy, I turn off the radar, but it still goes to 1x every few seconds. And we're stuck. If we turn off the downshift to 1x for friendlies, we also don't slow down TC for enemies. That could be fatal. The devs made the mistake of not dividing contacts between friend and foe so we could deal with it.

Turning off radar has some effect but not enough. I don't know everything about how the game works but this is probably a hard-wired snafu that really can't be fixed.

I've been doing this with FOTRS for many years. If the first solution does not work how about moving the starting position further away from base?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-16, 12:51 AM   #582
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I've been doing this with FOTRS for many years. If the first solution does not work how about moving the starting position further away from base?
To be fair - if you are going to do that you may as well just choose the start at sea option?

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-09-16, 01:32 AM   #583
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105

Scratch double post
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-16, 01:34 AM   #584
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105

Thank you for the response on night filter Max-Peck, that was just what I was looking for. I waited to post response as not to clutter this thread.

I have also found tc contacts annoying, my solution was to head NW after Oahu island and WNW past Kauai island completing my direction to Midway to top off tanks and provisions. This greatly lessened contacts but the occasional task forces going the same way north through island pass.

Good looking work! To all the TEAM! Making great progress!

Fith
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-16, 01:52 AM   #585
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post
Thank you for the response on night filter Max-Peck, that was just what I was looking for. I waited to post response as not to clutter this thread.

I have also found tc contacts annoying, my solution was to head NW after Oahu island and WNW past Kauai island completing my direction to Midway to top off tanks and provisions. This greatly lessened contacts but the occasional task forces going the same way north through island pass.

Good looking work! To all the TEAM! Making great progress!

Fith
You can be sure that you're not cluttering the thread more than me... Thanks for your support.

Max, I think I've got it now. Cheers mate!

Now that I'm really ready to test the ships, I'll report hopefully tonight, no later than tomorrow.

Regards,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote