Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-15, 09:04 PM   #196
nipip
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
As I said, they also keep getting worse, which is the best reason not to want another Silent Hunter. As for suspension of disbelief, if you can live with truly ancient graphics then 1994's Aces Of the Deep and 1996's Silent Hunter (the original) still have the best and most immersive gameplay of them all.
Hi, just registered to post this
I played a lot with Aces of the Deep when it was "state of the art" graphics!!!
Aesthetic is as important as physics, and SH5 is better than AotD, sorry.
Maybe if they could update sh3 with a new engine....
nipip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 04:35 AM   #197
Kensai7
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

I am old enough (but was in elementary school back then!) to remember probably one of the first (if not the first!) submarine simulations that ever came out. We have gone a long way from there, you can play it online nowadays. I still recall the mission to sink the captured U570 which was so difficult, especially if the rival sub was submerged. You can try it yourself now, courtesy of the Internet Archive.

Enjoy!

That said, I truly hope and believe there will be more sub simulations in the future. I think the Silent Hunter series has nailed the spirit quite well. But they need to get their priorities right. As I said earlier: content is not the problem, modders usually provide better stuff. What we need is a good game infrastructure and engine so the whole project is easily moddable and up-to-date to 2015 graphics and physics capabilities. A new sub simulation game should play and take advantage of widescreens and high resolutions (such as the new 21:9 monitors) without patches!

Last edited by Kensai7; 01-13-15 at 04:55 AM.
Kensai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 09:53 AM   #198
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipip View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Quote:
To some people. Others, such as myself, will take what we consider a great game over a pretty one every time. SH3 is the compromise between the two, at least for me.

Quote:
On that we're agreed. Even better, an Aces 2.
Old 01-13-15, 10:03 AM   #199
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipip View Post
I played a lot with Aces of the Deep when it was "state of the art" graphics!!!
I must be one of the few that never played AotD and each of us have our own ideas regarding what is best to them, to me a fully functioning game is more important than eye candy.

Welcome Aboard

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 11:23 AM   #200
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

nipip! Some of us R still playin' AoD & DC

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 12:11 PM   #201
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome nipip to SUBSIM

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 12:38 PM   #202
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > nipip

You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You

Link To My > SH3SH4 – SH5 > Posts

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It.

Also Included Are Some Useful Download Links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804

If You Are New To Subsim or Silent Hunter My Thread Link Might Save You Some Time.

Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 10:11 AM   #203
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai7 View Post
If a SH6 ever came out, which I surely hope, then Ubisoft's work could be (counterintuitively!) rather limited!

Let me explain why. Most modern games that succeed and become classics are heavily modded anyway. Ubisoft has to simply get the mechanics right, content can always come later by successful modders. I personally don't care about extreme graphics and super complete scenarios, not because I would not play them (I would!), but because I am positive they will come later in all possible nuances by gifted modders anyway.

Modders usually don't have the resources to create something in the first place, not tweak it or expand it. Thus, in my humble opinion, Ubisoft Romania must get back to the drawing board of SH3 and deliver it to us with better graphics and physics. No need for new content other than getting it up to 2015 standards and an easily moddable infrastructure. I look at what Arma3 or IL2 CoD has achieved and it is fairly possible! Rerelease SH3 as SH6 with an up-to-date easily moddable infrastructure and the magic will happen!

...so true
exactly my thoughts too on what they should have done.
now, at these days, the devs team of sh3 doesn't exist anymore so our hopes (my hope) is on individual efforts like,for example, a kickstarter project or on this (which looks really really promising!):
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=264

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 10:14 AM   #204
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
...so true
exactly my thoughts too on what they should have done.
now, at these days, the devs team of sh3 doesn't exist anymore so our hopes (my hope) is on individual efforts like,for example, a kickstarter project or on this (which looks really really promising!):
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=264
I have been having a look at this as well. It does look promising

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 05:32 PM   #205
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13

Fun to read this thread that started in 2010, thinking SH6 was on the way.

5 years later, how things have changed.
Old 02-04-15, 02:35 AM   #206
doctrine
Mate

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai7 View Post
I am old enough (but was in elementary school back then!) to remember probably one of the first (if not the first!) submarine simulations that ever came out. We have gone a long way from there, you can play it online nowadays. I still recall the mission to sink the captured U570 which was so difficult, especially if the rival sub was submerged. You can try it yourself now, courtesy of the Internet Archive.

Enjoy!

[...]
Woooww, a blast from the past!! So cool, thanks for sharing ! I remember i was around 8 when i first played this at a friends house (since we didn't had a computer). As I look at it know, i think we didn't even know what we were doing. But wow it was fun!!
doctrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 08:02 AM   #207
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

Maybe Oculus Rift will inspire someone, I mean what a great use of the tech that would be
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 08:49 AM   #208
cherbert
Engineer

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBANGtheory View Post
Maybe Oculus Rift will inspire someone, I mean what a great use of the tech that would be
I would love to be able to play SH5 in the rift.

I can't believe its been 5 years now since SH5 came out.
cherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 07:12 PM   #209
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Features I'd like to see

SH5 is a gripping simulation and the way that the SH series allows time compression makes it back into a game rather than the months of boredom followed by moments of sheer terror that I'm sure was the real life U-Boat experience. Travel-mode in SH5 is a nice step in the right direction but it should be more customize-able and more of the day-to-day management of the u-boat should be optionally delegate-able to the AI.

I'm impressed by the detailed sinking data and the way that it's presented over at UBoat.net I'd love to see in-game sinkings tracked and presented as is done there with Google Maps http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/lo...?qdate=1939-09

Also, I'm a long time fan of the Hornblower series of novels. I'd love to see more character driven story telling aspects worked into the missions. BTW... does anyone know of a good sim that is set in the Napoleanic era? Wouldn't it be great to command a sloop of war with the opportunity to move up to a frigate and possible even a three-decker? Or am I the only one that has mused on the fact that U-Boaters spent an awful lot of time trying to manage the very thing that Napoleanic era skippers tried to avoid? Crossing the "T"? Or getting their crossed in the case of submariners.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 08:12 PM   #210
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
SH5 is a gripping simulation and the way that the SH series allows time compression makes it back into a game rather than the months of boredom followed by moments of sheer terror that I'm sure was the real life U-Boat experience. Travel-mode in SH5 is a nice step in the right direction but it should be more customize-able and more of the day-to-day management of the u-boat should be optionally delegate-able to the AI.
I completely disagree. To my mind SH5 eliminates the very factors that made AOtD and SH3 such great sims. SH2 was heavily criticized for giving players a canned campaign that repeated itself over and over, like a first person shooter. When it was announced in 2004 that SH3 would have a similar campaign system we, the intended audience, raised such a ruckus that the dev team took polls and ultimately bowed to our wishes. When they said that changing that would delay the release for six months (original release was set for September 2004) we said we didn't care. SH4 followed that, but SH5 has gone right back to the scripted campaign, demanding the player fulfill mission requirements that the real captains never heard of.

Quote:
I'm impressed by the detailed sinking data and the way that it's presented over at UBoat.net
Those very listings are a part of the basis for my Ship Names mod for SH3 Commander. The other is a copy of Robert Jordan's The World's Merchant Fleets - 1939.

Quote:
Also, I'm a long time fan of the Hornblower series of novels. I'd love to see more character driven story telling aspects worked into the missions.
As am I. Neal and I have had a friendly argument for years over which we prefer, Forester or O'Brian. As for story-telling, how would you see that implemented? For me the concept of a sub sim is to run the submarine and fight the war. I personally believe the whole 'talking to the crew' thing in SH5 to be a step in the wrong direction.

But that's just me.