SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-08, 12:05 AM   #16
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
Some people ... report that the registry entries which I discussed/named do not exist, although I find that impossible.
I uninstalled the game using "Start" -> "All Programs" -> "Ubisoft" -> "Silent Hunter" -> "Uninstall" instead of the option in Control Panel. Afterward, the only remaining folder was one for Ubisoft in the main Program Files directory ... nothing remained in "My Computer".

Launching Regedit, I did find a Silent Hunter folder in the "\Software\Ubisoft" section and deleted it. Doing a search for the key you said would be in "\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", I found it ... but not where you said it would be. It was in "\CurrentVersion\ARPCache". I did not delete that one.
Hmmm..."ARPcache"...interesting. Can't say what the different location might signify. Of course, I am using VISTA and that might (probably) be different than other OS versions, XP etc....
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:44 AM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Doolittle, stick to your guns, man! PC Pitstop, PC World, PC Magazine and a plethora of others have warned that you use the registry auto-cleaners at your peril. They may do just what they say, but you'll never know unless you manually check it out anyway. Your computer may just refuse to boot. Or they may not really clear what you want cleared.

Only hands-on manual manipulation unambiguously gets the job done. Anything else is little better than wishful thinking.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 03:52 PM   #18
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Doolittle, stick to your guns, man! Only hands-on manual manipulation unambiguously gets the job done. Anything else is little better than wishful thinking.
Agreed. Manual manipulation is always best ... even when it comes to installing SH4 mods.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 09:11 PM   #19
JHuschke
XO

Downloads: 32

Thank you, if it wasn't for you all of us hillybilly rednecks in Alabama that game would have never found out how to play!

I wish the gaming companies could fix all their problems before they started selling them
JHuschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 02:05 AM   #20
Diopos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by G00BER
I wish the gaming companies could fix all their problems before they started selling them
Selling the games or the problems????

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Diopos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 07:26 AM   #21
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diopos
Selling the games or the problems????
Don't give them any ideas

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:03 AM   #22
rhohltjr
Mate

Downloads: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins

...This thread needs to be retitled to "First solution to unexplained crashes, ...
Finally! My unexplained crashes drove me to completely uninstall SHIV and not reinstall it. I must not have been the only one suffering through this...(well, while SHIV was still on the HD) . Are there any bug fixes in the 1.5 thing?
Old 09-12-08, 10:49 AM   #23
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhohltjr
Finally! My unexplained crashes drove me to completely uninstall SHIV and not reinstall it. I must not have been the only one suffering through this...(well, while SHIV was still on the HD) . Are there any bug fixes in the 1.5 thing?
Well, actually SH4 was wonderfully stable in the 1.3 and 1.4 patches. Almost all the time when the game crashed then and now was stupid mod tricks. This is where you accidentally uninstall mods out of order producing conflicts in your configuation files. Even very experienced players have had it happen. I include myself here. That's why I jumped on Doolittle's great post in an obscure thread and pressed to have it stickied here.

Actually it is much harder to mess up your game with the newest version of JSGME, which shades mods that heve been walked on by subsequently installed mods in gray. Mods which can safely be uninstalled in any order are listed in black. When you uninstall a mod that overwrites part of a previously installed mod, the mod it was overwriting turns black (if yet another mod is not still tramping on it). Mods in black are safe to remove. I've done some pretty complex setups and teardowns and had no problems with the new JSGME. Go get it and save yourself some headaches!
Old 09-12-08, 12:26 PM   #24
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Are there any bug fixes in the 1.5 thing?
There seems to be at least one new bug: in multiplayer, Random setups cause all but the host to crash.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 09:50 PM   #25
rhohltjr
Mate

[quote=Rockin RobbinsWell, actually SH4 was wonderfully stable in the 1.3 and 1.4 patches. ...[/quote]

Not for me. I patched and played and crashed for no obvious reason with every patch. 1.4 was the same as the others. I do enjoy using the mods the creative guys work on and really can't see playing without a few. I don't remember unistalling any before any crashes. I asked for help on this forum but never had anyone reply,... so off the HD it went. You are the first to offer up any sort of advice and I thank you !!
Old 09-12-08, 09:52 PM   #26
rhohltjr
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Quote:
Are there any bug fixes in the 1.5 thing?
There seems to be at least one new bug: in multiplayer, Random setups cause all but the host to crash.
That's sad! I asked if there were any bug fixes in the U-boat thing and you say there is an additional bug .....
Old 09-22-08, 02:44 PM   #27
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default It works!

It worked for me!
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 08:42 AM   #28
rhohltjr
Mate

No change here.

[quote=rhohltjr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin RobbinsWell, actually SH4 was wonderfully stable in the 1.3 and 1.4 patches. ...[/quote

Not for me. I patched and played and crashed for no obvious reason with every patch. 1.4 was the same as the others. I do enjoy using the mods the creative guys work on and really can't see playing without a few. I don't remember unistalling any before any crashes. ....
I went ahead and reinstalled using the newest JSGME and all "seemed" to work better, however I had a very familiar CTD after crossing the Pacific and ending up in Tokyo Bay. Just like always.

AMD Dual Core 5600, 8GIG ram, XFX 8800GS vid card, WinXP 64.
RSRDC 1.4. various uniform and medal mods, sea floor mods. Air layer mod.
3000 yard tool mod.
Old 09-23-08, 10:43 AM   #29
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Have you tried pulling out your mods one by one to see if one them has a conflict? For instant if the air layer mod has a kind of airplane that doesn't fit the game database, as soon as one of that airplane comes in sight the game will CTD. You'd have to talk to a modder for a better explanation.

Play the game totally stock. Then as everything works OK (I hope), plug in your mods one at a time until you have your problem. That's the one!
Old 09-24-08, 08:49 PM   #30
Rcsubs
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Default Still having trouble reinstalling sh4

I am having trouble reinstalling SH4, I followed all the instructions listed and I can not find the hot key uninstall entry to delete( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall{{0D005F09-A5F4-473B-A901-5735C6AF5628} key, the only HKEY entry that I can find even close to SH4 is for SHIII. I have removed all directorys and or files relating to SH4, the weired thing is I incert the SH4 dvd/cd and nothing happens, I can not access the software disk at all, it is like the drive is empty. I am running windows xp sp, nvidia video card.

Does SH4 have some kind of software protection program that was installed during the sh4 game install???

Help please!!!
Darrell
Rcsubs is offline   Reply With Quote