SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-17-12, 10:59 AM   #1021
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

On the DDs sinking, do they just sink or blow up before? I have had the issue where DDs will blow themselves up with their own DCs if they set them too shallow, although that is infrequent.

See post #674 above for a screenshot.
Old 12-17-12, 03:53 PM   #1022
bidius
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
On the DDs sinking, do they just sink or blow up before? I have had the issue where DDs will blow themselves up with their own DCs if they set them too shallow, although that is infrequent.

See post #674 above for a screenshot.
If I recall correctly, It only happened at enemy docks that were defended by destroyers, they had a very "wobbly" appearance, after they spotted me they'd pull a wide turn and then accelerate and the acceleration would sink themselves.

It happened a while ago but I did have the mods I mentioned earlier and no others installed at the time.

I just wanted to address the two issues I had with the mod before diving in again.

And yes, I had heard of the destroyers sinking themselves with Depth Charges, but I never had that happen, It was always the acceleration that did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
The file that probably caused the destroyer to sink when it accelerated could be the specific .sim file for each ship found in the Data/Sea/NDD_SHIPSNAME folder. Take for instance the Fubuki DD, to find the proper file look in "Data/Sea/NDD_Fubuki/NDD_Fubuki.sim". Open the .sim file with S3D and find the "unit_Ship" node. Under this heading you'll find the weight, center of gravity, displacement, propulsion, etc. parameters. It's probably one of these that's out of whack.

The trouble of tweaking some of these parameters is that when one thing is changed, several other things may be effected too. It's been an issue since the game was released that the mechanics of the enemy ships were like Corvettes accelerating from the line. Zero to sixty in four seconds flat!! So, folks took to making the ships heavier, or taking away it's propulsion, or doing other things to create a more realistic response. Is this what happened with the particular RFB destroyer? Maybe, only looking under the hood (and knowing what you're looking at) will tell the tale.
I did take a look at those files a while back and figured I'd start there, thanks for the advice Capn!
bidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 06:11 PM   #1023
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidius View Post

ah, you say that but you don't truly mean it, it takes so much of the fun away. :P
True, but just once, while they are pounding my eardrums with their DCs, it would be fun to have one sink himself. :F
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 12:36 PM   #1024
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidius
It only happened at enemy docks that were defended by destroyers, they had a very "wobbly" appearance, after they spotted me they'd pull a wide turn and then accelerate and the acceleration would sink themselves.

That sounds very familiar! I mentioned earlier of seeing ships rock violently with calm seas.

When doing my test missions for correcting ship height/length, I'll place each stationary ship in a circle around a sub. Knowing its true distance from the sub, I'll use a math formula to determine the accurate height of the point used by the stadimeter. That's how I correct the height measurement found in the Recognition Manual for Optical Targeting Correction. It's been a while ago, but I remember seeing a ship rocking back and forth that was almost too much to get a good stadimeter measurement. I remember going into the mission and turning up the wind factor to see what would happen. The ship sank within a couple of minutes all by itself. Regrettably, I don't remember which ship it was, or which mod I was using (hey.....I'm at the age where I forget what I've done with my beer!). It could have been RFB 2.0 because I did have the ships corrected for dimensions before losing my hard disk a couple of months back.

I'll be revisiting my test missions soon to check all RFB+RSRDC ships. I'll probably find it again. I'm still trying to fix a few things as I come up on them with RFB+RSRDC. I've found six different planes without sound files. Also a couple of other issues with reversed bow ship wakes or no wake at all. Just little stuff that shouldn't be in the game.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 09:45 PM   #1025
canecao
Swabbie

Downloads: 34

Hello ,

Im having some problems with SH4 RFB 2.0 ....

Im Noob at manual fire and map upload really helps, i have the RFB 2.0 with the feb 20 patch and i can't get to get it to work....

I have the hidrofones line "patch" but im reaaly can't seem to get the map updates to work....

If you can help...

Thanks all
Canecao
canecao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 04:09 AM   #1026
bidius
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by canecao View Post
Hello ,

Im having some problems with SH4 RFB 2.0 ....

Im Noob at manual fire and map upload really helps, i have the RFB 2.0 with the feb 20 patch and i can't get to get it to work....

I have the hidrofones line "patch" but im reaaly can't seem to get the map updates to work....

If you can help...

Thanks all
Canecao
Hrm, although I don't fully understand what you are asking, I'm going to guess that you mean you can't see enemy ships on the map because of the fact they show up as dots in RFB...

so lemme point you to a mod that brings back most of the stock map icons.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=168887

Oh and if that's not the issue, it could be because you aren't setting your difficulty correctly.

if that's the case, start a new career, and before going on your first mission click on the radio on the far left of the screen ontop of the bookshelf, it should bring up the options menu, select difficulty and make sure you uncheck "No map updates".

Happy hunting, oh and Merry Christmas if you're into that.
bidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 03:46 PM   #1027
canecao
Swabbie

Downloads: 34

Thanks a lot a give it a try, i have my settings right , i could manage with the dot but when i isntall RSRD e only get a square if a zoom even that is gone soo im having troble with the angle of targaet's :p

Thankx a lot

Merry Christmas to all

AND A VERRY VERRY STRONG THANKS to all pepol evolving in the mod's they are simply great
canecao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-12, 10:20 AM   #1028
Calbeck
Sailor man

Downloads: 31

Checking out RFB for the first time... haven't played SH4 in AGES, mainly because somehow I managed to mod it last time to the point where every torpedo would run underneath a target and never detonate... not even if I ran up to minimum range first!

So let's see how this goes...
Old 12-20-12, 12:21 PM   #1029
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

RFB is an awesome mod, and the most realistic IMO. It is a real shame that updating seems to have come to a halt on this mod. It's a real loss as far as I'm concerned
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-12, 03:39 PM   #1030
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
RFB is an awesome mod, and the most realistic IMO. It is a real shame that updating seems to have come to a halt on this mod. It's a real loss as far as I'm concerned
When I get through doing my Optical Targeting Correction mod for RFB+RSRDC there should be more improvements than just adding the the visual scope correction. As I've done with the OTC version for TMO where I tried to correct or add new content as the need appeared. I'm doing the same thing with RFB. Like I said a couple of posts back, there are planes without engine sounds, one ship (the Paula freighter) without a bow/stern wake, another with the bow wake reversed, and the Museum will provide a quick trip back to the desktop when you come up on the right model. I'm still having trouble figuring out the reversed bow wake issue, but the rest are fixed and working as they should (actually the Paula never had a bow wake before.....apparently a stock game issue).

I'll be tweaking the radar as in the other OTC mods, finally making it usable. I'll also be looking at the sonar/hydrophone issue of not picking up a reasonable target when we should. Another issue is to look at the DD that seems unbalanced when it appears to accelerate. Little stuff that takes time to fix and test before releasing.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-12, 04:44 PM   #1031
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Captn Scurvey, your work is greatly appreciated, believe me. I'm looking forwards to your OTC mod for RFB. I only wish Tater would release his Japanese Merchant Marine mod he was working on. I know he ran into some graphic issues with flickering textures, as well as some real life issues. This mod plus RSRD is an awesome package! And yes, I am an RFB fanboy in case you couldn't tell
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-12, 09:45 PM   #1032
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Ditto!
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-13, 12:32 PM   #1033
190Spearfish
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 16
SHO Mod

Thanks very much for the awesome Mod! Outstanding work!
190Spearfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 01:49 PM   #1034
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
RFB is an awesome mod, and the most realistic IMO. It is a real shame that updating seems to have come to a halt on this mod. It's a real loss as far as I'm concerned:nope:
Ditto - a real bummer.

Berry, RFB, RIP and thank you guys who picked it up when Berry left eons ago.

The story of my life....... I become enthusiastic about something after it is 'Fine' - (Italian) - final, ended, over - (English :)

Would have liked to see a patch for the 'donation' NARWHAL in RFB - now there is no NARWHAL and no donation is necessary (but still nice to do), however I wanted to be specific about which NARWHAL.

Has anyone succeeded in patching the 'donation' NARWHAL into RFB's career mode and kept the 6" guns?

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 04:15 PM   #1035
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
When I get through doing my Optical Targeting Correction mod for RFB+RSRDC there should be more improvements than just adding the the visual scope correction. As I've done with the OTC version for TMO where I tried to correct or add new content as the need appeared. I'm doing the same thing with RFB. Like I said a couple of posts back, there are planes without engine sounds, one ship (the Paula freighter) without a bow/stern wake, another with the bow wake reversed, and the Museum will provide a quick trip back to the desktop when you come up on the right model. I'm still having trouble figuring out the reversed bow wake issue, but the rest are fixed and working as they should (actually the Paula never had a bow wake before.....apparently a stock game issue).

I'll be tweaking the radar as in the other OTC mods, finally making it usable. I'll also be looking at the sonar/hydrophone issue of not picking up a reasonable target when we should. Another issue is to look at the DD that seems unbalanced when it appears to accelerate. Little stuff that takes time to fix and test before releasing.
Thanks for adding some more goodies.