SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-12, 06:11 PM   #1006
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

drakkhen20, I would guess that OM would probably conflict with RFB, as it does with TMO. You would probably have to make a stand alone version of RFB geared towards the Uboat campaigns.

From what I understand, it conflicts with the core files.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 09:58 PM   #1007
Soviet Creeper
Planesman

Downloads: 143

I thought taht RFB 1.52 was compatible with OM. I may be wrong though.
Old 07-11-12, 10:01 PM   #1008
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

it says it in the readme but it doesnt say in what order. no spiciefics.
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-12, 03:18 PM   #1009
IonicRipper
Engineer

Downloads: 103

I have a question about Hogan's Alley...

When rigging for depth charge, do i have to move every single men from the deck watch or simply the ones that are on duty? The manual isn't clear on that. (Or maybe i just didn't understand.)

The reason i ask is because there is not enough slots to move every enlisted men from the deck watch to Hogan's Alley.
Old 11-26-12, 05:39 PM   #1010
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

The OOD and the 2 senior EMs move to the 3 empty billets in the control room. The two EMs are the missing planesmen! Move them to the control room and you will see them there, manning the planes. The 2 junior EMs go to Hogans' Alley, where they are available for relief if needed - to free up a PO for the damage control party, for example. EVERYBODY must clear the deck or they will be burgered if you are depth charged. As far as SH4 is concerned, anyone assigned to topside duty is outside the hull, whether they are on or off watch. BTW, by extension of this "logic", off-duty topsiders are vulnerable to injury if you are bombed or fired upon while surfaced.

Thanks, UberSoft. Splendid job!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-12, 06:19 PM   #1011
IonicRipper
Engineer

Thanks for the info.

Also, this might sound stupid... How exactly can i bring up the stopwatch? The button seems to have been changed and i cannot find a way to bring it up anymore.
Old 11-26-12, 07:55 PM   #1012
Bubblehead729
Sailor man

Downloads: 49

IIRC the keyboard shortcut for the stopwatch is the "X" key.
Old 12-07-12, 08:06 PM   #1013
IonicRipper
Engineer

Having another issue now: I no longer have a deck gun on my S-boat!

I can't say for sure when it happened as i rarely use it but there is no deck gun on my boat anymore.
I did everything in my power to try and fix this on my own but i must now accept that i need help from more knowledgeable people then me.

I did a clean sweep of everything: Reinstalled the game and used fresh mod files.

I tried running RFB_2.0 without any other mods. i even tried without Patch1.

The problem is definitely coming from RFB.

The only thing that works is starting a new career but i would rather not, i spent a lot of time on this one.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've found that the problem seems to be coming from "Deck_Gun_4_50.DAT" and that if i use the game's original file it fixes my problem. The question is: Can i safely use the original file with RFB?

Last edited by IonicRipper; 12-08-12 at 09:13 PM.
IonicRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-12, 10:30 PM   #1014
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I had a similar experience once. I found out (after weeks at sea and a carefully plotted approach) that my torpedo tubes would not work. I had all my torpedos, but for some reason I couldn't open the tube doors or launch any. Needless to say, it was a very unproductive patrol. I never figured out why this happened either. I just chalked it up to being a maintenance casualty. Next patrol everything worked fine.

If it was me, I would consider the deck gun to be out of action and do the best you can for the remainder of the patrol. I think you will have it back for the next one.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-12, 11:11 PM   #1015
IonicRipper
Engineer

IIRC i did 2 patrols without it

EDIT: Got by gun back when they offered me a new boat.

Last edited by IonicRipper; 12-10-12 at 11:39 AM.
IonicRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 03:26 PM   #1016
bidius
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Ok, I did multiple searches for these questions I am about to ask, I skimmed through the thread (only skimmed because who really has the time to read every page?)

As I was playing with this mod, I realized two things that sorta bugged me about this mod (not to nitpick, cause the rest of it is gorgeous, I love the sinking dynamics)

1. When in the Bridge view (f5 I think) and I use the Binoculars, I can't see past my crew mates and parts of the ship I would otherwise be able to see past

Is there a way to change this? I'm no stranger to editing text files around, and general modding, so if it requires some sort of complexity I'm ok with that, just someone please point me in the right direction.

2. This is possibly the biggest, gamebreaking bug I've ever seen in a SH4 mod...

The destroyers sink themselves... they literally go so fast that they sink themselves.

Every time I am being engaged by a destroyer with this mod, they are cool for a bit, then when they go in for the kill (speed up) they go Bow-up and sink, no input by me, and a very strange bug...

these are the mods installed when these things occurred:

RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010

tried on and off with:

RSRDC_RFB_V575

some help with these would be greatly appreciated, please?
bidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 08:26 AM   #1017
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidius View Post
1. When in the Bridge view (f5 I think) and I use the Binoculars, I can't see past my crew mates and parts of the ship I would otherwise be able to see past

Is there a way to change this? I'm no stranger to editing text files around, and general modding, so if it requires some sort of complexity I'm ok with that, just someone please point me in the right direction.
I just move my POV forward through them. Just as with the interior cameras, the POV floats right through solid objects. Not elegant, but effective. I would certainly be interested in a mod that eliminates the view blocks, as the TDC camera does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidius View Post
2. This is possibly the biggest, gamebreaking bug I've ever seen in a SH4 mod...

The destroyers sink themselves... they literally go so fast that they sink themselves.

Every time I am being engaged by a destroyer with this mod, they are cool for a bit, then when they go in for the kill (speed up) they go Bow-up and sink, no input by me, and a very strange bug...

these are the mods installed when these things occurred:

RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010

tried on and off with:

RSRDC_RFB_V575

some help with these would be greatly appreciated, please?
I'm using the same mods, and have not seen that behavior. Wish I could get some of the DDs to do the self-destruct thing once in a while, though....
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 12:54 PM   #1018
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

First off bidius.......Welcome to SubSim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidius

Is there a way to change this?

Yes, you can. Since you say you can do some modding, here's your chance. The problem is in the Clipping Distance of the binoculars. To fix the problem, make a simple mod that you'll be able to load through JSGME after the main RFB mod and its patch.

First, open the JSGME "MODS" folder and right click within it to make a "New" folder. Call it "My RFB Camera Fix" (or any other name you like). Open this folder and make another called "Data", then open this folder and make another called "Library". Your folder structure should look like this:

MODS/My RFB Camera Fix/Data/Library/

Now, open the "RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010" mod. Following the same folder structure, copy/paste the file named "Cameras.dat" into your new fix "Library" folder.

Open it with using the tool Silent 3ditor found HERE. I'll usually put an S3D editor .exe shortcut into my "Send to" folder for easy access when modding. Once the .dat file is open in S3D, find the node named "Dummy_Camera_Binocular" and open the "CameraParams" heading. Find the "ClipDistance= 0.1" and change to "4.0" (no quotes around the entry). Remember to save your work, and exit S3D. Activate your fix mod after both RFB 2.0 and its Patch. See if you like the change the next time you run the game.

Quote:
2. The destroyers sink themselves... they literally go so fast that they sink themselves.

Which destroyer is it........I mean, what is the name, or "type", of DD is it? As you said, you "love the sinking dynamics". This feature may be what's causing the problem, or at least something similar in the changes made to RFB's ship maneuvering abilities. For instance, by changing the ships mass weight; it's center of gravity; it's engine horsepower; it's weight distribution; you can mess around with how the ship sits in the water; how it responds to acceleration; what happens to the ship when it's in higher wind, compared to calm seas, etc. I don't know what RFB's done to this particular ship, but sounds like the tweaking got out of hand.

I know of a mod that's still floating around these forums (pun intended) that tweaked things on one of it's ships so you'll never see this particular ship in-game. If it enters the game in anything other than calm seas (no wind) it will sink within minutes of spawning. Here's an image of the modded British Javelin DD:

Here's what the stock J-Class DD looks like:

The modded Javelin is practically swamped as it sits in calm waters!

With tweaks to the center of gravity, mass, etc. I've seen ships start to rock in mild seas and actually capsize after their momentum pushed them over. Sometimes its better to leave things alone than go monkeying with parameters that have ill effects in untested ways.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 12-16-12 at 01:05 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 09:23 PM   #1019
bidius
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy
Yes, you can. Since you say you can do some modding, here's your chance.
ohoho! O'll take that challenge!

I've been modding since I was about 6 with Doom, I dunno why but I get a sick pleasure out of tweaking game files...

Thank you kindly for pointing me to where the files should be located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Which destroyer is it........I mean, what is the name, or "type", of DD is it?
Well, I didn't think to Identify it at the time, me and my brother were too busy laughing our butts off to buckle down and try to fix it.

I'll Get a video of it up asap and post it here.

I think what I'll do is open up the mission editor, and try it with every type of enemy DD and see if any of them commit suicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy
As you said, you "love the sinking dynamics". This feature may be what's causing the problem, or at least something similar in the changes made to RFB's ship maneuvering abilities... <snip> I don't know what RFB's done to this particular ship, but sounds like the tweaking got out of hand.
yeah, that's what I figured. I should have also noted that it didin't happen instantly, they would spot me close the distance some, activate their hypothetical rocket boosters and the shear power would hydroplane them to their own demise...

I wasn't exactly sure how to go about fixing it, so I thought I would ask here to get some insight on where to start, or possibly even find other players with the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye
I'm using the same mods, and have not seen that behavior. Wish I could get some of the DDs to do the self-destruct thing once in a while, though....
ah, you say that but you don't truly mean it, it takes so much of the fun away. :P

Thanks again for the replies guys, I thought my questions would ultimately go unanswered, but it's nice to know that's not how you guys do things around here.

bidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 09:25 AM   #1020
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidius
Thanks again for the replies guys, I thought my questions would ultimately go unanswered, but it's nice to know that's not how you guys do things around here.

We're pretty much open minded around here. Not much trouble in getting opinions.

The file that probably caused the destroyer to sink when it accelerated could be the specific .sim file for each ship found in the Data/Sea/NDD_SHIPSNAME folder. Take for instance the Fubuki DD, to find the proper file look in "Data/Sea/NDD_Fubuki/NDD_Fubuki.sim". Open the .sim file with S3D and find the "unit_Ship" node. Under this heading you'll find the weight, center of gravity, displacement, propulsion, etc. parameters. It's probably one of these that's out of whack.

The trouble of tweaking some of these parameters is that when one thing is changed, several other things may be effected too. It's been an issue since the game was released that the mechanics of the enemy ships were like Corvettes accelerating from the line. Zero to sixty in four seconds flat!! So, folks took to making the ships heavier, or taking away it's propulsion, or doing other things to create a more realistic response. Is this what happened with the particular RFB destroyer? Maybe, only looking under the hood (and knowing what you're looking at) will tell the tale.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote