SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-14, 02:01 PM   #1
Jave
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Where to start?

Hi all! Got a noob question for ya. I just recently purchased SH3. Never played it before but I love difficult sim games. I've been a fan of the long since buried Janes Longbow 2 since the day it was released.
Let me be clear as well, I've only played the training missions for a couple hours. That is the extent of my knowledge on SH3 but having a blast regardless! Now to my question:

Modding. Should I just start by installing a mod right off the bat? Improved graphics at the very least is high on my list. My main issue is, after reading the forums for the last couple hours, there is a BAZZILLION options/mods/choices and I'm not even sure where to start.

If I missed a sticky with newb instructions I apologize in advance. Anyone have any suggestions?
Jave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 04:35 PM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

When it comes to modding, I would start with one of the mega mods like GWX 3.0 or NYGM, and play with it for awhile till you get used to how it looks/plays, then start adding other mods (one at a time) to customize the game to your liking.

P.S. Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 05:49 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Think of what you'd most like from the game, too!

How important are things like graphics, variety of enemy of units/traffic, sound/atmosphere to you? What do you like as far as difficulty or pace of the game? Do you like to spend a long time executing deliberate attacks that might result in nothing, spend a very long time on patrols, or do you want to find and sink more ships quicker? Do you have time to spend hours evading destroyers every time you attack a convoy, or would you rather resolve it quicker? Etc. etc. I think that might help you find the right version!

My advice is to stay away from arguments about "realism" because all of the modern SH3 mods are very realistic in their own ways - and all offer lots to the player to immerse themselves in the SH3 world. "Realism" is a very subjective thing in a video game and what works for one player doesn't work for another.
I personally prefer the NYGM flavour because it fits with my preference for slower, more methodical gameplay, high difficulty and lots of player involvement, and having to really work for my tonnage and survival, often coming back with very modest results. Maybe it's because, more than anything, I'm interested in the "slow, boring" work of the average U-boat at sea rather than trying to live out my fantasies as the greatest ace of all time. Makes the success all the more sweet when it comes. But there's a lot of great play to be had in other mods, too!

As a starting point, a GWX-based install might be pretty good! It's a bit dated now since development on that mod has long stopped, but lots of added mods still support it. It's almost like an unofficial patch to SH3 by now.
Then you can see what you like and/or don't like about it, and go from there - either adding things to it or switching to another "supermod" base (like NYGM or WAC).

Whatever you choose, be sure to learn to use JSGME for installing/switching mods; get SH3 commander; and get h.sie's hardcode .exe fixes, all of which add some very new and exciting stuff to SH3.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 06:01 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A warm welcome ‘Jave’ to the Subsim family.

You will always find someone here to help you.

Link to my SH3 – SH4 – SH5 posts:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It.

Also Included Are Some Useful Download Links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804

You can use TDW’Generic File Patcher with STEAM see my Tutorial Post #125
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 07:20 PM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome :-)

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-14, 08:32 AM   #6
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to SubSim Jave.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-14, 08:55 AM   #7
lecrop
Watch

Downloads: 62

1. Play stock SH3, and learn things.

2. Read Subsim SH3 forum. All.

3. Read Subsim SH3 mods forum

4. Time to decide mods, depending on the level of realism you seek.

Just my 2 cents, but I think it's silly to change things in the simulator before you know WHY you want to change.

...and welcome

Last edited by lecrop; 11-16-14 at 09:28 AM.
lecrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-14, 11:39 AM   #8
Jave
Nub

Thanks for the welcome and advice all! I started last night installing SH3 Commander and JSGME. Then after spending a few hours reading up on the different mods I settled on LSH3, which may or may not have been a mistake. I've never seen such a complicated install guide, which also may explain why for the life of me I haven't got it to work yet! But going to tinker with it a bit today. I have everything in the right place, or so I think, but its not showing when I load up the game. I will keep ya all informed!
Old 11-16-14, 06:26 PM   #9
Jave
Nub

I'm using Steam. Problem one. Going to fix that tomorrow and try again