SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-17, 08:19 AM   #4501
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
@J0313
If you cannot separate a computer submarine game from reality you need to see a qualified psychiatrist urgently.
Just one other thing while I'm posting on this subject because there won't be another one on it, this is MY game, MY submarine and MY crew and if I want to call those pixel generated morons a bunch of useless cowardly pillocks I will do and it's got nothing to do with YOU or ANYONE else.
Just be careful what you say in an open forum bro. I get it but you never know if someone else will. I've seen a lot of controversial things posted on this site in the 7 years I've been a member.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 08:20 AM   #4502
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Shay now fellers, we don't need any bickering amongst the crew... We're all in this together at 160 fathoms, whether the depth charges get us, or we suffocate. The bilge pump is on its last leg, and I can't find my cell phone charger... Remember, it's just a game, and we are all in need of psychiatric help since we all "pretend" we're in a submarine and experience claustrophobia in an open room in the house, without benefit of surround goggles...

In the meantime Moonlight, do you happen to remember which mods you had active on your computer prior to this round of FotRSU? Or did you do a "fresh" install of SH4 and then start using it? The reason I ask is that we cannot find the text you have on your clipboard that says "Fifteen square miles of Tokyo erupted in flames yesterday..." anywhere in the mod's files. We found the "Sunk Royei Maru tanker.." text from the 5th of March, 1945 and have searched by eye as well as several versions of computer digital searches, yet cannot find that "Tokyo is burning" reference anywhere. We want to be sure that it's not in the game somewhere, to prevent it doing that again, but want to make sure there wasn't any "outside" influences on your game. I've looked through copies of other mods I have on my computer, and cannot find the text in any of them either. My collection of mods is however, woefully inadequate... - Any ideas?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 08:59 AM   #4503
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Propbeanie, I can tell you where the following Message DOES NOT come from:

The message beginning with "Fifteen square miles......" doesn't come from TriggerMaru Overhaul 1.9; RFB 2.0; Any of the RSRDC versions; TMO 2.5; Traveller Mod v2.6 TMO; the Stock game; FOTRS; Or, our favorite.....FOTRS Ultimate version..... any version you choose.

So Moonlight, where did your game get this modded "Message" and why should we worry about your game being corrupt if its none of our doing?!?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 01:30 PM   #4504
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
So what your saying is the entire submarine forces of the world are a bunch of cowards.
I don't think so. They just do reasonable calculation to decide if it makes sense to replace a very expensive, time and resource consuming submarine filled with 80 of the highers calibre men in the military for a cheap, easy to replace airplane (as an example), with a crew of two easily replaced fly boys. If the trade doesn't make military sense, and it doesn't, then the policy is never to engage with airplanes.

Same thing goes with armed merchants. Merchant ships are plentiful and easily replaced, with crews of average, non-military men. Their guns are on an excellent gun platform and usually they have at least two guns to the sub's one. Does the trade make sense? Does the sub have other ways to attack merchant shipping that does not leave them in an uneven gunbattle where the consequences of losing far outweigh the rewards of winning the encounter? The answer is that it is against sensible policy to engage armed merchants on the surface. That's what torpedoes are for. Captains who violate the policy end up in Leavenworth--and that is where they belong.

It's just silly to say cowardice has anything to do with it. It's responsible management of military assets. You only risk your life if the payoff is way out of proportion to the cost of losing you, your crew and your boat. Any other way of evaluation is criminal.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 02:03 PM   #4505
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Well we've got a conundrum on our hands because I can't find that text on my PC either and the Generic Mod Enabler says there is nothing wrong with the stock game files snapshot either.
The only conclusion that I can come to is it must be in FOTRS somewhere and I don't know enough about this game to know where it would be found.

You're going to have to dig deeper chaps, keep digging long enough and you'll find it.
Old 04-29-17, 03:23 PM   #4506
Moonlight
Admiral

I've been loading my saved games to find out which one this message comes from, my game files have just been copied from my original clean unmodded stock game files and I've replayed the mission.
As you can see its appeared again.

Any other bright ideas chaps because I haven't got one, it's June 5th 1945 and when this campaign is over with I'm going to uninstall everything and re-start it at the beginning of 1945, then we'll see if this anomaly can be repeated.
Old 04-29-17, 03:27 PM   #4507
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I've been loading my saved games to find out which one this message comes from, my game files have just been copied from my original clean unmodded stock game files and I've replayed the mission.
As you can see its appeared again.

Any other bright ideas chaps because I haven't got one, it's June 5th 1945 and when this campaign is over with I'm going to uninstall everything and re-start it at the beginning of 1945, then we'll see if this anomaly can be repeated.

something leftover from stock, I remember this message from stock game.Likely radio announcement will play as well, if radio is activated.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 03:56 PM   #4508
propbeanie

The firebombing the message refers to happened on March 9, 1945... hmmmm...

I vaguely recall seeing the message before also, but it's nowhere to be found in stock either... surely they didn't hard-code in messages...

Old 04-29-17, 04:01 PM   #4509
Moonlight
Admiral

I've found it, it's in the stock game files as Bubblehead pointed out, Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Sound\Radio\Washington\Events\News_19 45_02.ogg

[NEWS]
Title=February 28th, 1945
Body=Fifteen square miles of Tokyo erupted in flames yesterday, after a bombing raid by U.S. Air Force that included 279 B-29s Superfortresses. This is the beginning of a ten days bombing campaign by US Air Force, targeting the capitol city of Japan, Tokyo.

In future chaps don't be so hasty when you're throwing aspersions around.
Old 04-29-17, 07:10 PM   #4510
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Icon14 Well done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
something leftover from stock, I remember this message from stock game.Likely radio announcement will play as well, if radio is activated.
I have gone through 10 different super mods and their various versions looking into messages.txt. in SH4.

Slightly deflated to see that the capn also went through most of the same files..... two sets of eyes are better than one.

And counless mods and super mods in SH3 to find it also...

I had no idea that messages were also served up from the sound folder...

You do indeed learn something new at Subsim every day..
Old 04-29-17, 11:09 PM   #4511
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight

In future chaps don't be so hasty when you're throwing aspersions around.
Don't go blaming a mod for your perceived problem!

We wasted enough time on it for you.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 12:16 AM   #4512
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I don't think so. They just do reasonable calculation to decide if it makes sense to replace a very expensive, time and resource consuming submarine filled with 80 of the highers calibre men in the military for a cheap, easy to replace airplane (as an example), with a crew of two easily replaced fly boys. If the trade doesn't make military sense, and it doesn't, then the policy is never to engage with airplanes.

Same thing goes with armed merchants. Merchant ships are plentiful and easily replaced, with crews of average, non-military men. Their guns are on an excellent gun platform and usually they have at least two guns to the sub's one. Does the trade make sense? Does the sub have other ways to attack merchant shipping that does not leave them in an uneven gunbattle where the consequences of losing far outweigh the rewards of winning the encounter? The answer is that it is against sensible policy to engage armed merchants on the surface. That's what torpedoes are for. Captains who violate the policy end up in Leavenworth--and that is where they belong.

It's just silly to say cowardice has anything to do with it. It's responsible management of military assets. You only risk your life if the payoff is way out of proportion to the cost of losing you, your crew and your boat. Any other way of evaluation is criminal.
Rockin, that comment was in response to something Moonlight posted. You might want to do some reading a bit further down in the thread to get the meaning of what I said and why I said it.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 05:06 AM   #4513
Moonlight
Admiral

There's no time wasted on tracking down any perceived problems in FOTRS whether they are mine or anyone elses Capn, at least I know that the message problem I posted about was successfully resolved.
Old 04-30-17, 10:14 AM   #4514
propbeanie

Alright, a radio message plays. Where does it get the extra TEXT portion from?... There is an "ini" file in the sound folder there that has ONE instance of the message. The Radio.ini file says nothing about repeats, and neither does the Events.ini file. Is the message "important" enough, that if the player doesn't acknowledge it the first time, it keeps repeating until you do open the messages clipboard? How many other of these do that? I'm going to guess ALL... 27 ogg files of "events", 3 of "intros". Currently, the only apparent way to "solve" the issue is to answer the clipboard radio message prompt in a timely manner, or delete the "INI" text files for the radio. The event happened on March 9th, 1945. It shouldn't be displaying on a February 28th screen (no repeat yet), and the March 16th screen is "late" as far as the game is concerned... ?? - ~SO~ how is the game keeping track of its "calendar"?... How many extra February 29ths are there in this game?...

Old 04-30-17, 04:39 PM   #4515
kcoun
Watch

Downloads: 766

a lot of wasted energy over a simple wayward text message ... gheesh
kcoun is offline   Reply With Quote