SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #76
LGN1
Ace of the Deep
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,112
Downloads: 144
Uploads: 12
Default

Great work, TDW. Thanks a lot for the new version!

@Rubini:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post

And the most good news: also that old wanted mod - depth charges making noise allowing you to escape (bold like effect) - seems to work ok too using the same TDW's mod approach. It need more tests and this is my problem now - free time. I will post more info as the mod goes ahead.

Kudos to TWD!
Are you still working on this? I guess you do it via spawning small bolds when depth-charges explode If yes, do you know whether Bolds affect hydrophones or only ASDIC?

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #77
Rubini
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: São Paulo Brazil
Posts: 2,754
Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Great work, TDW. Thanks a lot for the new version!

@Rubini:


Are you still working on this? I guess you do it via spawning small bolds when depth-charges explode If yes, do you know whether Bolds affect hydrophones or only ASDIC?

Cheers, LGN1
Hi LGN1,

(excuse me for hijack the thread again TDW...well, at least the below exposed have something in common with your mod idea)


The addition of bolds just replacing the virtual DC as they are on the TDW mod didn't work in the end. At first I thougth that it worked (is difficult to test, the fake bold "noise" effect is a bit subjective issue).

I added a bold object/effect to a real DC under water explosion effect (the same idea on the TDW fire damage mod - he added a virtual DC to a know effect - the fire) but it gives CTD. Later I understood why/the sutil difference: Sh3 manage differentely objects that are made for player use (torpedos and bolds are good example) in contrast with others objects like bombs, DC, etc.

In others words, a full working virtual torpedo or a full working virtual bold are both yet impossible to we handle without SDK.

So, no dice with DC making noise/disturbance until now!

(Hopes that you understand me, my english is worst than ever)
__________________
One gamer's must-have mod is another gamer's waste of time.
-Sailor Steve
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #78
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,994
Downloads: 146
Uploads: 5


Default

What are you trying to do with the DC? Have it make noise? I don't understand Nothing is impossible, you just have to be more creative about how to implement it.

It appears you all are wanting the DCs to make noise as they are falling. This should be really easy to do. The DC needs to have a sound source attached to it with the hydro effect (I believe in SH3 it was hyd). You could probably even attach a sonar target to it so the sonarman could detect it in water. Ok, now I'll have to try this and see if it works since it's easy enough to make in a few minutes.

EDIT:

ok successfully added sound to the DCs. Now, what sound do you want the DCs to have? I need a sound file (wav) for it. Currently I'm using the torpedo sound but I need a real sound for the DCs. Works in game (you can hear the sound from the DCs in external cam and also from the hydrophone station)

Think we should add sound to the decoys also fired by the sub. Need a sound file (wav) for it also. I'm going to go ahead and add the necessary controllers to the bolds so they can have sound also.

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 03-16-2011 at 07:18 PM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #79
Rubini
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: São Paulo Brazil
Posts: 2,754
Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
What are you trying to do with the DC? Have it make noise? I don't understand Nothing is impossible, you just have to be more creative about how to implement it.

It appears you all are wanting the DCs to make noise as they are falling. This should be really easy to do. The DC needs to have a sound source attached to it with the hydro effect (I believe in SH3 it was hyd). You could probably even attach a sonar target to it so the sonarman could detect it in water. Ok, now I'll have to try this and see if it works since it's easy enough to make in a few minutes.

EDIT:

ok successfully added sound to the DCs. Now, what sound do you want the DCs to have? I need a sound file (wav) for it. Currently I'm using the torpedo sound but I need a real sound for the DCs. Works in game (you can hear the sound from the DCs in external cam and also from the hydrophone station)

Think we should add sound to the decoys also fired by the sub. Need a sound file (wav) for it also. I'm going to go ahead and add the necessary controllers to the bolds so they can have sound also.
Hi TDW,

Thanks to think about this but isnīt about sound that we are talking. Just a minute, I will look at a link to post here then you will understand better the matter.
__________________
One gamer's must-have mod is another gamer's waste of time.
-Sailor Steve

Last edited by Rubini; 03-16-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #80
Rubini
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: São Paulo Brazil
Posts: 2,754
Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default

Ok, here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ighlight=depth

Itīs about to make the DDs a bit blind after a DC explode. A disturbance for the ASDIC and hidrophones, as in real life, to add to the game uncertanty and real tatics.

Itīs an old mod idea, an old wish by the players, that never was achieved by any mod or modder. A lot of approachs already was tried, neither had success. The better idea was to add a "Bold disturbance effect" to the DC explosion, this way blinding a bit the DDs.

When I saw your mod implementation idea (damage by fire) I pick up again some hope but as i said above seems that the problem is that bold (and also torpedos), wich are fired by the player, are handle in a different way by the game engine and donīt full work when we try to use them on mods.

Any idea?
__________________
One gamer's must-have mod is another gamer's waste of time.
-Sailor Steve
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #81
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,994
Downloads: 146
Uploads: 5


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
Ok, here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ighlight=depth

Itīs about to make the DDs a bit blind after a DC explode. A disturbance for the ASDIC and hidrophones, as in real life, to add to the game uncertanty and real tatics.

Itīs an old mod idea, an old wish by the players, that never was achieved by any mod or modder. A lot of approachs already was tried, neither had success. The better idea was to add a "Bold disturbance effect" to the DC explosion, this way blinding a bit the DDs.

When I saw your mod implementation idea (damage by fire) I pick up again some hope but as i said above seems that the problem is that bold (and also torpedos), wich are fired by the player, are handle in a different way by the game engine and donīt full work when we try to use them on mods.

Any idea?
sure do. The effect that is played when the DC explodes could be changed to point to either:
- a new type 4/100 node that has a bold effect tied to it that lasts for say 2-3 seconds or
- straight to a bold effect with a lifetime of 2-3 seconds

That's what I would try first
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #82
Rubini
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: São Paulo Brazil
Posts: 2,754
Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
sure do. The effect that is played when the DC explodes could be changed to point to either:
- a new type 4/100 node that has a bold effect tied to it that lasts for say 2-3 seconds or
- straight to a bold effect with a lifetime of 2-3 seconds

That's what I would try first
These I already tried. But the game just CTD when a DC explode. After some time looking at others possibilities to tie the bold effect, always without success, I start to think what I exposed above: probably the game donīt allow us to have a virtual full working objects that are primarely destinated to the player use (torpedo and bold), differentely from AI objects like bombs, DC, etc. In my tests any Ai object worked without problems. Only bold (I didnīt tested torpedos) lead to CTD.

Well, after hours and hours trying it i give up. But as we already saw here a lot of times, perhaps someone will finally find a way to do it in some moment in near future.

Edit: So, i guess that the problem is the player "ignition" routine. IIRC when we tried virtual torpedos, they had a fixed direction, making modded virtual torpedos unuseful, showing to us that something more is needed that is hardcoded (until now); seems now that the bold also needs some hidden routine to ignite it correctly...the game donīt find it and CTD. Just a guess...
__________________
One gamer's must-have mod is another gamer's waste of time.
-Sailor Steve
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 AM   #83
Robin40
Chief
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rivoli (Italy)
Posts: 310
Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
These I already tried. But the game just CTD when a DC explode. After some time looking at others possibilities to tie the bold effect, always without success, I start to think what I exposed above: probably the game donīt allow us to have a virtual full working objects that are primarely destinated to the player use (torpedo and bold), differentely from AI objects like bombs, DC, etc. In my tests any Ai object worked without problems. Only bold (I didnīt tested torpedos) lead to CTD.

Well, after hours and hours trying it i give up. But as we already saw here a lot of times, perhaps someone will finally find a way to do it in some moment in near future.

Edit: So, i guess that the problem is the player "ignition" routine. IIRC when we tried virtual torpedos, they had a fixed direction, making modded virtual torpedos unuseful, showing to us that something more is needed that is hardcoded (until now); seems now that the bold also needs some hidden routine to ignite it correctly...the game donīt find it and CTD. Just a guess...
Do you mean that DD's are not deaf when DC's are exploding?

Damn...I thought to use a tricky tactics to excape: when a DC explodes I increase speed to 3, then I stop engines when explosions cease
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #84
Rubini
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: São Paulo Brazil
Posts: 2,754
Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin40 View Post
Do you mean that DD's are not deaf when DC's are exploding?

Damn...I thought to use a tricky tactics to excape: when a DC explodes I increase speed to 3, then I stop engines when explosions cease
Yes, exactly they are not being deaf by exploding DC in Sh3...but DD's rear is deaf (ASDIC geometry). Perhaps one day we will also achieve to add DC disturbance for ASDIC. Then we will have new tatics to explore.
__________________
One gamer's must-have mod is another gamer's waste of time.
-Sailor Steve
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #85
LGN1
Ace of the Deep
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,112
Downloads: 144
Uploads: 12
Default

Thanks for the explanation, Rubini! It's a pity that it doesn't work

Probably the best solution would be to deactivate the ships' ASDIC/Hydrophones for a short period of time. But how

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #86
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,994
Downloads: 146
Uploads: 5


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
Yes, exactly they are not being deaf by exploding DC in Sh3...but DD's rear is deaf (ASDIC geometry). Perhaps one day we will also achieve to add DC disturbance for ASDIC. Then we will have new tatics to explore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Rubini! It's a pity that it doesn't work

Probably the best solution would be to deactivate the ships' ASDIC/Hydrophones for a short period of time. But how

Cheers, LGN1
Figured out how to cause a disturbance.....and it works Yes this does make for some interesting tactics now. Now I must make this for SH5 and SH4!
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #87
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea


SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Watching over U-253
Posts: 3,528
Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Figured out how to cause a disturbance.....and it works Yes this does make for some interesting tactics now.
Great news! This kind of realism is an absolute must. Puts a capital 'S' in sim... Many thanks!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #88
Rubini
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: São Paulo Brazil
Posts: 2,754
Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Figured out how to cause a disturbance.....and it works Yes this does make for some interesting tactics now. Now I must make this for SH5 and SH4!
Awesome mate! Many thanks! I will test it asap and post feedbacks on the correct thread.
__________________
One gamer's must-have mod is another gamer's waste of time.
-Sailor Steve
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #89
maillemaker
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,561
Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Default

Wow, this is an awesome mod, can't wait to get home and try it! It's a shame that fire never caused damage all along!

Quote:
Itīs about to make the DDs a bit blind after a DC explode. A disturbance for the ASDIC and hidrophones, as in real life, to add to the game uncertanty and real tatics.

Itīs an old mod idea, an old wish by the players, that never was achieved by any mod or modder. A lot of approachs already was tried, neither had success. The better idea was to add a "Bold disturbance effect" to the DC explosion, this way blinding a bit the DDs.
And all this time I thought that DCs DID cause sonar problems, and was gunning the engines and cutting them after the explosions stopped!

Is there a mod for this, now, too?

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #90
frau kaleun
Valkyrie
 
frau kaleun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Posts: 12,718
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
And all this time I thought that DCs DID cause sonar problems, and was gunning the engines and cutting them after the explosions stopped!

Is there a mod for this, now, too?


Depth Charge Water Disturbances

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181513
__________________
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Đ 1995- 2018 Subsim