SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-20, 08:55 AM   #391
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^ After watching this it seems people are frightened that law and order ends due to the pandemic, that police, militia and military will not be able to keep a state of control, so they all buy weapons to defend themselves against looters, or the next civil war.
Not that i would expect this happening, but – when the situation happens it is a bit late if you did not plan in time. Which is why some prepare for such a situation. I guess in a country where everyone can buy weapons everywhere and anytime it indeed makes sense.

@Neal
point 1: lol
point 2: I think the videos were actually well-made, i probably misunderstood something with the 'cartridge chamber' (Patronenlager, if is this the right word).

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 06-16-20 at 09:32 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 09:03 AM   #392
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ After watching this it seems people are frightened that law and order ends due to the pandemic, that police, militia and military will not be able to keep a state of control, so they all buy weapons to defend themselves against looters, or the next civil war.
Ah, I thought the talk of rioting was in reference to the George Floyd protests - not the peaceful protests, obviously, the rioting that’s been occurring simultaneously. My mistake.

I say that if things got that bad, just steal an M14 while scavenging from the remains of a US military base. Or, in your situation Catfish, go for an MG3
Old 06-16-20, 09:15 AM   #393
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ the MG 42 or "3" has a much too high shot frequency, could not afford the ammo with 1300/min.. I actually have been trained on this, it builds up an insane muzzle heat in a very short time; maybe i will better steal a new "5" then

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-20, 10:09 AM   #394
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-20, 12:10 PM   #395
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post

I say that if things got that bad, just steal an M14 while scavenging from the remains of a US military base.

Those AR-14s are hard to find.
Old 11-25-20, 12:26 PM   #396
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
How about a replica?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-20, 04:05 PM   #397
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post

I wouldn't mind having an M14. Wouldn't mind an AR-10 either. My buddy thinks I would buy one with an upper chambered for .243 Winchester which is a legal hunting round in all 50 states.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 02-21-21, 11:31 AM   #398
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

August, .308 or 6.5 Creedmore. Power/precision. Educate me.

Looking at this
https://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 12:00 PM   #399
August
Wayfaring Stranger

From what I read statistically the Creedmore is the better round especially if you intend on doing a lot of long range shooting.

Check out this field and stream review:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/65-cr...08-winchester/
Old 02-21-21, 12:49 PM   #400
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

/\ precisely. Unless your a 800-1200 yd. target shooter with reloading mania as I am with the .45-70 in Shiloh Sharps carbine or original 1876 Trapdoor Springfield (infantry), stick with the .308. It has a greater variety of projectile weights(as yet) and is rated at 5000 rounds to the gun barrel's life expectancy whereas the 6.5 mm is half as many rounds for the barrel life: 2500...on a costly $2,000+ Creedmore rifle?? Costs are an issue for any shooter and buying new guns for an already ample arsenal at my age is not worth it. The 6.5 is only slightly more accurate with slightly less shoulder recoil. Both rounds will get the job done for hunting anything in North America at more typical ranges under 500 yards. The Field and Stream side-by-side comparison article I read B4 posting this blog had an Hornady advertising tone in favor of the 6.5mm over the tried and true .308; hence my skepticism.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-21-21 at 01:02 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 03:11 PM   #401
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
/\ precisely. Unless your a 800-1200 yd. target shooter with reloading mania as I am with the .45-70 in Shiloh Sharps carbine or original 1876 Trapdoor Springfield (infantry), stick with the .308. It has a greater variety of projectile weights(as yet) and is rated at 5000 rounds to the gun barrel's life expectancy whereas the 6.5 mm is half as many rounds for the barrel life: 2500...on a costly $2,000+ Creedmore rifle?? Costs are an issue for any shooter and buying new guns for an already ample arsenal at my age is not worth it. The 6.5 is only slightly more accurate with slightly less shoulder recoil. Both rounds will get the job done for hunting anything in North America at more typical ranges under 500 yards. The Field and Stream side-by-side comparison article I read B4 posting this blog had an Hornady advertising tone in favor of the 6.5mm over the tried and true .308; hence my skepticism.
*Most* people are never going to effectively use the exotic rounds like the Creedmoor or the .338 Lapua because they're most useful in the edge cases - killing people at long range in a military role. Sure the creedmoor can take out deer just fine, but .270 or .308 is just as effective. The recoil I think, is what most people are raving about with the creedmoor.

I'd argue that .22LR, .223 Rem, or Win .308 are probably the most versatile all-around. The .22LR for plinking since it's so cheap to buy, .223 Rem for your coyotes and other farm/ranch predators, and the. 308 for pretty much everything else except grizzlies or moose
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 10:02 PM   #402
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
*Most* people are never going to effectively use the exotic rounds like the Creedmoor or the .338 Lapua because they're most useful in the edge cases - killing people at long range in a military role. Sure the creedmoor can take out deer just fine, but .270 or .308 is just as effective. The recoil I think, is what most people are raving about with the creedmoor.

I'd argue that .22LR, .223 Rem, or Win .308 are probably the most versatile all-around. The .22LR for plinking since it's so cheap to buy, .223 Rem for your coyotes and other farm/ranch predators, and the. 308 for pretty much everything else except grizzlies or moose
True but the creedmoor has better ballistics than the 308, which means less bullet drop and wind drift at a distance.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 10:29 PM   #403
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
True but the creedmoor has better ballistics than the 308, which means less bullet drop and wind drift at a distance.

Yeah especially handy in those flat Texas prairies where long shots are pretty much the order of the day.
Old 02-21-21, 11:44 PM   #404
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

here a web site link if your guys are having trouble finding ammo like i was https://www.wikiarms.com/group/308win now if i can find more rounds for the 45 long colt i did break down and buy a M-1A but mine dad being the old Marine that he is took off with it,right now i been packing the Smith & Wesson’s Model S&W500
Old 02-22-21, 12:06 AM   #405
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Looking .45 colt try www.buffalobore.com, a tad pricey.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles