SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-19, 01:27 PM   #7651
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'll look into that. The Task Force files were worked over to eliminate such occurrences. This is probably something edited after that was done. We still can't figure out why the game uses dates, if it's just going to run over them anyway, such as spawning a Taiho before its time... Similarly, you shouldn't have a Balao off the coast of Japan in March of '43 either... - but the game runs over those dates also...

As for that sound, we found nodes that it was tied to earlier, but have not found why it "hangs" and repeats over and over. I cannot get my computer to do the sound like that, which makes it difficult to diagnose. Didn't we have a picture of a "leak" somewhere that's an animation, and it wouldn't quit either? Can you look around your boat when you get that, and see if you can find an animation also stuck? Thanks.
I was assigned the Balao 10/1942

So if I am not supposed to have a Balao in '43 why do you think the game allows it? Is it my renown being overly inflated due to ease of kills? If it is this couldn't we allow less renown per action in order to keep that in check? I have over 10,000 renown and nothing to use it on. Perhaps the game is giving me newer boat to early because of this??

I thought the game awarded new boats per date not by rate of success?? Or at least a combination of success and date?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 03-03-19 at 01:48 PM.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 01:29 PM   #7652
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

When you are promoted for a new sub class, and you refuse once, will you be asked again at some time?

I’m asking because at first i wanted to keep my Sargo, but after some time i finally changed my mind for an other...but no new proposal yet
(It’s in FOTRS 1.3, but i suspect it’s exact same procedure in FOTRSU)

add in question: where can i see the max depth of all sub class? (Not the tested)
Old 03-02-19, 02:47 PM   #7653
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
that broken pipe/hiss is real PITA.
you pick it up whenever you take any damage...it is not activated on control room damage.
then it hangs around even after your crew repairs all damage.
you can be on high TC (2048) and still hear it.
you can save and exit then re-enter and reload and still hear it.
you come out of high TC for a radar contact or radio message and you hear it and then you accelerate to high TC and it is suddenly quiet.
then six days later for no reason at all, the hiss returns. WTF.
no consistency whatsoever.
exasperating.

i suspect the sound is Interior.SteamBurst and it is set to loop. it would be interesting to find out what event activates it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I have often wanted to remove the sound altogether.
There are 2 sound files. Pipe steam break.wav, which is part of the FOTRS mod, and Steam burst.wav

Pipe Steam break is the clank of metal and a short hiss
Steam burst is just the hiss. I'm going to assume it's the 2nd one. I made a replacement sound file.

I can post it for download later, but if you want it quickly, PM me an email address to send it to. It's only a 262k file

All I did was take the file, mute the sound and render a file of silence. So it's the exact same length and properties as the original. This won't prevent the sound from looping, but when it does you won't hear anything. So it's not a fix, but a temporary work around.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10

Last edited by swdw; 03-02-19 at 02:56 PM.
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 02:54 PM   #7654
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
AND, How the H-E double L are you SWDW??? Man, it's been a long time!! Good to hear from you my friend!?!
Doing well now. Had some events happen about 3 years ago that made me go hermit for awhile. Can PM you if you want details.

Actually sent RR and Onkel Neal an apology and explanation a couple days ago when I surfaced again. Got them excited about something I was going to try and do a little over 3 years ago, and then dropped off the radar w/o telling them why at the time.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 03:04 PM   #7655
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdw View Post
There are 2 sound files. Pipe steam break.wav, which is part of the FOTRS mod, and Steam burst.wav

Pipe Steam break is the clank of metal and a short hiss
Steam burst is just the hiss. I'm going to assume it's the 2nd one. I made a replacement sound file.

I can post it for download later, but if you want it quickly, PM me an email address to send it to. It's only a 262k file

All I did was take the file, mute the sound and render a file of silence. So it's the exact same length and properties as the original. This won't prevent the sound from looping, but when it does you won't hear anything. So it's not a fix, but a temporary work around.
thanks, pal, but i have muted the sound...just to be sure it IS the sound i think it is. and if i am correct, i will uncheck the LOOP box and ...problem solved. :-)
thank you for an alternative.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 03:05 PM   #7656
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

OK, merc4ulfate, I found the group you encountered - I think. In 42b_Jap_TaskForce_03, inbound to Kobe. It has a Shokaku, a Hiyo, 2x Myoko, 2x Kuma (one at 80% spawn rate), 4x Fubuki @ 100%, & 3x Generic @ 100%, plus a replenishment ship & other DD that spawn at varying rate. Conceivably, you could have 17 ships in the group. In the mod, the Hiyo is active in May of 1942, which is its "launch" date, so it should be fine early 1943. I have made me a test mission, and I'm sitting off Kii Suido patiently awaiting a task force to come my way. I am sitting in a Tambor right now, and we'll see how it goes. I'll do me a Balao next, and see if the game gives it to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
When you are promoted for a new sub class, and you refuse once, will you be asked again at some time?

I’m asking because at first i wanted to keep my Sargo, but after some time i finally changed my mind for an other...but no new proposal yet

add in question: where can i see the max depth of all sub class? (Not the tested)
Once you refuse the new boat, the game acts like you were never asked. But since you've passed the points required to qualify for the boat, it does not retain the information of what your answer was, treating it like you answered in the affirmative, and you won't be asked again, until you qualify for the next level boat, with the appropriate level of points. There is a minimum number of patrols you have to take to qualify for the first boat, and a minimum renown points level. Ducimus had the "system" somewhat figured out by doing test missions, and I'll look and see if I can find that old thread again. He was somewhat dumbfounded by the way it worked, and I think most of us are too...

PS: Look in the SubmarineName.zon file under the "CollisionableItem" (or similar) heading for "Crash Depth" - but I'm not 100% that's the correct one...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 03:12 PM   #7657
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

yes, but i am unsure as to the requirements for the second "ask". my guess is that you would have to have at least three additional, successful missions... but again, i am unsure as to whether FOTRS 1.3 will be different from FOTRSU. i suspect not....but i am not certain as i think that this logic is part of the unchangeable SH4 logic but i am not certain. i can only relate what i have experienced with various mega-mods and Stock-SH4.
if you continue to have successful conclusions to your missions, you will definitely have opportunities to upgrade your boat. my advice is to save your mission prior to its end just in case you are asked to upgrade, you accept the upgrade, and then determine that you do not want the upgrade.
good luck.

LAA enabled
Old 03-02-19, 05:00 PM   #7658
Fifi
Navy Seal

Ok, thanks Prop and Kaleun for the replies
Old 03-02-19, 05:14 PM   #7659
propbeanie

I still haven't found the original post, and I'm gooing cross-eyed and getting a headache looking, but I found a fellow quoting the TMO v2.0 manuaL:
Quote:
Patrol ratings, Ranks, & refits

Patrol Ratings:
Your performance on patrol is rated, and that rating has a direct impact on if/when you get promoted, and whether or not your boat receives a refit, or if you are offered a new command. Your rating is based on how much renown you earn. Not if you complete your mission or not. So if you receive a mission that you do not think you can complete, you can ignore it so long as you earn enough renown to obtain a decent patrol rating.

Chart of renown , ratings, and descriptions:
- missing picture of chart -
When you're done with a patrol, the game checks your renown and gives you rating according to the values in that table. This is also used to adjust your campaign rating. An internal rating the game uses which effects promotions. After each patrol a calculation takes place:
New_Campaign_Rating = Old_Campaign_Rating + Last_Patrol_Rating / 2

Player Ranks:
There are two ranks available for the US campaign, with the player starting at Lieutenant Commander .

To be promoted to Commander
-At least 5 months since last Promotion
- At least 4 succesful patrols (rating 0 or more), including the last one
- Campaign rating 0 or more

To be promoted to Captain
- At least 6 months since last Promotion
- At least 5 patrols of rating 1 or more, including the last one
- Campaign rating 1 or more

Refits:
Your boat will undergo a refit, (or you'll be offered a new command) when:
- you've done at least 4 patrols in your current boat.
- have least 1 patrol rated as “good”
- a conning tower upgrade, or newer command is available (based on date)
Now, from my experimenting, the last paragraph is also determined by renown points. The more points, the sooner you get the new boat, and in some cases, with a fully restricted roster, you could get boats up to four months earlier than the "UnitInterval" said it was available. We pulled some of the restrictions out for v0.80 RC1, and it ~still~ bombs the game getting them early...

Old 03-02-19, 05:47 PM   #7660
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
The following day I encountered the IJN Midget about 75 to 100 nm SSE of the mouth of Tokyo Bay.
This was a huge mis-estimate of location on my part. After measuring on the map the actual location looks to be about 27 nm SSE of Yokosuka. The midget was on a northwesterly course.

I've debated about posting the following repeat IJN Midget encounter because I don't really think that much can be done about this particular situation. And, it is probably unlikely that it will ever be repeated. What would you say if I told you that I was running a steady 23 knots surfaced in a Balao? Strange game I had the other night. Just when I thought I had seen all the weirdness that SH4 is capable of generating, it surprises me yet again.

https://www.twitch.tv/immelmann_burn...omatoSmoocherZ

https://www.twitch.tv/immelmann_burn...iquePigVoteNay

https://www.twitch.tv/immelmann_burn...efulDiscLitFam

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/388639324

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/388648713

Good for a laugh anyway.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 09:46 PM   #7661
propbeanie

The game is definitely whonky on "collision detection" when vessels are going in reverse, as witnessed in some of the Pearl Harbor incidents of previous versions of FotRSU. A boat or ship will drive right at something, instead of steering away from it... then they will backup a mile and a half beyond what they needed, turn the wrong way, and then back into a dock or another ship, and just keep going until they are merged together. No "collision detection" to the rear... That was definitely an interesting "technique" you used to "launch" your mini-sub...

Now, for merc4ulfate and others with the "damage hiss" sound, is this the one in this video at about the 2:40 mark?

It should go active long about 10pm Eastern time... That is a Gato boat. Now, this Task Force has a very similar makeup to what we were looking for, and thankfully, didn't have more than 7 DD, else I do believe they would have had me. As it was, I was able to sneak right into the middle of the Tafee nose-on - which somewhat surprised me, and we almost didn't get turned and up to periscope depth in time, having been down at 250 below the thermal. All shots hit, but less than half detonated, even though I used impact on all of them, set at 12-18 foot, depending upon my target. I barely got the first shot on the Hiyo, as witnessed by that hole on the bow... The scenario starts at 7:00am, I was shooting by 0842 and depth-charged shortly thereafter. I had gotten away from the DD, no hull damage, only had the 4 rear tubes and the AA guns still damaged. The "leak hiss" sound was still going this time. Only leak is seen above the chief... then the game crashed at 1009 hours, about 20 minutes after I took us off of silent running. I'll try running this a few more times, and see what happens. I've got the Tafee set to spawn 100% of the time, so I should be able to replicate what happens. Is it that sound looping doing it? Is something else spawning right then?...

First impact

Look through the smoke and fire, and see the fifth impact, third explosion on the Jingei Maru

They threw 'em, they dropped 'em

Never very far from me

One finishes, another starts, a third waits...

The three amigos, coming around to do another run on me...

Old 03-03-19, 12:40 AM   #7662
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:

If you' re playing FOTRS 1.3...…... don't ask questions here!

This is Fotrs Ultimate, a TOTALLY different game!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 03:10 AM   #7663
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
If you' re playing FOTRS 1.3...…... don't ask questions here!

This is Fotrs Ultimate, a TOTALLY different game!
Ok

I thought the basics were the same. That’s why i asked here.
Old 03-03-19, 10:56 AM   #7664
propbeanie

The basics are the same throughout the SH4 base game for re-fits and boat upgrades.

As for the "crash" I experienced above, if I do not load the MSI AfterBurner app and then try to record the video, I do not crash. I'm trying some other options here, because I usually do not run into issues when using the app to record the game. For some reason, I am running out of memory for the game when using AfterBurner, going by the crash report. AfterBurner does not show in the report, but SH4 does, with a memory error. I will run my RAM through some tests later today, to make certain that I don't have a bad stick. One thought is that both apps are 32-bit, and might be occupying the same Windows memory space.

Right now, I'm trying some different Windows configurations and seeing if I can avoid a crash after that Task Force shows up. Being off Kii Suido at that time, there is a single DD that patrols the mouth of the Suido, another that is sometimes further out. I have also encountered several single and double merchant groups coming in from the north, and a convoy sometimes coming in from the south, along with this inbound Task Force, and the occasional outbound Task Force. The game however, does not crash unless I'm running the AfterBurner app and I have tried to record. More later, since I still haven't gotten through all of the possible groups spawning in the area...

Old 03-03-19, 12:01 PM   #7665
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I have often wanted to remove the sound altogether.
merc,
i edited the sound module and lowered the sound level of this particular sound. i have not started my next patrol yet but i am anticipating a quieter patrol...even if we take damage. depending on how the sound setting affects what i actually hear after taking damage, i may or may not uncheck the "loop" option for the sound. more to come......

LAA enabled