SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-09, 07:32 PM   #31
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Just uploaded a pretty basic video tutorial on YouTube.

It doesn't have any in-game footage, nor talks about the solution and speed solvers. It just specifically shows how to use the dials with a few examples.. as that is where the confusion seems to be.

the link will be in the original post as soon as youtube finishes processing it.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 07:36 PM   #32
gutted
The Old Man

It's finally ready.. see the original post.
Old 10-02-09, 11:30 PM   #33
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default gutted and hitman

gutted has the course right. The course is from the blue arrow at the stern of the boat (bearing of 180 degrees on the periscope) when you are in the boat). The front of the boat is its headiing (bearing of 0 degrees on the periscope). True course and true heading are determined using the compass or protractor tool. If those terms are correct, then let's use them. If not, I plead ignorance, you may accept the plea, and define the terms however you believe is appropriate.

Video: I understood about the first fifty seconds. I started dancing around the room with joy, yelling promote the man to the Chief of Staff, and then you rotated the all the dials 180 degrees, so the target and the view of it, changed from port to starboard. The target is on the same heading, but everything has rotated 180 degrees. If you gave an explanation of the reason for the rotation I did not understand it. Am I supposed to do that? Why did you do it? What is the purpose? Can you explain it in more detail ?

I will continue the video when I understand that point.

(p.s. If you confused Hitman, then I am not as dumb as I thought, as his tutorialon Manual Targeting at 100 percent realism is the masterpiece that hooked me on the game. Then Rockin Robbins took over training me and totally messed me up (He is the infamous captain whose boat sunk one of our own carreirs when it was en route to deliver top a secret weapon nicknamed Little Boy to Saipan) , and now your mod has me on my way to Happy Dale sanitarium.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 10-03-09 at 01:41 AM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 11:48 PM   #34
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
.... The front of the boat is its headiing .
uhh no.

where the front of the boat is pointing on the middle dial means nothing at all. that black AoB arrow on the front of the ship pointing at the middle dial really shouldn't even be there as it confuses people. It's only there because it was on the graphics i borrowed.. i may remove that arrow in a future update.

I sorta understand why its there.. but it should have been drawn differently. It shouldn't have been pointing at the middle dial and instead have been two circluar arrows bent back to point towards the AoB numbers on the inner dial.
Old 10-03-09, 12:04 AM   #35
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
.... then you rotated the all the dials 180 degrees, so the target and the view of it, changed from port to starboard. The target is on the same heading, but everything has rotated 180 degrees. If you gave an explanation of the reason for the rotation I did not understand it. Am I supposed to do that? Why did you do it? What is the purpose? Can you explain it in more detail ? .
because as i stated in the video.. that red vertical line overlayed over the dials (from the middle of the target dial to the bottom of the display) is the "Periscope Line". It is the direction you are looking.

Once you set your course, you rotate the whole thing (right click + drag) so that you are under that line. Putting 000 on the outer dial under the red line is like looking out the front of your boat.

If it's that confusing i guess i'll change it so that the blue arrow on the outer dial starts at the bottom instead of the top.

So if you prefer... put the blue arrow at the bottom.. then rotate the middle dial instead to set your course. I prefer my way, as it's more natural to have everything start in true polar coordinates.. and it's easier to see the blue arrow moving around than it is to read course numbers as you spin the middle dial. but that's just me. Also, before you re-orient the display.. its a snap to set the target's course.. because you dont have to hunt for the new locations on the middle dial (because it hasn't moved yet).
Old 10-03-09, 12:47 AM   #36
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Gutted tried out your little tool last night, really very cool.
Took some time to figure it out but once I did it was simple to use.

Lined up on a convoy and set up on a large freighter with a 31K solution
and a large tanker with a 41K solution. Got 4 good hits and both went down.

If it could only be incorporated into the game it would be traffic.

Nice work and thanks.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 02:44 AM   #37
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Hummmm you are right gutted, I just noticed that the wheel works in fact the opposite to my example. Not that it won't work as I did set it up, but the calculation for the solution will be wrong. The target/submarine relative positions won't be wrong however.

The problem is that the author of this wheel made it the opposite of the ral ones, with which I'm used to work.

I'll correct the example in a moment!
Old 10-03-09, 02:51 AM   #38
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default okay

gutted, your explanation for rotating the dials was great. It makes sense that 000 degrees is rotated to the he bottom of the dial as 000 is Own Ship's true course if Own Ship is heading due north.

As for the tutorial, so far the thing I would emhasize is that 000 degrees on the red line means you have rotated the display for the purpose of putting Own Boat's true (and relative?) course of 000 degrees in it s correct location assuming you were looking at the front of the boat through the periscope. At the begging of the video, I would announce the various techniques you will discuss and announce each technique again when you get to that subject. You explain things better than you think. Assume the listner is a novice, and you will get your message accross.

When you adjust periscope view of the target tog 330 of degrees on the outer blue ring, the AoB is 60 degrees. To turn perpendicular to the target use the "+" key. At default setting on the Solution Solver, this means the shoot bearing is 348.9 degrees.

If that is correct, I am figuring it out. If so, Hitman may be able to correct his screen shot (pretty please with chocolate!). I now have to conceptualize the view of the target and I am on my way.

I am off to the tutorial, and then target practice.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 10-03-09 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 03:00 AM   #39
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

OK, I uploaded the correct wheel set up. The main problem is that this wiz-wheel is absolutely counter-intuitive in its use

The red line for periscope bearing is fixed, while in fact it is the bearing wheel (outer blue one) which should be fixed!! The periscope moves, the bow doesn't. Or, alternatively, you could make the compass wheel (yellow) fixed because the true North will never move, and leave all other wheels free rotable (including the periscope bearing red marker). Actually, this last option would probably be the best for the game, as in the chart (Be it the map or attack chart) the true north is always at the top.

As it is now, the most easy way to set the wheel up is as follows (Setting up the dials from outside to inside):

1) Rotate the blue dial until the red line marks the current bearing to target (305º in my example)

2) Rotate the yellow dial until the true course of your submarine (due north in my example, zero degrees) matches the blue arrow in the outer blue dial

3) Rotate the innermost dial -target dial- until the target course (blue arrow in the target dial) matches the target's true course in the yellow dial (90º)

Alternative to 3): If you don't know yet the target's true course but instead have estimated his angle on the bow, rotate the innermost dial until the target AOB matches the red line of the scope bearing.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add, that the main problem is that one of the wheels needs to be inverted to what one would naturally think for the whole system to work. The author of this wheel chose to invert the compasswheel, instead of the submarine bearing wheel as is customary in all wheels I have seen, and hence the confusion. I'd strongly recommend to re-arrange the wheel for inverted submarine bearings, as otherwise everyone who learns to use this wheel will have later difficulties using other (real) wheels.
Old 10-03-09, 03:12 AM   #40
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Here is a preview of a replica I have done from a WW2 U-Boat wiz-wheel:

I'd very much like to adapt this graphics to your fabulous tool, gutted The outer black one is the yellow compass card, the inner white one is the target wheel. The red pointer is here the large squared one with arrows. This one has a one wheel less than the one in your tool, as it works with true bearings, not with relative ones.
Old 10-03-09, 03:23 AM   #41
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Hitman!!!

Jesus. Hitman, if I tried to figure out you last post, I would go back to the Dick O'Kane method. I agree the wheel is counter intuitive. But apparently some Captain's have figured out, or to appear brilliant, claim that they have. It would be helpful, if you can modify your example above if you have a handle on this, as I am fond of your screen shot explanations. I am plowing through the video and have the first part down. Meanwhile, I leave it to you, gutted, and other to determine if the wheel should be modified. I do not fully understand it, so I cannot recommend anything substantive at this point.
Old 10-03-09, 03:29 AM   #42
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
if I tried to figure out you last post, I would go back to the Dick O'Kane method.
LOL which one are you referring to? The one I explain how to use the wheel as it is now, or the one with a picture of a german wiz-wheel replica?
Old 10-03-09, 03:48 AM   #43
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Another nice -and historic!- skin for the tool

Old 10-03-09, 04:04 AM   #44
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default post 39 Hitman

Post 39 was too much for me.

I just tried the Sub School tutorial re firing torpedoes. The target was so close to the firing point a the beginning of the tutorial that I did do not have much time to set up. Own Ship was at course of 180 I think. Target course was 102.5 at 9 knots. I plugged the data into the wheel, rotated it 180 degrees and got the AoB. The SS saver said the firing angle was 349.5 degrees. When I rotated the dials on the wheel to 349.5, it indicated that it was a perpendicular firing angle. Next,I aimed the periscope at 349.5 degrees and hit the "=" key. I do not know how fast the ship turns, but I quickly fired four 46 kt. torpedoes at the target which was already starting to cross the firing wire. Two torpedoes exploded on the way to the target. The other two hit it amidships. This was not a perfect test, as the target was too close to the firing point that there is little time to set up far enough in advance to be sure the wheel works, but at least I hit the target.

I have a Dick O'Kane practice video and I will use it to set up shot and various angles to test the wheel. It looks promising and I am beginning to figure out gutted's Readme, which he might want to modify so it can be more easily followed. I am pretty sure the wheel, and will be a heck of a mod, up their with Nicolas' Easy AoB, which, along with your tutorial, really helped advance the game. I have knocked off three ships in an attack with Nicolas' mod, but with this, I might start getting four.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 10-03-09 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 04:37 AM   #45
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

OK, I understand

Here is a very quick and dirty job of adding new skins, so people can have an idea of the wheel's potential: