SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-11, 05:18 PM   #1
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0
Default Fatal Fatal modding errors...

Ive been working for 4 days trying to remedy my modding blues but i cannot do it. Ive tried to stay away from asking too many questions on the forums and do it on my own but ive failed . Now it appears i may have damaged SH3 pretty good...

After many uninstalls, reinstalls, mod manual reads, do it myself attempts, i tried to just install a nice little version of NYGM not heavily burdened with outside mods. But even this has ran into errors...

Im just going to try and tell you mod genius's what i want and how i can achieve this. It may not be possible due to conflicts, but ill settle with whats best.

Here is my current problem. I am running nYGM 2.5. Here is the rest in order i have installed...

NYGM 3_nEW
Harbor Traffic
NYGM Hi_Res Subs
MFM 3.2
MFM_Interim Beta NYGM
Enhanced Modding Tools
Das Boot CLothes
Hitman_GUI_NYGM 3_1.1

And here is the problem....

Dials are in the wrong places.. My UZO, Peri, ObPeri doesnt look right.
I cannot hear my fellow seamen when i give them orders, only sounds of aicraft, aircraft MGs, diesles running
CTDs
Random CTDs when i start loading...

Here is my ideal mod setup, whicvh i hope somebody can help me on. I am getting so frustrated im losing MORE hair.

Id love to run NYGM and its mods, minus Hitman GUI if i can run:

Depth Charge Shake, FM_NI, MaGUI F, RealNav, MFM... I understand 1 or 2 of these mods may have to be scrapped due to conflicts. But if i can get some more insight on proper install orders for these mods id love it! Trial and Error is not working for me.

I am in the process of uninstalling SH3 and Sh3commander again. I know i have to delete the folders also and ive done that. My documents/folder is clear of SH3 files also. Ive tried to find a free registrycleaner but free only goes so far and it usually tries to have me buy it to run full registry cleanup.

So thanks modders for all these wonderful mods! I hope someday i can run them properly!
Old 04-09-11, 03:14 AM   #2
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default Reinstall SH3.

The best thing to do when you get into a tangle like this is to start all over again.

First of all, un-install ALL mods for SH3 (I presume you used JScones' famous JSGME to install them? If not, do so in future).

Then use the uninstall facility on your SH3 disk to complete the remainder of the uninstallation as far as it allows (I don't know whether the Steam versions allow this).

Then delete your silenthunteriii folder and all its contents completely.
And finally, and this is very important, DELETE the folder my documents\SH3. (If it contains some of your important campaigns, then rename folder SH3 instead to XXXSH3XX, but it is unlikely that you will be able to use these files again in a clean installation of SH3 after a defective installation.)

Now reinstall SH3. Make sure you have the Starforce-free version. In fact, if you do not already have it, I would advise buying the very cheap versions of SH3 now available from Amazon (US, UK, Europe). Then you will have a version of SH3.exe which can be patched with H.sie's fixes for the main file itself.

TEST your set up at this stage to make sure that it works!!

Then install NYGM 2.5. Test again.
Then install NYGM 3_New. Test again.
Then install NYGM 3_4A. Test again.

All should be working safely by this point.

Now we come to the less certain mods. Rename your new folder mydocuments\SH3 to mydocuments\YYYSH3YY in order to disable it temporarily. This is the folder which you restore if anything else goes wrong later, by renaming it to \SH3. Also, if you have plenty of disk space, or better a new disk partition (eg a D: drive on your hard disk), copy all of your C:\ubisoft\silenthunteriii folder across to it as a back-up.

Now reinstall the other mods one by one, (start with Hitman's, which should definitely be safe) testing each one as you go (you will now have another mydocuments\sh3 folder).

Leave the 'Enhanced modding tools' mod to last. I have no knowledge of this mod. (But I would guess that it is affecting Hitman's mod.)

This systematic approach will restore your game, and will also tell you if any mod is causing problems. If the problem mod is one from the NYGM download page on SubSim (click on my signature below), then reload the file. It may have had a minor update since you last downloaded it, or it may have downloaded corruptly.

Best of luck!

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 10:06 AM   #3
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0

Thank you Steibler

I think I already recognized the problem. The nygm install order was wrong. I thought it was:
Nygm 2.5
Nygm 3_4a
Nygm 3_new

I just recently bought sh3 on d2d so its a starforce free copy patched to 1.4b.
When I uninstall sh3 I believe the sh3 folder in my documents is removed to. I don't see it when I look for it after the uninstall. Anyway thank for the tips ill try it out again.