SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-17, 06:08 PM   #1
supcapn
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Support Steam SH4 v1.5 wont work after copied to ther folder!

Hi everyone.

So i have been adviced to make a new thread about this problem i encountered

Basically i bought SH4 plus expansion on steam and after i copied the game folder to another location for the reason of adding mods.
The game wont run from this folder - this is my problem.

When tapping the SH4 icon (as admin = same problem) i get a dialouge box which says in the topbar: "Steam error".
There is a red-cirkel-with-cross-sign and in the box it says:
"Application load error 2:0000065558".
(I cant figure out how to put in screendumps..?)

I tried following this guide:
1) Install Silent Hunter 4 via steam
2) Find the copy of SH4 inside your steam folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\ Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 4.
3) Now paste the entire Silent Hunter 4 folder somewhere on your hard disk like C:\Games\Silent Hunter 4
4) Rename your Silent Hunter 4 folder to "SilentHunter4". It is important that the name has no spaces.
5) Start the SH4.exe

Also i installed SH4 v1.3 (i hear thats the version u get from Steam) and afterwards i installed the expansion. I belive that the expansion is installed on top of the existing game, so therefor it is in the same Steam-designated-folder. Then i copy it and put it in another folder according to the guide.

I dont know why it dosent work. Also, im not too good with these kind of things - i just follow the guide and hope for the best

I run win7 home premium 64-bot on a laptop, Packard Bell. The laptop is strong enough to run the game.

The steam version which creates a shortcut on my desktop works fine.

For more info this is the original thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...62#post2458862

I hope someone can help - cant wait to be underwater fearing the sonar signals
Old 01-17-17, 07:51 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Have you tried to re-install SH4 via your online Steam account, and put it in a different directory from there in the Steam manager? It might be easier to go that route.

Your computer might have the UAC turned all the way up, which is User Access (or Account) Control. It protects Windows from you, in theory, but also keeps you from doing what you want with the box. Do you have Windows 8 or 10?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 08:00 PM   #3
supcapn
Swabbie

Hi propbeanie.

I have windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

I havent tried re-installing, but i might as well try that. But what exactly do you mean? Do you want me to install the game in another place than what steam suggests? I dont remember getting that option - i think steam puts it where steam wants it, so to speak...

I will try re-installing and do the same again.
Old 01-17-17, 09:23 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Try this post:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...21&postcount=3

Secifically the part from dodougla

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:38 PM   #5
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180

I don't think you can install a Steam game, then take that whole installed game folder and copy it somewhere else, and have it run. You would need to install the game directly from Steam to whatever destination you want. You can choose where to install games from Steam. The C:\Program Files (x86)\ Steam\steamapps\common is just the default.

Last edited by Factor; 01-17-17 at 11:03 PM.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 12:49 AM   #6
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I don't think you can install a Steam game, then take that whole installed game folder and copy it somewhere else, and have it run.
That's exactly it, if it's a steam game then it needs to be in it's steam directory and probably because the Steam DRM is kicking in as well preventing the application from starting. What OP should do now is forget the guide (because it's not going to work), make a backup copy the game folder and play the proper steam installed game.

And in the future supcapn, copying and pasting steam games somewhere else and expecting them to run will not work. That guide you were using may have worked if you had the disc copy or a non DRM digital copy of SH4 but not for steam games.

As for the backup I mentioned before, if something goes wrong with your game and you need to reinstall. Just simply uninstall the game via steam and then copy your backup folder into steamapps/common and click install on steam and it will notice you have existing files (of the backup you've just copied and pasted in the steam directory). This is just much quicker solution than uninstalling and redownloading the game again.

Last edited by Delanski; 01-18-17 at 08:09 AM.
Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 09:05 AM   #7
supcapn
Swabbie

Icon14 Mission accomplished!

Hi everyone!

I made it! Thanks to u

I changed the steam default folder and then i installed the game. Then i installed jgsme in the game folder and then adding the GFO mod. And when i started the game it was different - it said GFO in the beginning. (It still says v1.5 in the main menu - i read it should say 1.6, but then again i also read something about rights and so on, so i gues webster changed it to v1.5 again).

Now i can go on and experiment with other mods! Thanks a lot!