SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-16, 12:59 PM   #1
Loudspeaker
Bosun

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0
Default Sinking for no reason

I would like to call myself an experienced player having played this game for years. But now I have run into a very annoying problem, which I have never seen before. When submerged in hostile waters, I sometimes just sink and die. It has happened to me twice in a row, ending two careers the same way, and this made me suspect that a bug is causing this. Here is what happens:

During day time and having no air warning system I dive to 90 feet and keep it going there untill nightfall, where I will submerge and recharge batteries. Much to my surprise, I just sink without any warnings of any kind. The hull just takes severe damage at the 90 feet depth. It's like the boat just crushes like a piece of paper. I don't know for sure, if I was attacked, but it seems very unlikely. It happened to me in an S-boat in my previous career and just right now in a Gar-class submarine (time compression 512).

The only changes on my computer have been a damned and unwanted upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, but my mods are still the same as always:

RFB 2.0 along with RSRD.

It is a mystery to me what is happening. What is wrong?
Loudspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 02:53 PM   #2
Taucheisen
Swabbie

Downloads: 299

Maybe you hit a mine? There are lots of them after September 1942 (Stock 1.5)
Taucheisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 05:46 PM   #3
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudspeaker View Post
I would like to call myself an experienced player having played this game for years. But now I have run into a very annoying problem, which I have never seen before. When submerged in hostile waters, I sometimes just sink and die. It has happened to me twice in a row, ending two careers the same way, and this made me suspect that a bug is causing this. Here is what happens:

During day time and having no air warning system I dive to 90 feet and keep it going there untill nightfall, where I will submerge and recharge batteries. Much to my surprise, I just sink without any warnings of any kind. The hull just takes severe damage at the 90 feet depth. It's like the boat just crushes like a piece of paper. I don't know for sure, if I was attacked, but it seems very unlikely. It happened to me in an S-boat in my previous career and just right now in a Gar-class submarine (time compression 512).

The only changes on my computer have been a damned and unwanted upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, but my mods are still the same as always:

RFB 2.0 along with RSRD.

It is a mystery to me what is happening. What is wrong?
After making the upgrade from Win 7 to 10 are you using the same install of SH4 or do a complete fresh install and start over?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 08:53 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
After making the upgrade from Win 7 to 10 are you using the same install of SH4 or do a complete fresh install and start over?
'zactly... and your "Saves" might be toast too...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 09:58 AM   #5
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

I leave the free camera available, and after one of the sudden sinking events I reloaded a save and used the camera to check the waters around me, near the southern end of Formosa Strait. I found it loaded with mines! I'm sure there are many other areas similarly mined. Ducimus got me!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 11:38 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

There is no safety in diving during the day and surfacing at night to recharge batteries. And you will develop only 1/4 of the targets you would have developed, had you remained on the surface.

It's like the Germans' grand plan to use a snorkel to remain submerged during the day. They were blind. And they were unaware that their snorkel was a homing beacon, a most excellent radar reflector. They were not safe at all! They just never knew what killed them.

Wearing a blindfold is not the same as not being able to be seen. Submariners should learn that simple fact.

Not only that, but when you deplete your batteries you are not ready for any combat at all! On the surface your fuel consumption doubles or triples as you recharge batteries, cutting your range by the same factor and making you a less successful sub skipper. And suppose you get pinned down by action with your batteries half charged?

Now you can run half as fast, only half as far before you are forced to surface and die because you are unprepared for action in the false belief that hiding below the surface makes you safe.

The truth is that it makes it many times more dangerous for all these reasons. A submarine is a surface raider which can submerge for the shortest possible amount of time when absolutely necessary to save your fool hide and those of your crew.

Stay on the surface and live! Stay on the surface and sink four times more targets per patrol. Airplanes? That is what lookouts are for. War ain't supposed to be safe. But it IS supposed to be fought, not hidden from.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 11:47 AM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

The area just south of Honshu at the eastern entrance to S. Japan's 'Inland Sea' - Ku Suido - is heavily mined, and that was the location I was sunk by a mine for the first time. Submerged at sunrise to creep in, and BOOM (although there was no boom, it's that fast though, and over).

The excellent Win 10 upgrade remark by cdrsubron7 is another good possibility, as is plowing into a tiny '1 pixel' (single square) Is.
-
Edit: RR is correct about staying on the surface, however I was following early war orders to submerge during daylight hours. This protocol was soon changed.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 11-02-16 at 11:55 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 02:45 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
-
Edit: RR is correct about staying on the surface, however I was following early war orders to submerge during daylight hours. This protocol was soon changed.

Happy Hunting!
Ah! But the policy was changed because brave sub commanders disobeyed those orders, knowing it was better to be alive and begging forgiveness than dead and considered a hero. Of course, in the process of saving their necks they developed a lot more contacts and sank more tonnage than those who merely obeyed orders.

Lockwood was a smart enough cookie to see a good thing when it was served to him on a silver platter. But make no mistake. It was the sub commanders disobeying his orders who changed the paradygm.

Hiding in wartime is not safe. It's more dangerous than doing your job.

Patton said it best "The best way to deal with fear of losing your life is to make the enemy more afraid of losing his."
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 03:42 PM   #9
Prometheus
Helmsman

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 1

hmm we need to bring that sub up from bottom of the sea and examine it, than we may have a clue what happened and do all what is necessary to prevent it from happening again.

Prometheus
Mod for SH3 - Hull damage made by torpedo impact.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5060
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 01:47 PM   #10
Loudspeaker
Bosun

Downloads: 56

Thanks for all the replies. It proves to me that this forum is not only active - this game still have alot of fans. Also I am pleased to see that the most extingused RR took his time to share his knowledge with me. Sub commanders often found their own ways to do things even if command told them to do something else.

I was told that the famous German ace, Otto Kretschmer, got his nickname "silent otto" not only because he was a captain of few words, but also because he didn't often reply to the never ending messages from BdU. He had soon realized that those replies often were followed by an attack by the Allies, who ofcourse were able to position any big mouthed German sub commander.

I reason that mines were my problem, and that they were the reason for my abrupt sinkings. I will give RFB another go and report back if I notice the same thing over and over again.

Thanks for the replies - but remember... The Japs may have gotten them too. Stay alert on your next patrol
Loudspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-19, 11:09 AM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I leave the free camera available, and after one of the sudden sinking events I reloaded a save and used the camera to check the waters around me, near the southern end of Formosa Strait. I found it loaded with mines! I'm sure there are many other areas similarly mined. Ducimus got me!

Mines!
for the first time i actually ran into one. it blew my topside to hell.
what i wanted to discuss is why it activated at all.
i was patrolling in Area 7. Deep water. submerged to 200 feet. stalking a small convoy. all of sudden, i am taking topside damage. no injuries. periscopes and weapons damage, only. only? well, i had to break off contact and fix the damned scopes before returning to action.

after the mission was completed i fired up the Mission Editor and loaded the Jap_Mines file and there it was...Area 7 it is rife with minefields. so, i located the field that i had sailed into and found that the mines are set to activate between -20 and -35 meters. 35 meters is approximately 115 feet. ME does not indicate the type but the .MIS indicates a Type=500. unfortunately i do not have access to the type-table so i do not know what type it is.

anyway, the issue that has me perplexed is that i was at 200 feet yet i activated a mine whose deepest activation is 115 feet.either i am missing something basic or Ubisoft got me.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 03-31-19 at 01:18 PM.
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-19, 06:50 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... and just what do you think holds that mine at its depth? Magic fairy pixie dust? Why no, it's an anchored cable (usually), and your right-front dive plane hooked it, and pulled the mine down to your depth - "KA-BLOO-IE"...

I don't know if they simulate that, but St. Peter would be able to tell you...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 08:48 AM   #13
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... and just what do you think holds that mine at its depth? Magic fairy pixie dust? Why no, it's an anchored cable (usually), and your right-front dive plane hooked it, and pulled the mine down to your depth - "KA-BLOO-IE"...

I don't know if they simulate that, but St. Peter would be able to tell you...

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 11:42 AM   #14
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

While on the subject of mines, is there anyway to watch out for them while patrolling an area?

I've been sunk a few times, Like a bomb out of nowhere.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 06:08 PM   #15
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42

Not unless you view the external camera and they are underwater so it would be very tedious. There are just some areas you should stay away from, like the coast of China along the East China Sea, The entrance to the Sea of Japan and Places along the Formosa Strait. These are not ALL of the areas that are mined by the way, just the places I have had the unpleasant experience of hitting them.

The mines have to be in reasonably shallow water too since they have to be anchored to the sea floor by a cable.
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote