SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-16, 10:23 PM   #1
Ca[t White
Helmsman

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Course Plotting

I would like to know How exactly do you plot a course in game from point A to point B. Or do I just stick with using to way points? I want to be good at course plotting. Also I would like to know the best tactic for taking on enemy ships in raining weather or foggy weather when visibility is low and all I have to rely on is instruments. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ca[t White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 09:43 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Sub school in the game has that laid out. pretty easy. You just make "waypoints" out as far as you want to go. Be sure to check for Islands in your path.

Attacking in rain, etc.: obviously you need to get closer. I have found around 750 yds. (+/-) you can see well enough to get the job the done. And, if they are hard to find, your periscope is harder.

you've been here since July 2009, are you asking about a different game?
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 08:50 AM   #3
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126
Default Basic Captain techniques

I made a video some time back that covers aspects of course plotting and many other seamanship practices. Its quite long but it covers a lot. So much information that you may have to watch parts over a few times to grasp concepts.

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 11:41 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

For attacking in bad weather (that's GOOD weather for the submarine), ze doktor prescribes taking zis video und call him in ze morning:

And why can't we actually paste videos at Subsim? I'm used to being able to embed videos in forums.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 12:18 PM   #5
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

In reference to setting a course, what alternative do you suggest, just setting a heading on your compass and going? That doesn't work in the game for some reason - I'd like to say that it's because of using a Mercator projection for the game map. Regardless of the reason, you can observe from setting a distant waypoint at a different latitude that the autopilot will have to correct course along the way (you can see it flipping the rudder a little every so often). IIRC, it usually has to keep readjusting in a more polar direction, ie if you are going Southwest it will be repeatedly turning left a little b/c it keeps drifting north of its intended endpoint. I would have to recheck (haven't simply played in a while), nor am I sure quite what would happen if the course crossed the equator...