SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-13, 04:32 PM   #11
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
SHV I think was a victim of poor project planning, the decision to completely overhaul the interface was the first major error. Imposing a linear path RPG elements in a supposedly dynamic game the second. Then either the project ran out of time to develop the full war timescale or they planned an addon which never materialised. The final nail in the coffin was of course the horrible always on DRM system which should never have been imposed on what is essentially a single player offline experience.

SHO also seems ill conceived but at least it is an evolution and it certainly is something that has not been done before, in gameplay terms it reminds me more of the ancient Novalogic "Wolfpack" title than any SH game. I am prepared to give it a chance. For a supposedly dead niche genre Ubi seem intent on making another attempt when most of us had completely given up hope of seeing anything from them again. I just wish they would ask what their community want before starting work rather than when the project is virtually complete.

Gotta disagree partially that it's all about the bottom line, sure Ubi is a business and they have to make money but why in the name of hell would they sink their money into something as niche and risky as a subsim supposedly is? It's not that they hate their customers it's that they think they know best and do not listen enough to their own communities. What they need is a brand manager/consultant from the community (someone like Neal) who can play an important part in each stage of the development process, shaping their products based upon the majority of community's wishes.
I need to buy you a beer. Great points.

Quote:
SHV I think was a victim of poor project planning, the decision to completely overhaul the interface was the first major error. Imposing a linear path RPG elements in a supposedly dynamic game the second.
Redefining the interface was a really stupid move I think. If you have never played a subsim, it's not that big of a deal, but if you've ever played a subsim, those changes are big because you can't seemlessly change between games.

SH5 reminds me more of the sims at sea. I gon't over the eye candy really fast.

Quote:
SHO also seems ill conceived but at least it is an evolution and it certainly is something that has not been done before, in gameplay terms it reminds me more of the ancient Novalogic "Wolfpack" title than any SH game.
That was the first thing I thought when I saw it.

In regards to the business side, I blame the bean counters higher up in the food chain. I don't think they have any interest in naval wargames. You really need to have people that have an interest in the product to promote it. That's the exact problem E:RT had with Dreamcatcher. E:RT was selling well, but Dreamcatcher spent all their money and time promoting some other shooter game.

It would be like subsim promoting fantasy games. It would get a thread and nothing else.