SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-16, 08:55 AM   #1441
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Those are beautiful and you two have become modding madmen in your own right! Now, did you name them all xxxx Maru Class, or drop the Class on all? I think they should state "Class" unless there's only one of them in the game. And we know the game will give you a Yamato a week if you send in the Wheaties box tops!
Thanks for the compliments, boss. If you'd like class added to the end of the maru names, that can be simply done.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 09:02 AM   #1442
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm not touching the conning tower placement, so there will be no correction to the error the game provides.
Will there be an OTC version for FOTRS?
Old 08-20-16, 09:22 AM   #1443
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
Will there be an OTC version for FOTRS?
There is a simplified optional OTC for FOTRS Ultimate.

In the definitive mod....

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 09:34 AM   #1444
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

The corrected periscopes only from OTC will be incorporated into the core of FOTRS. We elected to go with plugin mods for the perfect recognition manual, elected not to move the conning tower to compensate for errors in fore and aft stadimeter distance measurements. There are other adjustments in OTC that will be available in plugins, possibly including the option to move the conning tower to make distance measurements equal between the zero and 180 bearings. CapnScurvy is producing these plugins, so you know it will be done right.

The reason for this is that our guiding principle is that the player is in charge of his game. You should not have to choose between having a collection of changes or no changes at all. We will have a large collection of single purpose plugin mods that will allow you to decide how YOUR FOTRS Ultimate will play, with as few restrictions on your right to choose as possible.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 09:45 AM   #1445
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Wow, three posts while I'm typing...

Optional add-in mod sounds good to me too, cdrsubron7

In the process of downloading the cdrsubron7 and max-peck additions...

@ Rockin Robbins: I have the slow-down installed, and I have encountered multiple (too many) DD hunter groups. The smallest was 2 DD, the "largest" group has been 4 ships, with 2 DD, a DE & a patrol craft (near Luzon Jan 1945). In all instances, while the DDs can still turn on a dime, and they can still go fast, they do not seem to be able to get up to speed, or slowdown / stop, as rapidly as they did prior to XTBilly's mod.

In a convoy, after hitting a ship, and then shadowing it to finish it off, one of the DDs stayed nearby, looking for me. The wounded ship was doing about 1.5 knots and slowing, the DD at the time I attacked it, was doing 5-6 knots. There's an earlier post with this:
[/URL]

but it's several pages, to a dozen pages back, and I couldn't find it right away. Suffice to say, that I shot from like 700 yards and hit the DD, whereas without the mod a few days earlier, I had missed a similar shot because of the "jackrabbit" start of the DD.

The Hunter Groups are similar, and I have sunk maybe a half-dozen of them in a similar number of encounters. However, they've gotten me twice. My advice would still be "avoidance" is the best policy. Only problem is, you can't hardly avoid something that you don't know what it is until you can get close enough to see it, and by then, it's entirely too late...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 09:51 AM   #1446
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

The whole process of doing this was to point to AOTD_MadMax's work and bring it up to speed for SH4 1.5. His intent was to produce an encompassing experience for the game.....both sides of the game.

All those new ships he's added, his intent was to have both sides use them within the realm of believability (the Kaga wasn't going to be turned over to the American side and called something else. It stays on the Japanese side...called what's it called). The new ships that he put onto the Jap side, coming from his inventory wasn't just for the Jap side. He also has most of them used on the allied side, for good reason......he expected the game to be played on the German side too. After all that's his nationality, that's his interest. I don't think his intent for FOTRS SH4 1.5 was to have his work thrown out on one side....especially his side.

You asked what you could do, I gave you a suggestion about renaming ships that have generic names like "Big Old This", or "Small Modern That" expecting to have them called a better sounding name, except for the ships that cross nationalities. It's my opinion that those ships should have a new name that fits it genetically for all sides, not just a name that fits just when playing the American side of play. Those ships that only appear for the Japanese, can be called a"xxxx Maru", but if it crosses nationality, a generic name is best.

If you really want to follow the real world naming system, the American system wouldn't be using a Maru anyway.....it would classify the ships by their structure. Something like 3 Mast, 1 Funnel Freighter. In your research, didn't you run across that type of naming structure found in some of the ONI Manuals?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 10:10 AM   #1447
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
You asked what you could do, I gave you a suggestion about renaming ships that have generic names like "Big Old This", or "Small Modern That" expecting to have them called a better sounding name, except for the ships that cross nationalities. It's my opinion that those ships should have a new name that fits it genetically for all sides, not just a name that fits just when playing the American side of play. Those ships that only appear for the Japanese, can be called a"xxxx Maru", but if it crosses nationality, a generic name is best.
Can I just point this out?
We have already suggested that this could be an optional extra, rather than be part of the core mod

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 10:27 AM   #1448
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
If you really want to follow the real world naming system, the American system wouldn't be using a Maru anyway.....it would classify the ships by their structure. Something like 3 Mast, 1 Funnel Freighter. In your research, didn't you run across that type of naming structure found in some of the ONI Manuals?
You may think that
However - having just finished reading both Silent Victory and Thunder Below,
BOTH of them have many patrol reports sinking Something Maru

So not that unrealistic after all

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-20-16, 10:59 AM   #1449
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

I think we all need to take a step back and think for a moment.

Quote:
The reason for this is that our guiding principle is that the player is in charge of his game. You should not have to choose between having a collection of changes or no changes at all. We will have a large collection of single purpose plugin mods that will allow you to decide how YOUR FOTRS Ultimate will play, with as few restrictions on your right to choose as possible.
This is the gist of everything we're doing here. Giving people a choice on how they want to proceed with the game. We know that people will change elements of the game to favor they're style of play. So FOTRSU can't be put out this way or another without leaving the choices up to the individuals on how to proceed.

OK, I'm getting off my soap box. Everybody was right here, we're just trying to blend those ideas together, and have been doing a pretty good job so far.

Old 08-20-16, 11:26 AM   #1450
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I think we all need to take a step back and think for a moment.

This is the gist of everything we're doing here. Giving people a choice on how they want to proceed with the game. We know that people will change elements of the game to favor they're style of play. So FOTRSU can't be put out this way or another without leaving the choices up to the individuals on how to proceed.

OK, I'm getting off my soap box. Everybody was right here, we're just trying to blend those ideas together, and have been doing a pretty good job so far.
Sounds like a good idea

Backs up what I have been saying - the ship name thing can be an optional extra

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-20-16, 11:36 AM   #1451
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Good afternoon Everyone,

Using the Beta v.1 edition, as i was leaving Pearl Harbor I noticed this ship camping in the Terran on the left of the main inbound / outbound channel.

Big Old Tanker

link to image : https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview....18.15_458.bmp

Also I have noticed the Museum is very unstable, CTD's are random.
Several times viewing the same vessel i have noticed that it again randomly loads skins or misses skins - or even sends the ships to snorkel depth.

Regards,
s7rikeback.

Last edited by s7rikeback; 08-20-16 at 11:49 AM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 01:15 PM   #1452
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Good to see you playing already s7rikeback! The Museum is very large and demands that the system resources not be cluttered up. The size of RAM on your computer has nothing to do with this. Programs such as Game Booster can clear up system resources and the museum will run fine, even on 2 GB of RAM. We're pushing the limits of fixed sized Windows elements here.

The game itself should have no such problems. What do you mean by it "sends ships to snorkel depth?" You mean then dive under the water like a submarine?

And how about some system specs, operating system, RAM, motherboard, hard drive, etc. That would help in deciding if we have to make some changes in the cause of gameplay issues.

On the naming issue. I can see both sides equally well. One side says that the Japanese called these ships by these names and we should call them that also. It's not a Zeke, it's a Mitsubishi A6M Zero.

The other says that during the war Allies used their own nomenclature not related to the Japanese names. They were Zekes, @#$@#%$# it!

I can see that. And I've thought that the Japanese names were most appropriate and even said that to Max. But then CapnScurvy opened his mouth and uttered the magic words "keeping the core mod as close to MadMax as we can." and that really is the hydrogen bomb of mod arguments here. So, lets clean up the names in the core mod with more appropriate sounding designations "Big Modern Freighter" type, modeling them after the ONI manual whenever possible.

Then an add-on will be available for those who wish to use the Japanese designations for those targets. War's over! Everybody wins! Sorry if you died before we declared victory. Won't happen again.

S7rikeback, your link points to the Dropbox signup routine.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 01:35 PM   #1453
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Hey boss
Are you still wanting the word class on the end of the Maru names for the Japanese Maru optional mod? If so, I'll make the appropriate changes to the mod tonight after I get home from work.

Old 08-20-16, 02:02 PM   #1454
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
The game itself should have no such problems. What do you mean by it "sends ships to snorkel depth?" You mean then dive under the water like a submarine?
I think this is linked to my museum issues - as the very next time i open the same ship, all the skins work and yet the next ship which was working before now is partially submerged in the water.

Quote:
And how about some system specs, operating system, RAM, motherboard, hard drive, etc. That would help in deciding if we have to make some changes in the cause of gameplay issues.
Windows 10 64 bit
HP Pavilion Laptop
2TB HDD
8 GB RAM
AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.10GHz

Quote:
S7rikeback, your link points to the Dropbox signup routine.
Try this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji5h2gva05...5_458.bmp?dl=0

Quote:
I can see that. And I've thought that the Japanese names were most appropriate and even said that to Max. But then CapnScurvy opened his mouth and uttered the magic words "keeping the core mod as close to MadMax as we can." and that really is the hydrogen bomb of mod arguments here. So, lets clean up the names in the core mod with more appropriate sounding designations "Big Modern Freighter" type, modeling them after the ONI manual whenever possible.

Then an add-on will be available for those who wish to use the Japanese designations for those targets. War's over! Everybody wins! Sorry if you died before we declared victory. Won't happen again.
No worry's at all from my end.

Regards,
s7rikeback
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 03:10 PM   #1455
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
I think this is linked to my museum issues - as the very next time i open the same ship, all the skins work and yet the next ship which was working before now is partially submerged in the water...

Windows 10 64 bit
HP Pavilion Laptop
2TB HDD
8 GB RAM
AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.10GHz...

Try this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji5h2gva05...5_458.bmp?dl=0 ...
Nice computer. The Radeon APU, can you set how much of the system ram it can use? How much does the system assign to it by default?

I'm not sure how well those Game Booster apps work with Win8 and Win10, but for Win7-64 on my machine, it made a world of difference. I couldn't run the Museum at all, prior to using one, but now it runs really well. cdrsubron7 has issues also, has a nice system and uses Win10-64, so we might have to look into this some more. But, are you sure you don't have mod soup? (just in case).

Merhaps there's a Merchant Marine Museum right there on shore in your picture?... 'course, why it'd be half filled with dirt and trees is beyond me... tic

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote