SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-17, 07:38 AM   #1
IDontSwimWell
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Steam version vs. retail?

I had no luck in correcting the black screen issue with my Steam version of SH4.
Is there a difference in the two versions? Appreciate the feedback all.

Thanks

IDSW

- Ralph Waldo Emerson -
IDontSwimWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 08:28 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

The Steam version uses Steam's licensing procedure. The big thing with the game in the "modern" Windows OS is the install directory. The Steam install will default to "C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ game structure", which is fine if you don't plan on making any changes to game files, such as mods or settings in the game. Windows now protects its system folders from "unauthorized" changes, meaning anything that Windows doesn't do. The game was written in the early days of Windows XP - no service packs, and as such, had no similar "protection" scheme.

Another major issue is the Windows User Access Control (UAC), which was ostensibly another "protection" layer that the user could control. Vista was the first version with it, and if you did a "default" install of Vista, you would get twenty questions for each app you went to run on the computer, including ones that were part of the OS install. Most users turned the intrusions down. This is where the Compatibility tab of the Properties for the SH4.exe come in, with the "Run this program as an administrator" and "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" come in. Even Windows XP with SP3 has been polluted with some of this... with Vista and the versions after, it cannot be avoided.

Couple all of that with the latest Windows update that coincided with the Win10 Founders Update (I could display an acronym there, but I won't) and you potentially have a black screen that might need the display driver rolled back. See THEBERBSTER's thread "SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX #12 post for the video, and #3 for the moving Steam...

Steam version of SH3, 4, & 5 can all be made to work, it's just a bit of a bother, with each version being slightly different in approach, some (SH5) being more difficult than the others.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 11:38 AM   #3
IDontSwimWell
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by See THEBERBSTER's thread "[URL="http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2297818#post2297818"
SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX[/URL] #12 post for the video, and #3 for the moving Steam...

Steam version of SH3, 4, & 5 can all be made to work, it's just a bit of a bother, with each version being slightly different in approach, some (SH5) being more difficult than the others.
Pretty sure I tried this early didn't work or help but then I could have been me.
I think I'll order from Amazon see if I can get it to work.

Thanks

- Ralph Waldo Emerson -
Old 06-30-17, 12:36 PM   #4
IDontSwimWell
Swabbie

Default Update

Just installed the retail version for Amazon. Followed the instructions for Win10 Black screen and this time worked.

Thanks much guys for the help

IDSW

- Ralph Waldo Emerson -