SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-18, 10:58 PM   #6121
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yes, but most times, they have to hit your conn for the torps to explode, else they'll pass over you, so if you see the screen pop-up, crash dive, which does the ahead flank, and you might get missed by that one - of course though, you could well drive into the path of another two...

One thing I wonder though, you say it was dark, and they saw your scope, you're guessing, by the moonlight? That would be off a bit, I would think, but continuous scope up might contribute... As a basic necessity, CapnScurvy brought the torpedo firing range in to 1500 yards or less, else the ships / subs ran themselves out of torpedoes, so there's really not a lot of reaction time to them. If there was an actually way to get "AI_Aiming", we'd have it made, and could take their shooting range out further, allowing for an actual good reaction to them - if a person is paying attention... - I have a difficult time as it is, remembering about airplanes and bombs when cruising along at PD, lining up for a shot...
yes, I was in the moonlight .. I know a big mistake of mine...
This new feature increases realism .. you have done a great job.
Old 06-07-18, 11:06 PM   #6122
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
War is hell and you're getting a taste of it! I've no intention to remove a historical part of warfare just because your having to encounter it for the first time in a game!
Not saying to remove it from the base mod. An ADD-ON to remove it if the player so decides. And we have hashed over this before. Japanese ASW vessels shooting torpedo's at sub's isn't remotely historical. And I haven't yet played the new update because of the torpedo's and I don't plane to. You want to be rude about a request then I'll be rude right back.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 02:48 AM   #6123
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
FOTRS Ultimate Team,
I too have noticed that the gauges in the control room, conning tower and the bridge have been frozen except at the beginning before saving. I received a new boat after the porpoise class, a tambor class boat. After leaving Pearl Harbor, all the gauges worked to whatever the settings on the task bar were. After saving, I now noticed that they are frozen. I went back to the first save after receiving the current the boat and loaded the save. Where the gauges were working, after loading the save, they are frozen.

I hope this adds another cue as to why this is happening.
Hi
Larrywb57, your problem could be this...
you have only 2 Giga of memory RAM on a 32bit S.O..
this is reported on the official LAA website: "It is not advised to use this application if you have less than 3 GiB of RAM." look here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/

Maybe your problems start here, LAA no working good in your PC
Old 06-08-18, 06:35 AM   #6124
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 369
Support

Quote:
I have trouble with "Volumetric fog" and "Vertical Sync" on my computer, but I don't think that would explain the gauges issue you have... - then again, stranger things happen in this game... We'll try to dig some into this Larrywb57, and see if I can re-create what you have - but you've gotten this with a Tambor and a Porpoise now?
Yes Sir, in both classes of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
I ask.. You installed LAA?.. Your S.O 64 bit.. right?
You exit by the game often With the keys ALT + TAB or similar keys..win key ?.. (Italian keyboard different I don't know your keyboard )
Hello hauangua,
No, I'm not using laa because my computer doesn't have enough ram to support it. And no sir, I don't ALT+TAB out of the game because of the problems of using keys can cause. I save the game and exit completely from SH4. When I'm ready to resume, I start SH4 from a program, game booster, I use to stop other programs running in the background while the SH4 program is running. Thank you for your suggests!
Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 07:42 AM   #6125
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

The FotRSU team would like folks to do some 'vestigatin' for us. Actually, just posting your computer specs and whether or not you experience the 'frozen dials' issue is enough. We are suspecting that we may have 'hit the wall' with the mod, as far as RAM useage is concerned. First impressions from CapnScurvy and myself, seems to support our thinking. The Capn is using WinXP 32-bit on a 2 gig machine, and gets frozen gauges after a save. I'm using a 64-bit Win7, and do not - but we need data to confirm...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 08:54 AM   #6126
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
The FotRSU team would like folks to do some 'vestigatin' for us. Actually, just posting your computer specs and whether or not you experience the 'frozen dials' issue is enough
Win7 64-bit 8Giga Ram
Ati Radeon HD4850 1Giga graphic card
No frozen gauge problems

P.S.
for anyone who using LAA with S.O.32bit ..before activating LAA "prepare" your PC to accept the change ... True? See here:

This is necessary if you have a 32-bit system

Last edited by hauangua; 06-08-18 at 09:23 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 09:45 AM   #6127
propbeanie

Well, CapnScurvy may have blown our original idea as high as a torpedo hitting the conn, by getting his Win10-64 macine to 'freeze' its gauges. The trick to getting frozen gauges might lay in Saving while not in port. Leave port a few hundred km hauangua, using a test career - not something you want to keep - preferably in a Tambor, and do a Save out in the middle of the ocean. Quit the game and come back in. Load the Save, and see what the gauges do...

Old 06-08-18, 09:57 AM   #6128
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Well, CapnScurvy may have blown our original idea as high as a torpedo hitting the conn, by getting his Win10-64 macine to 'freeze' its gauges. The trick to getting frozen gauges might lay in Saving while not in port. Leave port a few hundred km hauangua, using a test career - not something you want to keep - preferably in a Tambor, and do a Save out in the middle of the ocean. Quit the game and come back in. Load the Save, and see what the gauges do...
HI propbeanie I not have gauges problems.. Larrywb57 have this problem I tested more time with my PC (win7 64bit)and all work good, I'm glad with this new beta
Old 06-08-18, 10:12 AM   #6129
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Frozen Dials? - No

Quote:
The FotRSU team would like folks to do some 'vestigatin' for us. Actually, just posting your computer specs and whether or not you experience the 'frozen dials' issue is enough. We are suspecting that we may have 'hit the wall' with the mod, as far as RAM useage is concerned. First impressions from CapnScurvy and myself, seems to support our thinking. The Capn is using WinXP 32-bit on a 2 gig machine, and gets frozen gauges after a save. I'm using a 64-bit Win7, and do not - but we need data to confirm...
Per specs in signature block, have never experienced frozen dials, new mission or saved game reloaded.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 10:32 AM   #6130
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Max Number of Qualified PO's

I've seen this visited before, but not necessarily in FOTRSU:

Why is there such a small limit on the number of qualified Petty Officers? I know that transfers and the occasional casualty may keep down the number of men eligible for attaining a certain qualification, but the limits I run into now seem unreasonably low. After three or four patrols with the same crew I would expect almost all would be able to achieve qualifications in at least the specialty applicable to their respective assignments.

Not being a Navy man, I could be totally off base with my assumption, but I do note that SHIII-GWX when running under SH3 Commander allows ALL to receive some sort of qualification after just one patrol. That may be a bit unrealistic, but still one would expect the expertise of a crew to increase with each patrol, no?

Is there a way a user can increase the number of qualified PO's?

This is not a real big item compared to some you all have to deal with, but it is an irritant, at least to me. Thanks!

Old 06-08-18, 01:44 PM   #6131
propbeanie

Yes, it's possible to do. All of that is in the UPC files, but is low-priority at the moment. We'd have to attempt some research also. I know there were a couple of mods that addressed this directly, and one was incorporated in someone else's "super mod", but I can't remember the particulars. It does get into a lot of aspects of the game though, and can get rather complicated to do. I'm not sure when we'd look at it, but we'll see what we can do...

Can you do a "throw-away" test career start for us torpedobait, starting at Pearl, Porpoise or whatever, everything default. Take off in which ever direction you want, just get a ways away from Pearl, say until dusk, and then crash dive and do a drastic course change. Once you're stable at 150 foot, you should still be going with a hard rudder, so Save the game there. Exit the game. Come back into the game and load that save. See what you get. My gauges show 150 foot, Stop and still with Hard Rudder, trying to get to my direction change from before the save. But if I look at the gauges in the F2 Control Room, or the F9 conning tower, the depth will register 300 foot, speed at stop, dive planes centered, compass at North (no matter which way the boat is actually facing, and the amp gauges at 12 o'clock high. In other words, the boat's gauges are all "centered" and unresponsive... thanks. The "trick" for me to get them to do that was not being near home port, and I haven't done anything else other than a crash dive and course change...

Old 06-08-18, 03:07 PM   #6132
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Yes, it's possible to do. All of that is in the UPC files, but is low-priority at the moment. We'd have to attempt some research also. I know there were a couple of mods that addressed this directly, and one was incorporated in someone else's "super mod", but I can't remember the particulars. It does get into a lot of aspects of the game though, and can get rather complicated to do. I'm not sure when we'd look at it, but we'll see what we can do...

Can you do a "throw-away" test career start for us torpedobait, starting at Pearl, Porpoise or whatever, everything default. Take off in which ever direction you want, just get a ways away from Pearl, say until dusk, and then crash dive and do a drastic course change. Once you're stable at 150 foot, you should still be going with a hard rudder, so Save the game there. Exit the game. Come back into the game and load that save. See what you get. My gauges show 150 foot, Stop and still with Hard Rudder, trying to get to my direction change from before the save. But if I look at the gauges in the F2 Control Room, or the F9 conning tower, the depth will register 300 foot, speed at stop, dive planes centered, compass at North (no matter which way the boat is actually facing, and the amp gauges at 12 o'clock high. In other words, the boat's gauges are all "centered" and unresponsive... thanks. The "trick" for me to get them to do that was not being near home port, and I haven't done anything else other than a crash dive and course change...
Ok, I'll do that in just a minute, but first I need to report another problem, this time with the manual operation of the hydrophone. Starting a new patrol in USS Grayling (SS-209) out of Perth/Fremantle on 04/18/42 I am unable to operate the hydrophone manually. The dial is frozen at due North relative to the boat. I first encountered this in an earlier iteration of this same assignment after entering Area G3. The TC kept dropping out to x8 with no apparent reason. I was motionless at periscope depth. Thinking there must be something out there, I went to the hydrophone to find it frozen. I exited and loaded my first saved game from that mission, but it was frozen there too. That's when I exited the game completely, reloaded it, went to the autosave on leaving base, and found the same condition. No manual operation of the hydrophone. The sonar operator acknowledged commands but without contacts I couldn't tell if it was really working. I don't know if this is unique to the Grayling, the GAR class, or me!

Now, on to the test you requested.

Old 06-08-18, 03:30 PM   #6133
propbeanie

That is an "interior issue" with the boat, and has been addressed. Thanks for that though. If we can find this confounded "centered gauges" that we used to NOT have, we'll be doing an update... unfortunately, we haven't found it yet, but we are narrowing down the suspects. propbeanie is now a "person of interest"...

Old 06-08-18, 03:57 PM   #6134
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

[QUOTE=propbeanie;Can you do a "throw-away" test career start for us torpedobait, starting at Pearl, Porpoise or whatever, everything default. Take off in which ever direction you want, just get a ways away from Pearl, say until dusk, and then crash dive and do a drastic course change. Once you're stable at 150 foot, you should still be going with a hard rudder, so Save the game there. Exit the game. Come back into the game and load that save. See what you get. My gauges show 150 foot, Stop and still with Hard Rudder, trying to get to my direction change from before the save. But if I look at the gauges in the F2 Control Room, or the F9 conning tower, the depth will register 300 foot, speed at stop, dive planes centered, compass at North (no matter which way the boat is actually facing, and the amp gauges at 12 o'clock high. In other words, the boat's gauges are all "centered" and unresponsive... thanks. The "trick" for me to get them to do that was not being near home port, and I haven't done anything else other than a crash dive and course change... [/QUOTE]

Ok, followed your instructions: New career, Porpoise boat (USS Shark); all default settings intact; 12/08/41 out of Pearl.

Departed 12/09 heading due South at Ahead Standard; at 1700 hours (dusk) approximately 52.3 NM South of Pearl executed a Crash Dive; immediately on clearing the surface executed a hard right turn to 000 (North). On reaching approximately 150 feet created a Save and exited the game to Windows.

Restarted the game and loaded my Save game. Dials at bottom of screen show All Ahead Flank, hard Right Rudder, and depth of approximately 152 feet. Depth dial between the two plane operators shows 225 feet. Dials at rear of compartment (over the ship diagrams) show Full Stop, Depth of 260 feet, and compass points due North.Note the clock now shows just shy of 1800 hours! Dials in Conning Tower agree with the latter settings. First pic shows the dials in F2; 2nd pic is from F9.

BTW, the sonar station was operating and I could change the settings just fine. This time there was ambient sound, something missing from the hydrophone station on the Grayling mentioned above.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test Porpoise - F2 Gauges.jpg (50.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Test Porpoise - F9 Gauges.jpg (40.2 KB, 8 views)

Old 06-08-18, 04:00 PM   #6135
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
That is an "interior issue" with the boat, and has been addressed. Thanks for that though. If we can find this confounded "centered gauges" that we used to NOT have, we'll be doing an update... unfortunately, we haven't found it yet, but we are narrowing down the suspects. propbeanie is now a "person of interest"...
I just now noticed your given Rank - funny coincidence - back in the day when I was doing COBOL programming (a L-o-n-g time ago) my nickname around the shop was "SOC-7", the standard code IBM used for a Bad Data Abend. Sigh.