SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-16, 05:01 AM   #706
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
I hope the ships you're referring to are the Dutch Flower corvette and the German Z Class destroyer. They are the ones who appear black with no texture
I am afraid not Billy. The problems I had were with Japanese troopships when I made Typos in the roster files for those ships.
The Dutch Corvette and German Destroyer appearing with no textures was an FOTRS issue. But not to worry - I think CapnScurvy is on this. And if he does not have the time I will have a go at fixing it. It is probably just a typo or something in the roster cfgs for these ships

Quote:
I followed Werner Sobe's Natural Sinking Mechanics mod from its first release. He was forced to introduce arcade keel shots after many user complaints that his ships were sinking too slowly. That is a BIG mistake in my opinion, a mistake that there's no chance I will make. That's where Double R's words are wise.
Absolutely agree with this statement my friend.
The early releases of NSM were absolutely fantastic
Then it all went downhill.
When I realised he had bowed into forum pressure and introduced that 'feature', I was most disappointed.
Trouble I had with it - you didn't even have to hit under the keel - just hitting a ship about centre would cause it to split in two.
Every. Single. Time.
Such a shame

Other news - I have an unexpected day off work -
It is a beautiful day here in London - the sun is shining for once
So what am I doing?

I am sitting in my room playing with Photoshop and SH3D

I expect to have a provisional release of the troopships, tankers and replenishment vessels ready to upload to the Google Drive Thingy this evening

Have a good day everyone

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 06:56 AM   #707
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Has anyone noticed if maybe their crews aren't very talkative, and sometimes in *very* important situations, like "Ship spotted sir! bearing 97!" or maybe "We're taking fire, sir!" or maybe "We're taking damage, sir"... ?? - maybe they think that it's obvious there's a ship about 10 clicks out -not to an old man with bad eyes it ain't - and maybe they think it's obvious they're shooting at us - not until the shells start hitting the hull it ain't - and btw, since when can a merchie be so accurate, that they can hit me on their first shots from 6 miles out??!!??!! Good thing they didn't have anything really big, or I'd would have been a goner again, for like the 10th time in a day...

Anyway, pay attention to your crews and their announcements (or lack thereof), if you will. You will still have to roll "Creaks-And_Crash_Fix" into your install, else you'll get "The Sound" after a crash dive. "And how would you know that so soon, Propbeanie?", you might ask... Well, I *had* to use the crash dive - again.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 07:57 AM   #708
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
CapnScurvy's stuff didn't seem to make it either.
Sorry RR - but I have to second this

Was CapnScury's work meant to be in the Beta?
I cannot see it.

Did you maybe upload the wrong zip file?

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-15-16, 07:58 AM   #709
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Yup. Cauldron malfunction. I'll remix tonight and fix it. That's what happens when you're in a hurry. You forget the wing of bat and end up with mod soup!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 08:38 AM   #710
max-peck
Grey Wolf

No worries mate

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-15-16, 09:13 AM   #711
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Yup. Cauldron malfunction. I'll remix tonight and fix it. That's what happens when you're in a hurry. You forget the wing of bat and end up with mod soup!
It's not unusual to get the recipe wrong once in awhile, boss.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 10:16 AM   #712
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Attention Attention Attention

I have put 800 Razz Dazz FOTRSU v0.1 on the google drive thingy in the WIP Folder

Any testers please feel free to download this and lay on top of whatever aplha or beta version of FOTRSU you are running.

It is the first release of Razzle Dazzle made for FOTRSU

As such it is incomplete

So far it includes skins for the following ships: Tankers, Troop Transports, Replenishment

This is only 15 ships from the FOTRSU directory

I still have 19 freighters to do

Because it only adds texture files, and changes the roster.cfg, I should think the chances of any crashes due to this are minute

Please look out for missing textures - If I have made a typo in either the texture file names, or within the roster.cfgs, you may have a ship appear completely black with no texture at all.

If you see any of these please let me know the ship name - I will fix it

FOTRS Ultimate

Last edited by max-peck; 07-15-16 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 11:44 AM   #713
propbeanie

In the process...

Old 07-15-16, 12:16 PM   #714
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Attention Attention Attention

I have put 800 Razz Dazz FOTRSU v0.1 on the google drive thingy in the WIP Folder

Any testers please feel free to download this and lay on top of whatever aplha or beta version of FOTRSU you are running.

It is the first release of Razzle Dazzle made for FOTRSU

As such it is incomplete

So far it includes skins for the following ships: Tankers, Troop Transports, Replenishment

This is only 15 ships from the FOTRSU directory

I still have 19 freighters to do

Because it only adds texture files, and changes the roster.cfg, I should think the chances of any crashes due to this are minute

Please look out for missing textures - If I have made a typo in either the texture file names, or within the roster.cfgs, you may have a ship appear completely black with no texture at all.

If you see any of these please let me know the ship name - I will fix it
As this is my long day at work, I will d/l your mod tonight after I get home late tonight and give it a whirl this weekend. Along with anything else that comes my way.

Hey, boss. I now have six single missions ready for test run. Would it be Ok if I upload them to our super secret storage place in a zip file so they can be included in one of the next beta releases?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 01:41 PM   #715
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
I followed Werner Sobe's Natural Sinking Mechanics mod from its first release. He was forced to introduce arcade keel shots after many user complaints that his ships were sinking too slowly. That is a BIG mistake in my opinion, a mistake that there's no chance I will make. That's where Double R's words are wise.

Follow your heart and make what YOU think is good. The end user will decide how really good it is. He has a choice.

Billy.
And that's the flip side of the WernerSobe thing. His ships were sinking realistically and people were complaining that took too long. The right answer is "You don't have to use my mod." Instead, WernerSobe put the keel shot in there. A keel shot would be okay because a successful magnetic keel shot would kill in one hit, but the magnetic actuators were pretty cranky and might work 1 in 20 times. Werner's worked every time or just about every time.

Ducimus did the same thing. TMO 1.7 was masterful in my estimation, a pure Ducimus vision of how the game should be played. Then the complaints poured in and Duci just buckled, nerfing one thing after another until he HAD no vision left any more. I think the reason Lurker could mess up the whole mod with RSRDC was that Ducimus didn't even care enough any more to see what changes were being forced on him. Hundreds of people thought they were playing TMO and they were playing RSRDC, then complaining to Ducimus about things they didn't like. Ducimus threw his hands in the air and walked away.

So no, we're not going to do that. Our vision stays pure, that the core mod, FOTRS Ultimate, is a monument to Maddy and the Aces of the Deep, kept as pure as we can without doing discredit to their work. The periscope is a major change and it's safe to say that Maddy would have used it if it were available to him. Maddy also wouldn't have left the stopwatch without a keyboard command if he knew about it. We change things that reflect better on him and his work.

On the Plugins, our vision is the widest range of choices for the player that we can accomplish. We'll do this with single purpose mods that don't step on each other. When we DO have conflicts, as an example between different plotting systems, those mods will have the same number so all players know they must choose one of those to run and no more. There won't be an OTC mod for FOTRS Ultimate. BUT all the individual components of OTC will be available for players to use IF they choose. And a big chunk of it is already going to be in the core mod because of its outstanding contribution to the excellence of the simulation.

You can't call the calibrated scopes eye candy but they're beautiful. You can't call them functional mods because their visual impact is stunning. All of FOTRS Ultimate will be that way, beautiful in appearance AND function, neither sacrificed in favor of the other.

This is shaping up to be the finest supermod in the nine year history of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-16, 02:00 PM   #716
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
A keel shot would be okay because a successful magnetic keel shot would kill in one hit, but the magnetic actuators were pretty cranky and might work 1 in 20 times. Werner's worked every time or just about every time
I remember it being even worse than that RR
A torpedo set to run at 10ft striking somewhere near the middle of the ship would be enough to hit the 'explosive zone' he had put there and split the damn thing in two nearly every time

Most disappointing

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-15-16, 02:05 PM   #717
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

PLEASE, i have one and only one wish.

Is it possible to make map contacts update example 30-60sec intervals ?? I like to play with map contacts on (im not alone in boat after all) but its sad that they are real time , bit too good and if i take them off its bit too bad.

Thanks

-Esa

I will continue my campaing tests, so far this mod is very, very promising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 02:19 PM   #718
propbeanie

That's a thought Haukka81. Like a TMOwtw... auto-targeting, stock keys, and map updates, with & without the direction tails - that kind of stuff, along with an Easy, Medium, Hard, Elite & Crazy-Good AI...

Old 07-15-16, 06:26 PM   #719
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Okay, everyone uh.......toss FOTRS Ultimate v.1 Beta EN in the trash bin. I'm heating up the cauldron and mixing it up again. Think I forgot to put batteries in the cauldron last night.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf

Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat, and slips of yew

Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,—
Make the gruel thick and slab:

Add there to a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingredients of our caldron.
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

EEEEEEEEEEhehehehehehehehe!

Old 07-15-16, 07:01 PM   #720
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
PLEASE, i have one and only one wish.

Is it possible to make map contacts update example 30-60sec intervals ?? I like to play with map contacts on (im not alone in boat after all) but its sad that they are real time , bit too good and if i take them off its bit too bad.

Thanks

-Esa
I tried Tapatalk. Felt like I was in prison! No more serendipity--you just are shown what you are already interested in. Deleted it!

No, it's not possible to update every so many seconds because that part of the game engine is hard-coded with no controls available. Actually, on a real plotting board, the contacts moved in real time, just like the game. If you have a boat with radar, there's nothing wrong with the TMO/FOTRS plotting system. You would have at least that quality information all the time.

We'll have lots of options in FOTRS Ultimate, but plots every so many seconds are nearly impossible. I say nearly, because if you load your microprocessor highly enough it will struggle to multi-task. Instead of switching imperceptibly between threads, it might take a couple of seconds to get back to SH4 and you'll see the plotted position move in jumps instead of smooth movement.

But I don't think that's useful information because it would also interfere with keyboard and mouse input.