SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-18, 05:00 PM   #21
nubbins
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I've noticed that the Sea Lance is not capable of attacking surface ships. In fact, it is somehow automatically prevented from tracking (and therefore attacking) any vessels within about 50-75 ft of the surface. If you launch a Sea Lance against an enemy submarine at 400 ft and they just so happen to decide to surface (maybe after getting hit by one Mk 50), a Mk 50 that is homing in on the sub will suddenly break off as soon as the sub enters the aforementioned 50-75 ft zone. The torpedo will endlessly enter circle search, even if the ship/sub is DIRECTLY above it.

Is this some sort of design feature / flaw or a bug? I ask because I have scoured the weapons.txt for all parameters relating to the usn_mk50 and usn_subrocii but there seems to be nothing responsible for this behaviour. Also, the Mk 50 has SHALLOW, DEEP modes and SNAKE, LEFT, RIGHT but the Sea Lance only permits a SKIM mode. AFAIK this also doesn't seem to work as even if I enable these extra modes on Sea Lance, the Mk 50's behaviour doesn't change.

What leads me to believe that this is probably unintended is that the Metel (Silex) and its parasitic UGMT-1 is all purpose and works against surface ships or shallow submarines, as can be clearly demonstrated if you play one of the playable surface ships.
nubbins is offline   Reply With Quote